Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

ds

Cipher
Patron
"Master" tier??‽ As a programmer Tim should know that context doesn't matter anymore and it needs to be called the "main" tier now unless you are a racist nazi.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can't really fault him, every video he uploads gets over 100 comments. Imagine making a thread every day that gets hundreds of replies. It's not like here where each video gets a handful of posts in response.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Can't really fault him, every video he uploads gets over 100 comments. Imagine making a thread every day that gets hundreds of replies. It's not like here where each video gets a handful of posts in response.
TBF you can't really compare YouTube to some niche RPG forum. Didn't YouTube send him a plaque a while back?

I tried to watch a few of his videos because I respect Tim's legacy, but most of his videos seem unscripted and are just staring at his face as he meanders around the point.

I don't really get why people love watching people talk. It must be that parasocial thing everybody keeps talking about.

Melcar

Arcane
TBF you can't really compare YouTube to some niche RPG forum. Didn't YouTube send him a plaque a while back?

I tried to watch a few of his videos because I respect Tim's legacy, but most of his videos seem unscripted and are just staring at his face as he meanders around the point.

I don't really get why people love watching people talk. It must be that parasocial thing everybody keeps talking about.
I bet most of his core viewers are just old fans from the Interplay days, and they just watch because of nostalgia and for interesting anecdotes. Nothing wrong with that and I doubt you need a script.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I watch Tim's videos because he's an interesting case of someone who used to be respected for seemingly good reasons and whose career took a nosedive later on. It's the same as with other early RPG developers, and the question of wether they were genuinely gifted or if their success was happenstance (due to less competition etc.).

Also Tim embarasses himself regularly in these and that makes it fun to watch. Like a drunk gay uncle at Christmas who feels like he has a lot of wisdom to share.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I watch Tim's videos because he's an interesting case of someone who used to be respected for seemingly good reasons and whose career took a nosedive later on. It's the same as with other early RPG developers, and the question of wether they were genuinely gifted or if their success was happenstance (due to less competition etc.).

Also Tim embarasses himself regularly in these and that makes it fun to watch. Like a drunk gay uncle at Christmas who feels like he has a lot of wisdom to share.
Most creative people lose touch with reality as they get older. Metallica thought their fans wanted to hear southern rock in the 90s. Tim thought his fans wanted to play with triangles in the 10s.

Reminder that the man probably forgot more about making games than most devs ever learned in their lifetimes.
Tim Cain casts a long shadow. When in doubt, sometimes listening to the wisdom of the Elders is good advice. Who knows, he might have some insight you need.
Plus, the man has been through a lot.

I need to remind myself to go through all his videos one day.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tim is stealing ideas from Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader (killing monsters gives souls which power mana). Or wait, wasn't that Diablo?

Crafting from souls, let alone different types of souls, sounds horrible.

More Diablo crap like item sets and bad ideas like set related quests.

Areas closed off until quests are done was in Arcanum (Shrouded Hills bridge, Elven settlement).

Can't resist the urge to go to Castle Evil if you're evil? :lol:

tl;dr all his ideas are terrible. We need transcripts of actual Troika brainstorming sessions to see who came up with which ideas.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I think Tim seems like a nice dude and I enjoy watching his videos when they're on topics that interest me. I'm not interested in interacting with him so there's no point in me getting a membership but if people are that keen to have him answer their questions he might as well monetize it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I found a PowerPoint that I had made in mid-1999 to present at the GDC 1999 Roadtrip Conference in Austin, TX. I never gave this presentation, so here it is, a time capsule from 25 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom