Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Wesp5

Arcane
I would guess both. Valve gave them an unfinished version of the Source engine that they kept changing all the time, so Troika had to restart over and over again with Bloodlines. This annoyed Activision so much that they told them to stop development before they were finished and then released the game at the very same day as HL2 which was really stupid. On the other hand just judging from all the unfinished stuff I found in the game files, Troika really had feature creep going on with Bloodlines tool!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the lore, was Troika fucked over by publishers or was it their own fault?
Yes.

Jokes aside. It was a mix of both. Valve did their best to screw them over. Publisher relationship was up and down. On the other hand, they have said that their own business decisions were questionable. Buggy releases also didn't help.

It's not hard to see why the top dogs of Troika don't want to start a new studio, or have leadership roles.

When it comes to people not being happy about them forming a studio, one such person was probably Fargo. There are a few more I suspect weren't very happy, but these are all suits.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Didn't Tim admit to using Fallout code on Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil? The janky character movement is certainly the same between Fallout and Arcanum.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Valve did their best to screw them over.
Tim's said he's never had any issues with Valve. "You can't release your game before ours" was something they were upfront about and they made the decision to use the engine anyway.

Didn't Tim admit to using Fallout code on Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil? The janky character movement is certainly the same between Fallout and Arcanum.
Exact opposite. Interplay brought a programmer over to confirm that he wasn't using any Fallout code because they were very paranoid and litigious.

Wesp5

Arcane
Valve did their best to screw them over.
Tim's said he's never had any issues with Valve.

I'm pretty sure somebody said that they lost a lot of time because Valve kept changing their engine. It might have been Leonard though as Tim came on late in development and maybe by the time Troika had frozen on the alpha engine they used.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm pretty sure somebody said that they lost a lot of time because Valve kept changing their engine. It might have been Leonard though as Tim came on late in development and maybe by the time Troika had frozen on the alpha engine they used.
This was something they very well knew would happen when they agreed to use it in 2001. Half-Life 2 wasn't released until three years later, of course it was far from being finished and would keep getting improvements during that time.

Wesp5

Arcane
This was something they very well knew would happen when they agreed to use it in 2001. Half-Life 2 wasn't released until three years later, of course it was far from being finished and would keep getting improvements during that time.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure Valve lied about the state of the engine or their development speed when they sold it to Troika. The leak of the Half-Life 2 alpha and especially the insolence to even use that to explain the HL2 delays is proof enough!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Activision wanted Tim, Leonard, and Jason to work on Bloodlines and Tim put his foot down and said they couldn't have him because he really wanted to be on Temple.

Tim says one of the reasons why he can't release the source for Arcanum and ToEE is because you could use that to remove DRM, but GOG already did that...?

One of the reasons there's no remaster for ToEE is because they'd have to license it from Tim.

Atari was late on every milestone payment.

All the dialogue was finished after nine months.

After a year, Tim was fuming about a two-month-late payment and they told him "if you're so desperate for money, get a loan." He responded by saying it looked like they were the ones desperate for money, and they paid him two days later. This came back to bite him when this was followed by Atari sending a list of things they wanted removed to make it a T-rated game (they were under the impression they were making an M rated game).

Atari didn't want to pay to test patches and Troika wasn't allowed to release unofficial patches either. Fortunately "Circle of Eight" could do it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Remember also that Atari's testers didn't feel like playing Bard, so it just went untested and shipped with major bugs.

Old Hans

Arcane
I would guess both. Valve gave them an unfinished version of the Source engine that they kept changing all the time, so Troika had to restart over and over again with Bloodlines. This annoyed Activision so much that they told them to stop development before they were finished and then released the game at the very same day as HL2 which was really stupid. On the other hand just judging from all the unfinished stuff I found in the game files, Troika really had feature creep going on with Bloodlines tool!
I always thought it was weird that Valve would let Trioka use their unfinished Source engine before Halflife 2 was even released.

Wesp5

Arcane
I always thought it was weird that Valve would let Trioka use their unfinished Source engine before Halflife 2 was even released.

Valve probably didn't thought they would delay everything so much themselves, but I guess Gabe Newell was only interested in cementing the Steam monopoly and didn't care at all about the HL2 development at the time.

Wesp5

Arcane
Remember also that Atari's testers didn't feel like playing Bard, so it just went untested and shipped with major bugs.

Great. This is similar to the proven fact that Activision's tester never played the whole Bloodlines game as Nosferatu.

Vatnik Wumao
It's a wonder we even got the games we got, in whatever horrendous state they are in.

I wonder how common this was/is. VtM: Redemption also had a true clusterfuck of a development cycle.
Seems to be every game ever. I'm becoming seriously disillusioned with the whole thing.
1680179101556422.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom