Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
i fucking HATE wageslavery, it's anathema to life

this shit isn't fair, I have to now go to take the bus to go to some digital salt mine instead of being able to go to Darkshire, my home, and enjoy purifying it from the vile dead

the worst of all is reading the like ramblings of the broken down wagie boomers on the classicwow reddit who like simply accept their life as slaves in this corrupt world and rejoice at the small things like being generously allowed to play the game a little bit on the weekend, what kind of fucking life is that, how do people end that way, it's so depressing

FUCK

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I assumed Hpally needed crit gear to get to that point. It just seems like priests are oom within the first 20 seconds, which leaves me playing triage the whole time.

Blessing of Wisdom is fucking amazing though.
The difference at this level (i.e. you don't have that talent which returns mana on crit yet) is that flash of light costs a fraction of the mana of flash heal, regrowth or lesser healing wave. I have to check about holy light vs the equivalent spells of the other casters, but I think the situation is similar. It also depends on how good an individual is and how they can manage their mana (downranking, 5 second rule, potions, deciding when to drink when not in combat, etc.)

Last edited:

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sure flash of light costs a fraction but also heals less, so less healing per second, but (all these numbers at lvl34 highest rank spells) it does have 2,3 healing/mana vs flash heal 2,0. Holy light at that level is actually less efficient, 1,95 vs the priest Heal at 2,56 h/m.

As I recall, while leveling a holy priest in vanilla mostly through dungeons I usually tried to use heal/greater heal as much as possible. They're more mana efficient and mean you spend more time out of the 5 second rule for more regen, just need to make sure to start the cast before the tank actually needs healing, and sometimes stop it and recast if he still doesn't need it. Also not surprising if people go oom if they spam shields, it's very inefficient unless you cast it before a pull and can regen before you cast the first heal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm saying this only from the perspective of "seconds it takes to oom" and paladins spamming flash of light vs all others spamming their fastest heals will oom much slower. They shouldn't be doing that, but it might explain why he sees priests ooming so fast compared to his pala.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
My main concern is overhealing, hence I stick to flash of light for basic maintenance (60-80% health range). I typically save Holy Light for when the take dips below 50% and I can pair it with Divine Favor. I should add that try to use Flash of Light in bursts of healing and then stop for regen.

Does it make more sense just to let the tank drop to 50% and use Holy Light?

Edit: I should add the priests are spamming renew, bubbles, and trying to dps with PW: Pain.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Renew is terribly inefficient before 60 and you get some *really* nice gear going, and even then, your go-to rank is rank 3. Shields are an emergency thing only (and some cool tricks you can do with it at some bosses), it's not a staple of the repertoire like WotLK+. If they don't have anything to heal, wand is good enough as extra dps.

Does it make more sense just to let the tank drop to 50% and use Holy Light?
Most of the time, yes. You'll get a feel for when to top off people immediately or wait for them to drop eventually, so I wouldn't sweat it so much. 90% of the time in dungeons, it makes more sense to wait for them to drop low before healing them. As for raids, it depends on the healing environment, if everyone is meter whoring you'll just be spamming flash of light 90% of the time trying to outheal the others.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
God damn.

Can't EVER find a group as rogue. Thanks for removing the LFG system, assholes. So now I ALWAYS have to make a group myself.

Gather a group to RFK. 10 minutes in tank says "g2g, girlfriend came". Fucker. The rest of the group crumbles even though I'm telling them I'll find a new tank. Fuckers.

Gather a second group to RFK. Tank is a guy who's playing FIRST TIME EVER. He can't pull right, he can't keep aggro. Priest doesn't drink between packs, runs out of mana, we wipe. WHAT THE FUCK.

I mean I play HoTS sometimes and I get my ass handed to me, I'm in bronze/silver, i.e. I'm worse than 80% players. And in Wow vanilla I stumble upon the biggest retards of the internet.

Yeah, I'm gonna skip dungeons. Fuck this shit.

This is why you roll a valuable class instead of Rogue lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
God damn.

Can't EVER find a group as rogue. Thanks for removing the LFG system, assholes. So now I ALWAYS have to make a group myself.

Gather a group to RFK. 10 minutes in tank says "g2g, girlfriend came". Fucker. The rest of the group crumbles even though I'm telling them I'll find a new tank. Fuckers.

Gather a second group to RFK. Tank is a guy who's playing FIRST TIME EVER. He can't pull right, he can't keep aggro. Priest doesn't drink between packs, runs out of mana, we wipe. WHAT THE FUCK.

I mean I play HoTS sometimes and I get my ass handed to me, I'm in bronze/silver, i.e. I'm worse than 80% players. And in Wow vanilla I stumble upon the biggest retards of the internet.

Yeah, I'm gonna skip dungeons. Fuck this shit.

This is why you roll a valuable class instead of Rogue lmao.

Wow, they got the vanilla experience to perfection. And people doubted Blizzard.

I always felt like Horde had an easier time leveling. The biggest difference is Horde has access to some of the best dungeons and they're all conveniently placed. In fact, you can level most of your time by just doing dungeons and going into another dungeon off of that. Ragefire Chasm, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, Gnomer (they can take a portal in STV to auto appear by the entrance), Scarlet Monastery, Razorfen Kraul/Downs, etc.

I think they did it on purpose to give an incentive to people to play Horde, since they knew most people would have picked alliance. Horde also has the best advantages for pvp. In STV they have a second flight point up north, which is the reason they dominate that area so easily.

I find it hard to believe that people would prever Alliance over Horde. I mean, even for a franchise that's relatively unimaginative (and a mess, since almost everything is in Warcraft, from steampunk to space aliens to ) Alliance is just BSB. Compare that to Bloodthirsty Savages reinvented-by-WC3 to Noble Savages, sharing land with weed-smoking Jamaican voodoo doctors, Schuonian Plains Indians, although quite beefed up :)cool:) and, uhm... jews? Also 25% of Alliance races is fucking Gnomes. Even after all these years, it still boggles my mind.

I think it's just because Blizzard devs prefer Horde over Alliance, something they even straighforwardly admitted iirc.

xtq8ua5xpsj31.png

0zoooslebak31.png

702zn0a9k6k31.jpg

m752pb1mdfk31.jpg

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Only the undead are in any way interesting on the Horde side, though. I prefer Horde, but would play Ally just to skip the Horde's cancerous leveling experience. Female dwarf master race.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Compare that to Bloodthirsty Savages reinvented-by-WC3 to Noble Savages, sharing land with weed-smoking Jamaican voodoo doctors, Schuonian Plains Indians, although quite beefed up :)cool:) and, uhm... jews? Also 25% of Alliance races is fucking Gnomes. Even after all these years, it still boggles my mind.

That's the problem though. If Horde had the bloodthirsty savages from WC1/WC2 that had all sorts of crazy shit like suicidal Muslim goblins, evil (not this 'misunderstood' bullshit) undead that summoned tornadoes all over and ogre-magi then I'd roll Horde 100%. It's when they tried to make them look all noble and honorable that Horde became an uglier version of the Alliance.

They've been defanged. And Taurens are lame. They should've been ogres. We all know it.

Alliance has pretty much the whole Fellowship of the Ring in terms of races. Horde? They just have goofy caricatures that are rejects of society. Orcs are black people that destroy property, Trolls are Jamaican stoners that squat in other peoples homes which is double true since they don't have a capital city of their own, Tauren are Natives but don't smell as bad, Undead are school shooters.

But Alliance has you being Aragorn and shit. They even have Paladins. Literally the most HEROIC faction out there. Horde get Shamans. SHAMANS. "Me heal you. Me put rocks on your head and smear coconut juice over body. You heal up in morning or we move to frogs." LAME.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I seem to remember, although I am not sure on this point, that the majority of players (and how big of a majority I'm not sure) back in 2004-2006 rolled the "good guys" faction (if we look at it through the lens of all these people having seen the LotR trilogy not long before). IIRC Night Elf hunters and rogues were by far the biggest meme (Xlegolasxx etc.). I much preferred Horde back then, and it seemed that Hordies were more likely to be griefer types and GenX metalheads and shiet.

Now, it seems to me the normies prefer Horde.

Compare that to Bloodthirsty Savages reinvented-by-WC3 to Noble Savages, sharing land with weed-smoking Jamaican voodoo doctors, Schuonian Plains Indians, although quite beefed up :)cool:) and, uhm... jews? Also 25% of Alliance races is fucking Gnomes. Even after all these years, it still boggles my mind.

That's the problem though. If Horde had the bloodthirsty savages from WC1/WC2 that had all sorts of crazy shit like suicidal Muslim goblins, evil (not this 'misunderstood' bullshit) undead that summoned tornadoes all over and ogre-magi then I'd roll Horde 100%. It's when they tried to make them look all noble and honorable that Horde became an uglier version of the Alliance.

They've been defanged. And Taurens are lame. They should've been ogres. We all know it.

Alliance has pretty much the whole Fellowship of the Ring in terms of races. Horde? They just have goofy caricatures that are rejects of society. Orcs are black people that destroy property, Trolls are Jamaican stoners that squat in other peoples homes which is double true since they don't have a capital city of their own, Tauren are Natives but don't smell as bad, Undead are school shooters.

But Alliance has you being Aragorn and shit. They even have Paladins. Literally the most HEROIC faction out there. Horde get Shamans. SHAMANS. "Me heal you. Me put rocks on your head and smear coconut juice over body. You heal up in morning or we move to frogs." LAME.

I pretty much disagree with every single point you have made, however I respect this opinion. No point though in expecting WC2 schtick when WC3 already laid down the threshold for entire WoW.

I however at any single point of even remotely thinking about Warcraft did not associate Orcs with nignogs. As a Potato, I always felt that Orcs are above all noble Polish Slavs, taking pride in their drinking stone and woodworking and Svetovid shamanism, while besieged on both sides by Soviet Union Burning Legion (even the name fits) and Germans Alliance (Thrall was even put in a concentration camp FFS, and don't forget the etymology of Thrall=Slav[e]), yet managed against all odds to reject political correctness demonic corruption, defend their kin and have their own homeland in this hostile world.

Although I agree that the most original and fun race would be Night Elves, mixing Neolithic matriarchy with Celtic and Japanese influence in a most tasteful manner. Ashenvale > all of Eastern Kingdoms.

I seem to remember, although I am not sure on this point, that the majority of players (and how big of a majority I'm not sure) back in 2004-2006 rolled the "good guys" faction (if we look at it through the lens of all these people having seen the LotR trilogy not long before). IIRC Night Elf hunters and rogues were by far the biggest meme (Xlegolasxx etc.). I much preferred Horde back then, and it seemed that Hordies were more likely to be griefer types and GenX metalheads and shiet.

Now, it seems to me the normies prefer Horde.

Well, yeah, the whole "Xlegolasxx" thing was pretty much taken over by storm as soon as Horde got Blood Elves, point taken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom