Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about my thoughts on speedrunning in video games.

p.s. I think I found the right camera settings, especially for you "color seeing" people. :)

p.p.s. Once again, despite being almost 10 minutes long, this video has a pre-roll ad added by YouTube that I cannot remove.

PapaPetro

p.p.s. Once again, despite being almost 10 minutes long, this video has a pre-roll ad added by YouTube that I cannot remove.
I assume mobile.
You don't use Firefox + the Ublock Origin add on? That clears YT right up.
Also there's the Opera browser which blocks YT ads out the gate.

I talk about my thoughts on speedrunning in video games.
vlvOYRB.jpg

Mouse 1
Scientist 0

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If this is the camera "fixed" then it's just a total downgrade. Robert messed up.

They estimated 40-60 hours for Fallout 1, that's a big overestimate. 40 max if you're slow and doing everything https://howlongtobeat.com/game/3338

Harthwain

Magister
While it may look reasonable on paper, it is kinda like communism of roleplaying. If you reward fighter for victory over powerful monster, or rogue for going through corridor full of traps, or ranger for taming dangerous beast, or wizard for learning spell from disenchanting big undead skeleton armor, you reward their play in character directly. If you just reward for objective, it's just a bland and arbitrary same "quest reward" which everyone in party gets.
The main reason the classic RPGs give XP for monsters and traps is because you have to level up while fighting things inside a dungeon (or fight in general). This kind of design is less necessary if you have more activities than spelunking.

I like objective-based rewards, because they make you focus on an objective, not on a specific method you take to get there. This allows for more free-form approach. In general I think getting XP is subpar way of character progression and that it ought to be handled differently. Then you can focus on making your reward more material/substantial and perhaps even have a few choices of what your reward could be.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
While it may look reasonable on paper, it is kinda like communism of roleplaying. If you reward fighter for victory over powerful monster, or rogue for going through corridor full of traps, or ranger for taming dangerous beast, or wizard for learning spell from disenchanting big undead skeleton armor, you reward their play in character directly. If you just reward for objective, it's just a bland and arbitrary same "quest reward" which everyone in party gets.
The main reason the classic RPGs give XP for monsters and traps is because you have to level up while fighting things inside a dungeon (or fight in general). This kind of design is less necessary if you have more activities than spelunking.

I like objective-based rewards, because they make you focus on an objective, not on a specific method you take to get there. This allows for more free-form approach. In general I think getting XP is subpar way of character progression and that it ought to be handled differently. Then you can focus on making your reward more material/substantial and perhaps even have a few choices of what your reward could be.

Thankfully all attempts to replace combat XP haven't caught and most games go back to this approach eventually

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Thankfully all attempts to replace combat XP haven't caught and most games go back to this approach eventually
The Elder Scrolls is massively popular and it handles experience differently.
I've always felt that TES has one of the worst ways of handling experience. In theory it's a nice system, but in practice it's always very grindy and in the most tedious ways. I find that you have to go out of your way to play in a very unnatural way if you want to make any meaningful progress with your character, which is ironic for what the system is trying to do.

Harthwain

Magister
I've always felt that TES has one of the worst ways of handling experience. In theory it's a nice system, but in practice it's always very grindy and in the most tedious ways. I find that you have to go out of your way to play in a very unnatural way if you want to make any meaningful progress with your character, which is ironic for what the system is trying to do.
It could be refined into something even better, that's true. Still, I like how organic it feels versus the traditional system, which is very artificial and encourages being a murderhobo, instead of bringing the player's focus to other things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I never felt the need to grind in any TES game though I did use to a mod for Oblivion to change how level scaling worked.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It could be refined into something even better, that's true. Still, I like how organic it feels versus the traditional system, which is very artificial and encourages being a murderhobo, instead of bringing the player's focus to other things.

Funny how most people play TES games as murderhobo's paradise then

Harthwain

Magister
Funny how most people play TES games as murderhobo's paradise then
Oh, you misunderstood - I meant it encourages being a muderhobo [in a traditional system] in order to get EXP. In TES you can play as a thief and not have to focus on the killing part as much just to progress. My favourite thing in Morrowind was using magic (my first character) and exploration. Killing was just a filler.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Deus Ex gives you skill points for objectives and exploration, and it works perfectly. In fact it was a serious downgrade when later games gave XP for kills.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I never felt the need to grind in any TES game though I did use to a mod for Oblivion to change how level scaling worked.
Thanks to level scaling you don't have to. But if you want to interact with the skills in Skyrim on a higher level and get "more" out of them then you're gonna have to schlep a bit. The crafting skills require a good bit of dull grind with lots of forcing time to go by to respawn places for more crafting materials. And good luck with leveling some choice skills such as Barter or Speech. Yeah they're useless, but if you *wanted* to level them up, boy, good luck. Then there are some skills like Illusion which can be taken to level cap in a matter of minutes under favorable conditions (magicka cost reduction gear).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Amnesia makes Cain seethe. Fallout 2 originally started with you playing as the Vault Dweller who gets beaten back to level 1 and left with amnesia. :lol:

"I don't like romance options in RPGs." Tim was all for paying for sex and casual flings in games, but long romance arcs? Ick. Though in our post-Tropes-vs-women world we couldn't even get the prostitutes in The Outer Worlds so (good old Sawyer included them in the Pillars games, though I'd be surprised to see them in Avowed). :M

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Skyrim did improve on how skills are leveled, making it more rewarding to just play the game normally without grinding.

Combat skills in earlier games gained skill experience per strike, in Skyrim they changed it to per damage dealt, meaning you are no longer encouraged to use a dull dagger over a sharp claymore.
Sneak attacks were made to give Sneak experience, which meant you get a small amount of experience when sneaking around enemies and a big chunk of experience when attacking from stealth (previously all that did was removing your source of skill experience).
And by merging Mercantile with Speech(craft), you get a constant flow of minor skill experience for selling your loot, and a big chunk of skill experience when passing skill checks in dialogue, replacing the dumb (Morrowind) and insane (Oblivion) mini-game grind to get Speechcraft experince in earlier games.

But if you want to interact with the skills in Skyrim on a higher level and get "more" out of them then you're gonna have to schlep a bit. The crafting skills require a good bit of dull grind with lots of forcing time to go by to respawn places for more crafting materials.
They smartly removed skills for running/jumping since every player uses those all the time (yes yes, the attrbutes for those should have stayed), but the crafting skills in Skyrim were indeed grindy.
I remember crafting countless iron daggers to increase Smithing - I'm not sure these skills could be increased without mass-producing trash items in order to be able to create the good stuff.
Maybe the superior way would have been to keep Attributes and limit what you can craft based on them.

And good luck with leveling some choice skills such as Barter or Speech. Yeah they're useless, but if you *wanted* to level them up, boy, good luck.
Despite the improvements in Skyrim (the skill increases based on item value instead of per transaction), it's also up for discussion whether "using the shop" should be a skill in a learn-by-doing system, since everyone's gonna do it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom