Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am surprised there was less of an "outrage" here over the "cancellation" of Tim Cain because of his refusal to repent capitalism.

LOVELY.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Its pretty funny. When MCA said the same thing redditors were seething and saying things like 'Well this is just Avellone, he only worked on the sequels, he has no way of knowing what the original creators intended, the real person behind Fallout is Tim Cain anyway, etc, etc'. Now Tim said the same thing and their new argument is 'Well a lot of people worked on the games so its possible some of them added those themes without him noticing'.

el-risitas-juan-joya-borja.gif
Avellone knows to always pay respect to the source material and carefully study it.
Case in point: Planescape Torment, also KOTOR 2.

Odoryuk

Educated
Actually, that one modeller that worked on 3d models for tiles might have harbour some negative feelings towards capitalism, so... Yeah

Silvanus

Literate
Fallout makes its core theme clear from the very first voiced line, but it's not surprising that the idiot "media literacy" crowd fail to notice this.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Actually, that one modeller that worked on 3d models for tiles might have harbour some negative feelings towards capitalism, so... Yeah
It was the 50s consumerist aesthetic of Fallout.
"Let's all drink Nuka-Colas while fucking up some commies! Democracy FUCK YEAH!!!"
That was it.
Of course, the Reddit crowd interpreted it as some disguised critique of capitalism...

dutchwench

Novice
"Oh shit, I posted something for shits and giggles, but then I remembered people somehow listen to my opinion, and now gaming outlets are discussing what I said."
Wasn't this his reaction to people clowning on him for the Canadian race war thing as well? Will this literal adult male ever stop running from people making funny photoshops of him online?
I can't imagine Todd acting like this. He should do a the Master thing and dunk all of his beta male subordinates in FEV.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Such a weird polemic. War was always the main theme. I see capitalism in the games as the crazy consumerism of the 50s aesthetics and maybe as a somewhat catalyzer for the war. But definitely not the main motif of the games

Silvanus

Literate
Such a weird polemic. War was always the main theme. I see capitalism in the games as the crazy consumerism of the 50s aesthetics and maybe as a somewhat catalyzer for the war. But definitely not the main motif of the games
Any capitalist and consumerist motifs seemed to me to be present simply because the game was set in the USA and wanted to clearly show the player what locale they were in, along with some glimpses of pre-war culture. There's nothing present to suggest that it's something deeper than that and especially nothing to suggest that consumerism ties in with the war in some way. In a Chinese or Russian Fallout setting one would see similarly parodic depictions of communism for the same reasons.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I doubt there are that many people out there who want to play every piece of shovelware on Steam.

As far as I'm concerned I've played just about every game I'd have more than a mild amount of interested in. Absolutely manageable if you have standards.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm so pissed that Fallout is not about criticizing Capitalism. I'm going to find comfort and solace in the one game that has never left me down, The Sims 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom