Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Zeriel

Arcane
Here's the Codexian version then: faggots gonna faggot.
The Science™ is not Settled™ on this, looks like.
Creativity seems to be correlated with testosterone in some studies, but inversely correlated in others.
The funniest one is on music directors. They had lower urinary testosterone levels, but higher salivary testosterone levels. So I guess it also matters what you are measuring for it.
Maybe just judge this game designer on his work and not on his penis, is what I am asking. We know his work. We don't know his penis. At least I don't, and I'm afraid to ask you.

Testosterone has nothing to do with your penis, bro. Women can have hormonal imbalances of testosterone and estrogen, too.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about all of the problems we ran into trying to make The Temple of Elemental Evil. TLDW: these problems were all my fault.

p.s. this is a long video that is less positive than my other ones, but there are some good lessons to learn in it. Consider this video a cautionary tale of game development.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I talk about all of the problems we ran into trying to make The Temple of Elemental Evil. TLDW: these problems were all my fault.

p.s. this is a long video that is less positive than my other ones, but there are some good lessons to learn in it. Consider this video a cautionary tale of game development.

Modern devs should take notes from this man on how to be humble and able to acknowledge their own mistakes.

Maldoror

Augur
"Can you believe that they didn't want to see my kidney stone?"
Yes? Imagine your boss running up to you while you're hard at work on a game and putting a kidney stone in your face.

I agree with him on sequels, it's one of the declines in gaming(as well in movies and some books). Instead of making new original games with original mechanics, worlds.. companies just reskin the same shit over and over again, sometimes with subtle improvements between each game, sometimes worse, it kills innovation and creativity. The same happens with some books and movies where they release shit tons of filler sequels, just because the first one was sucessful, thus creating a profitable brand. This makes a game, a movie or a book less 'art' and more like products to sell, imagine if there was Mona Lisa 2?

Fallout would be perfect if just ended with the first one, same with Baldur's Gate, Gothic, Diablo, Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls, System Shock... these games did not need sequels, that does not mean that the sequels for these games are bad, most are better, but the effort could've been put making a new game instead. Yeah, we would have lost great games but think about what we could have gained if companies focused on making new IPs instead of making sequels.

Of course i know making new IPs every time is not viable from a business standpoint.

So my respect for Cain for understanding this, he wanted to create art and not just products.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
On this episode, we cover how to make a stay awake for 72 hours consuming nothing but bar peanuts and Negronis.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
c56a91dc7047e0ae3813dc3db4cdd26b.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Making all your videos 9 minutes long just so people too ignorant to use an adblocker (I'm aware youtube has plans to address this but it hasn't happened yet) don't see them is a bit much.

Shadenuat

Arcane
"I wrote war never changes and thought i am writer. Turned out it just actor could make even reading phone book interesting"

Jrpgfan

Erudite
He's a better writer than the hacks in the big vidya studios though.

Atleast he tries to create interesting/fun characters and plots.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In a perfect turn-based world, he would take what he learned from Arcanum and ToEE, and create his magnum opus.

Maldoror

Augur
Gygax was planning on introducing Chaotic Good Paladins - with a Celtic flair
Incline. Good shit.
Oh, and Tim says that he cut up his original module to distribute it to the devs. Instead of just copying it.
What?
:what:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, and Tim says that he cut up his original module to distribute it to the devs. Instead of just copying it.
What?
You have to cut the pages out to properly scan/copy them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom