Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Watched it in its entirety. It's very nostalgic and you can tell they're forever bound by those experiences and will reminisce with enthusiasm, laughing for the hundredth time at old jokes, etc. But there's not much to repost here.

This was the song Leonard originally wanted in the intro, but couldn't get, because it was too expensive:
(We'll meet again by Vera Lynn, if it doesn't load for you, Nick)

And the Pip Boy was inspired by the Monopoly guy, Bob's Big Boy and The Jetsons.
fae0cabf720d0f3d932c048716f277d6.png

And for the first 6 months of development they were making an ode to Road Warrior, hadn't even thought of making it original and theirs in any way. Only then Leonard came up with retrofuturism. And the Brotherhood of Steel was a copycat of an organization from some sci-fi novel, but I didn't write it down. And self-admittedly, Leonard's power armor wasn't retrofuturistic, but it seemed cool, and that was enough. The lantern on its helmet was inspired by the City of Lost Children that Leonard had just watched.

They finished saying they should do another one of these on Arcanum and Vampire. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks and agree, not much new info but cool to see them together.
I especially liked Leonard's explanation about the clay-heads, and how much work went into those.

Insane how much work Scott Everts did on levels, too!

That 'some sci-fi novel' you refer to is Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller's Hugo Award winning novel from 1959

Leibowitz also inspired....
FvI33KwaYAcTCap
(LINK IN SIGNATURE)

Last edited:

PapaPetro

This might be true, but Tim did choose to go out and found his own company afterwards.
While Troika's games were pure
incline.png
, it was another tragic failure of business mismanagement. It's why Publishers became the de facto managers of these dev studios after the 90s and early 00s.

Brian Fargo was one of those guys.
True, he was a Tim Cain type making successful games on his own before founding Interplay. But while those 90s guys were great at making video games, they were terrible at making and running their own companies. It's a completely different skillset.
All those guys tried, didn't make their nut with their own studios, folded, and are now doing sinecure jobs for mobile game companies/schlock factories with the occasional GDC 'memberberries speech.
(And no, I don't remember Outer Worlds or will in the future).

You'd think these legends would be more utilized in today's market...

Maldoror

Augur
The amount of Codexers that feel the need to consistently reiterate to other Codexers that they didn't like The Outer Worlds is astonishing. That game must be more beloved here than anywhere else on the web!
:greatjob:

PapaPetro

The amount of Codexers that feel the need to consistently reiterate to other Codexers that they didn't like The Outer Worlds is astonishing. That game must be more beloved here than anywhere else on the web!
:greatjob:
I just never bothered to play it.

PapaPetro

I just never bothered to play it.
Which is fair.
I did my due diligence; checked out some LPs, sorted the Steam reviews by negative to see the consensus on the flaws, checked the mod scene, etc.
Saves me time & money as much as I want to play everything myself to find out.

Kinda feel bad for new games these days. They got a lot of competition from the past that still holds up.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Fargo really did him dirty with the bonus stuff and showed some serious lack of wisdom. While i understand that he was pissed off for the delay, punishing his best programmer because he would not snitch on his team was a very very very stupid decision.
How the fuck do you motivate a guy who just showed you he has integrity by taking away his bonus? He should fucking apologize to Cain and let him work on the Arcanum IP now that Microsoft has it. He already has Jason Anderson at InXile and if Tim joins then Boyarksy will surely follow. He has the resources and the Troika dudes can concentrate solely on the game. They have around 5 years tops before they burn out completly. At least they can make a proper Arcanum before they retire and Fargo can redeem himself with a proper RPG game.

Maldoror

Augur

Kinda feel bad for new games these days. They got a lot of competition from the past that still holds up.
It really is a shame that the 90s and early 2000s were the peak of many game genres - I genuinely feel bad for modern gamedevs. At least, the ones who are putting in a sincere effort.
On that note though, there are so many fantastic games in the indie scene that there is simply not enough time to play most games. There are games releasing that have competition from titles I bought years ago that have been collecting dust in my Steam or GOG library. Tough.

Melcar

Arcane
Well someone had to take the blame. Maybe it was better to dock the bonuses of everyone.
The buck stops with the leader. No?
Fargo should have docked Fargo's bonus?
In other words, he should have fucked himself.
Yes.
A bad leader privatizes his victories and socializes his losses.
A good leader shares his Ws and owns his Ls.
So you can say his mistake was entrusting Cain with the job.

PapaPetro

Well someone had to take the blame. Maybe it was better to dock the bonuses of everyone.
The buck stops with the leader. No?
Fargo should have docked Fargo's bonus?
In other words, he should have fucked himself.
Yes.
A bad leader privatizes his victories and socializes his losses.
A good leader shares his Ws and owns his Ls.
So you can say his mistake was entrusting Cain with the job.
The
incline.png
of Fallout 1 was worth it.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I had the weirdest dream today. I was on some kind of a school trip as a kid, and Tim Cain and his boyfriend were our tour guides. We were in a hotel, and the only way to exit my room was through Tim Cain's room. I tried going out, but Tim and his bf were banging each other, and Tim jumped up and scolded me that I entered his room. I explained that there's no other way but through his my room. So he agreed that it was okay then, and then offered to show me an early Fallout 1 build with GURPS in it, in exchange for a bit of anal sex.

Don't ask me if I enjoyed the early build, I did NOT agree!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another day of Cain:

I answer many questions that have been asked over the last few weeks, so hopefully people can watch this video and refer back to it if those questions are asked again.

In brief, here's what I cover:

- This channel is to talk about the game development of my own games.

- I’m not trying to start a Kickstarter, make a new IP, or reform Troika.

- I don’t own the rights to Fallout, Arcanum, or Bloodlines, so I cannot make a remaster or a sequel. Contact Bethesda or Activision for questions about that.

- I do own the code for Arcanum and Temple but I cannot release it. Contracts and NDAs still apply. I have compiled them on modern compilers, for fun.

- I’m currently a contractor, working for several companies, including Obsidian. I’m not an employee of Obsidian or Microsoft or any other company.

- I’m working on TOW2, but as a contractor. I’m not the director.

- I’m not going to play other people’s games, or rank them, or review them.

- I didn’t work on Fallout New Vegas. It shipped the year before I started at Obsidian, so I have no stories to tell about it.

- I don’t want to talk about events I didn’t witness, and I never want to tell you what someone else was thinking or feeling or planning. Because I don’t know. I can just tell you what they did.

- I’m not going to do regular interviews with other developers, but as questions about my games accumulate that I don’t have answers to, I’ll invite old colleagues on to answer those questions

- Why am I doing this? I’m now the age my father was when he passed away. I want some of the stories remembered, and apparently I’m a better speaker than a writer. So you get videos instead of a book.

- It’s hard to tell true stories. Everyone remembers events differently. Even with my notes, people have disagreed with me. Often it’s a matter of subtle difference, e.g. we had made the Temple starting area for Fallout 2 early on, but it wasn’t a tutorial and it was skippable. That’s one of the reasons I implore you not to cast my stories with heroes and villains. That changes with perspective, either from different people’s viewpoints or the same persons viewpoint changing over time. As I’ve gotten older and my color vision has faded, ironically I see things less as black and white. I recommend you do the same.

Yosharian

Arcane
Lol guys it was a joke. I didn't actually thumb down the video.

I fucking hate that game though.

It was interesting hearing how much of a dick Fargo is/was

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom