Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Butthurt Dungeon: Thac0's Ultimate Blobber List

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
PLz recommend me the best blobber to begin with. An user of this forum recommended me "Lands of Lore", I have very little time a day to play games so I want the opinion of some other users to start a game.
I only need one or two post to decide for a game I see no reason the start a new post for this subject...
Thanks great post!

PD: Tried Legend of Grimrock and did't like It for some reason.
I'd suggest Might & Magic 6 or 8. MM8, while not the best of the series, has a few things that make it much better if its your first or nearly first title. You only have to make one character in an environment where your not sure which skills are useful yet; The opening section isn't as difficult to get used to compared to the previous two MM games; And in general its a bit easier. MM6 is the first of the 3D MM games, and you can generally figure things out if you have some decent RPG experience. Its got a few mechanics that make it very interesting compared to its two sequels. They don't really sound interesting until you play the latter ones though.
I would not actually suggest MM7 as a first title. This is nothing against it, I like every game in the series from 3 to 8, but I remember back when I first played MM7 that the first two sections absolutely brutalized me the first couple times I played it. For me, the MM series was the first blobbers I played, and if you started on 7, which I roughly did, you're going to get slaughtered there. In MM6 you'll probably get slaughtered too, but its set-up so you can deal with that much better, MM7 sort of throws you at a big chunk of enemies straight off and expects you to know what you're doing.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fair point though I'm not criticizing it after a single screenshot, I checked the Steam forums, some reddit threads and a few youtube reviews. If even the casuals can beat it on Nightmare, then what are we even talking about?

They don't, you can change the difficulty in game and on your first playthrough, you can't start on nightmare.
There is quite a lot of difficult fights and if you set a high difficulty when you're not ready, you'll get wrecked.

But casuals and steamtards are just showing off, they cheat, look-up best builds, grind their ass off up until the point where they can make the nightmare difficulty "easy" to be allowed into the steam retards grinders club...

Arthandas

Prophet
They don't, you can change the difficulty in game and on your first playthrough, you can't start on nightmare.
There is quite a lot of difficult fights and if you set a high difficulty when you're not ready, you'll get wrecked.
Fine, I guess I'll have to try it myself. I see it gets a pretty big price cut during Steam sales so I'll wait until then, I'm still playing early Wizardries and it'll be a while before I finish them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fine, I guess I'll have to try it myself. I see it gets a pretty big price cut during Steam sales so I'll wait until then, I'm still playing early Wizardries and it'll be a while before I finish them.

The game mechanics are good but the game is the tutorial and you'll get the game's features one by one at an extremely slow pace.

Also, be aware that the story is extremely retarded, you can skip it but sometimes it'll make you miss the one important info (and you might have to check a walkthrough because of it, beats reading the story though).
A lot of backtracking too due to the story blocking/unlocking your dungeon progression.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just a tiny update, Mary Skelter Finale released and is apparently more of the same, earning it the same spot as the previous games.

Casual Hero

Augur
PLz recommend me the best blobber to begin with. An user of this forum recommended me "Lands of Lore", I have very little time a day to play games so I want the opinion of some other users to start a game.
I only need one or two post to decide for a game I see no reason the start a new post for this subject...
Thanks great post!

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. One of the first, and still one of the best. Only 10 levels, so very straight forward.
Play the Playstation 1 port; it was Japan-only, but it has English settings so it is fully playable. SNES version is good as well, and a recent update to the hack lets you have things like spell descriptions in English.

Rarre

Educated
Thanks great post!

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. One of the first, and still one of the best. Only 10 levels, so very straight forward.
Play the Playstation 1 port; it was Japan-only, but it has English settings so it is fully playable. SNES version is good as well, and a recent update to the hack lets you have things like spell descriptions in English.

Thank you, already playing M&M 10, aestethic and graphics are terrible but I like the gameplay a lot. I will search this one you mention.

Salut

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Added Dungeon Encounters ★ to the zero anime category.
Delightfull out of nowhere hit from Square Enix, with a well executed addicting gameplay loop and very old school design philosophy.

Read the thread:
New Crawler "Dungeon Encounters" by Square Enix, budget lower than the rpgcodex server costs
for horror stories about weapon breakage, petrification, being put into debt by robbers, having to run rescue parties after total party wipes and acquiring overpowered gear from math riddles.
This is easily one of the best games to get into Japanese dungeon crawlers with, all you need to swallow is the odd perspective which might disqualify it as a blobber for some. It is however very much about dungeon crawling in the style of Wizardry.

Last edited:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Added Dungeon Encounters ★ to the zero anime category.
Is it really "zero" anime when one of the characters is Legally Distinct Totoro?

EDIT: Also I'd like to point out that it should be stylized as DUNGEON ENCOUNTERS. More also: Dark Spire should be The Dark Spire and Wizardry Empires should be Wizardry Empire.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Is it really "zero" anime when one of the characters is Legally Distinct Totoro?

Miyazaki isn't exactly fond of modern anime ;):
hfxjTc7.jpg

Then you have no excuse not to return Xulima to the list.

I am for the inclusion of Xulima, but Xulima has almost no dungeoneering aspects. The feeling of slowly whittling through a map, taking the encounters from weakest to strongest, revisiting old maps and managing food and gold is closer to Kings Bounty with blobber combat. But Dungeon Encounters is not in for the combat, if anything that even plays second fiddle in the game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Another small addition:
Undernauts Labyrinth of Yomi ⚔

Labyrinth of Yomi doesn't seem to add many new things to the dungeon crawling formula, and has the added problem of being an even further simplified and very easy drpg, from a company that already makes pretty much the easiest crawlers around. Due to the bad reception in the thread I added it with swords. It also went into the same "some anime" category as sword city, as these games surprisingly playable for Western grognards due to the close proximity to Wizardry.
I could be convinced to take the swords away due to the very sexy artstyle the game has.

Also a small heads up:

Wizardry: The Five Ordeals is on Steam now, but English is not supported yet.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Where is Shining the Holy Ark?

Added it into the same category as Shining in the Darkness with the same rank (neither Swords nor Star)

Thac0 I recommend adding a year of release and platform next to each title for quick reference if possible.

Thats quite a bit of work of which I am not sure many people will care about. Maybe in the future.

Also as I saw that you brofisted that obscure Square Enix dungeon crawler I found, I did some digging about it, and apparently Squeenix was porting the games of a few other small friendly developers at the time, but most of them were apparently not very good. Square Enix however also made two pre Final Fantasy dungeon crawlers on their own, which are both pretty obscure now, but apparently not bad?

The Cursed treasure of Cleopatra has a translation:
http://dvdtranslations.eludevisibility.org/cleopatra.html

For Cruise Chaser Blassty there are a few English download links floating around aswell, but they look more shady than the Cleopatra one, and also the game is supposed to be overall worse (as by http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/cruise-chaser-blassty-japanese-video-game-obscurity/) so I won't link them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom