Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
TLDR if that loop is annoying you it won't get better unfortunately.

Your points are all fair. You do grind, but not in the traditional manner; as you said, defeated enemies respawn with higher health 1-2 times before being gone forever. So you basically have to make at least half a dozen trips through the overworld and the dungeons of each map, killing most weaker spawns to allow you to move onto stronger spawns. Damage calculations appear to factor most heavily in this order: comparison between your Ability and the enemy's max HP > Weapon type (certain weapons have an outsized effect against certain monster types) > Weapon strength. Ability vs HP is very difficult to circumvent (if not outright impossible most of the time), hence the world wandering to find spawns with low enough HP to kill. But weapon type and strength are a little more fuzzy. It's possible to kill monster weak to a Wave weapon with your Maxi Beam, for instance. It just takes a lot longer.

Indoor monsters never respawn. So the gameplay loop is basically: kill smaller monsters in the overworld > kill the first set of indoor monsters > killer stronger monsters in the overworld > kill the next set of indoor monsters > repeat until the map is clear. One final enormous point against the game is that, as far as I can tell, you need to kill absolutely every single monster in the game in order to be able to do more than 2-5 damage to the final boss. Very upsetting if you happen to miss a spawn and have no clue where it is (this made me quit my last playthrough a couple years back).
Having played it a little longer, I can see how you like it, but its not quite as good if you don't have that nostalgia for it. The whole sub-weapons working better against certain enemies is pretty clever for an action game from 1986, albeit I would have liked to have a visual or descriptive way of figuring out what enemies are vulnerable to which kinds of damage. Plus you can actually run past enemies in interior combat, a nice feature if you end up fighting something you can kill, though I suspect this might screw one later.
That said, I won't be playing it any further. The FM-7 version I was playing stopped registering my inputs in menus about an hour in, and the DOS version wasn't working. Alas, I am not going to be playing every version of the game to see if it doesn't have the same glitch in it. Its better than I first implied, but I'm not sure its very good as a blobber.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will add another game soon:

This is an extremely minimalistic jap dungeon crawler that yet gets all the things that make the genre great, and is very enjoyable to play as a result. Resident grognard CryptRat wrote some glowing reviews for it in the thread. Codex mod Zed recommended it aswell, which is funny since it is the first post I have seen from him just about ever. I guess we don't hang around in the same kinds of threads.
I want to finish it before I add it because it is so short, meanwhile it would be nice to hear from those who played it if it should have any combination of ★ and ⚔ due to its unusual attributes of very short length but very high quality in an indie game.

Also another candidate for addition:

Looks to be a plain good indie dungeon crawler, but I will neither play nor add Early Access games to this list.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
This is an extremely minimalistic jap dungeon crawler that yet gets all the things that make the genre great, and is very enjoyable to play as a result.
Yep, played it a couple days ago. Very, very simple – basically the minimal blobber with nothing else on top. But it's well done and fun to play.

I've also played Rance VI quite a while ago – it's great fun, but might need some sort of a disclaimer – basically, it has a large focus on story (if you are a storyfag, you WANT this game), but it also expects you to know all the previous installments in the series, and makes exactly zero compromises on it – characters last seen several installments ago WILL make an appearance, WILL have a major part in the plot, and WON'T have any sort of introduction whatsoever – you are fully expected to have perfect knowledge of previous games, none of which are blobbers.

Arthandas

Prophet
I've also played Rance VI quite a while ago – it's great fun
You must be fucking braindead to think this shit is fun. It's one of the grindiest games I ever played. You constantly fight the same copy pasted groups of enemies, every boss fight is the same, zero tactics involved. Not to mention simple, repetitive and boring dungeons or lack of any balance - Rance can two-shot many bosses with his Rance Attack and you can permastun even the optional endgame bosses.

If you think PFiFB is "well done and fun to play", then it's probably dumbest blobber possible.

thesecret1

Arcane
I've also played Rance VI quite a while ago – it's great fun
You must be fucking braindead to think this shit is fun. It's one of the grindiest games I ever played. You constantly fight the same copy pasted groups of enemies, every boss fight is the same, zero tactics involved. Not to mention simple, repetitive and boring dungeons or lack of any balance - Rance can two-shot many bosses with his Rance Attack and you can permastun even the optional endgame bosses.

If you think PFiFB is "well done and fun to play", then it's probably dumbest blobber possible.
I played it years ago, so I don't remember the pecularities, but I do remember it was fun. Your opinion is noted and discarded.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I added Potato Flowers with a star in the Japanese some Anime category, because while the aesthetic is not anime per se chibi style is an acquired taste (yet nowhere near as acquired as full on moe). I added it with a star, as literally noone who played it on this website disliked it yet.
Rance VI is already in the weeb category with an 18+ disclaimer thesecret1

I am taking another break from the Internet, because fuck I hate web 2.0 with my entire soul. Maybe I will try this digital minimalism thing. Might be a while before another update, but then again, might be a while before another blobber releases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom