Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Jinn

Arcane
they're very much the strong point of the game, in comparison I didn't think a whole lot of the main quest. Only a few missions of it really stood out in any way

I've actually enjoyed and been interested in the main quest story and gameplay too. I've just been putting it off because I know it's on the shorter side. I'll probably be weaving it more regularly into my playtime here soon, but haven't felt the urge to push things along yet despite my interest and curiosity in it.

Most recently in it

I tried tracking down Evelyn at the doll house. Really enjoyed this whole area and the conversation with the doll. Was really well done in my opinion.

I also wonder how often people stop to listen to NPC conversations. There's a lot of good ones out there.

Perkel

Arcane
Fair enough, but I'm still disapointed in the lifepath intro. I wasn't one of the people who bought into hype, but I still expected some quality prologues, maybe around the same level as DA:O. Witcher 3 was one of my favorite games, after all.

Yes, that timeskip should be playable which would change a lot how V feels. It is obvious that introduction probably was planned to be longer but they had to cut it short like some other stuff that surely will get into game like buyable houses etc.

they're very much the strong point of the game, in comparison I didn't think a whole lot of the main quest. Only a few missions of it really stood out in any way
they should have just adapted a CP2020 adventure book or something and not even bothered with the "iconic" characters

77 is literally adaptation of Never Fade Away and its sequel. Which is fucking cool. Can't really comment on story as i am yet to finish it even once.

spoilers from main story

I am currently after Voodoo boys stuff and Johny-Alt memory which is real highlight of the game for me.

The only well-designed aspect of Cyberpunk 2077 is the exterior urban environment, but the city predictably looks far better during the night than the daytime, so CDPR of course has the night last only 6 hours

It does look better at night due to vibe but i would be lying if i would say that Night City doesn't look amazing at day too. The amount of work that went into this city is truly testament of their 8 years of work.

Last edited:

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Hurr durr the rain is just a screen filter hurr durrr from 1989.

3ed2yf3ek2561.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
I also wonder how often people stop to listen to NPC conversations. There's a lot of good ones out there.

I watched murican jock at twitch to see how prologue choices and that jock outright never talked with anyone. He just went there any murdered everyone obviously not discovering those bits. Quest ended and there was omnimus info that Tiger claws "won't forget it"

I will definitely do psycho run once on my 3rd or 4th playtrough just to see how quests will be affected.

Jinn

Arcane
I watched murican jock at twitch to see how prologue choices and that jock outright never talked with anyone. He just went there any murdered everyone obviously not discovering those bits. Quest ended and there was omnimus info that Tiger claws "won't forget it"

I think that's how a lot of people saying things like "no point to explore the world," etc, are playing the game. Likely with mini-map turned on and b-lining every quest marker.

Perkel

Arcane
Hard feels very right in 77. It is even hinted to be "dev default" when you pick it up as there is red smear under it.

wyes gull

Savant
so CDPR of course has the night last only about 6 hours.
It's become a sad habit among games that have a day-night cycle now, I've noticed. It's like the devs are or think we are afraid of the dark. Sure, there is the odd game where it makes some sense (Dying Light) but in most of them it's like their thinking is along the lines of "we spent so long making these assets, let's show them off as clearly and for as long as we can". It's ridiculous if they thought the same applied here, in a cyberpunk game, of all things. I catch myself timeskipping so I can play more of it at night.

Perkel

Arcane

There are also unmarked quests you can find if you actually spend time doing that. I found so far 3.

- The cops near your house that bang on the door of your neighbor. After few times you get back to your house they will be standing opposite of those doors and talking V can talk with them which leads to quest.
- Aldecados questline, in one of tents there is hurt clan member and other members caring for him. You can talk with them which leads to quest.
- I walked into one of dinners in city because i mistook it for quest spot and i talked with bartender and robbery took place with some C&C. I can't really consider it full quest since it gets resolved instantly but i definitely didn't expect that.

Playing on very hard from the start. Have died a fair amount of times.

What i noticed good about 77 difficulty is that it is not inverted curve like TW3 or most other open world RPGs these days. The more you play definitely the harder it gets even with your upgrades. Especially since i play as netrunner i basically now have no chance to actually retaliate with force and breaching to get all demons is really sweat inducing. Those cooldowns on quickhacks are also starting to wear thin when you have few murderbots on your ass.

Main story is easy but 77 world overall is not scaled to your level and you will get destroyed if you tackle harder content. That being said it is not done as dumb as in TW3 or other RPGs where you have no way to tackle harder content and rare game in which destroying things with force is actually much harder than hacking or stealth which is exact opposite to most of rpgs.

Last edited:

KevinV12000

Arcane
WSJ just posted the following regarding CDP:

The maker of “Cyberpunk 2077,” one of this year’s most anticipated videogames, told players they could seek refunds because the initial version included bugs, a rare move for a major publisher and the latest mark on a project beset by launch delays.

Warsaw-based CD Projekt SA CDR -7.61% said Monday in a tweet that the $60 game, which features Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves and came out last week, doesn’t function properly on Sony Corp.’s SNE -1.38% PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Corp.’s MSFT 0.44% Xbox One. The company apologized and said it has addressed some issues with recent updates and is planning more in the weeks ahead.

“We would appreciate it if you would give us a chance, but if you are not pleased with the game on your console and don’t want to wait for updates, you can opt to refund your copy,” the company said.

Analysts had forecast that “Cyberpunk” would sell anywhere from 18 million to 25 million copies in its first month. The day it came out CD Projekt CDR -7.61% said the game had eight million preorders, of which about 59%, or 4.7 million copies, were for PCs.

When is a majority of the buying public treated like a small minority?

A spokeswoman for CD Projekt declined to comment further. CD Projekt shares are down about 25% since Wednesday’s close in Warsaw trading, shedding more than $2 billion of market value.

“Cyberpunk” is the biggest and most expensive project yet for the more than two-decade-old videogame company. CD Projekt’s co-CEOs told The Wall Street Journal earlier this month that they miscalculated how long it would take to complete “Cyberpunk” and that the coronavirus pandemic hindered the later stages of four years of development, which followed preproduction work that started around 2012.

The executives also said the company found itself overwhelmed by efforts to make “Cyberpunk” playable on nine platforms at launch. It previously developed games for three platforms at a time.

It is unusual for game publishers to suggest players seek refunds for their big-budget releases. Typically companies will delay games riddled with problems to make fixes before letting them go on sale. One or two delays are relatively common, but not more. Still, players in recent years have come to expect games to debut with some imperfections and for developers to fix those issues via post-release online updates.

“It’s a major misfire,” Jefferies analyst Ken Rumph said about CD Projekt’s “Cyberpunk” release.

The game has gotten mixed reactions from professional reviewers as well as everyday players, with some aggressively complaining on social media. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted a reply to CD Projekt’s tweet with a screenshot of a message expressing disappointment with a PlayStation 4 copy of “Cyberpunk” from an unidentified writer.

Then, there is this gem.

“I took a week off of work to play this game and I quickly realized it’s not the game I’ve been thinking about every day for eight years,” the message said.

Which one of you is this?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As Perkel has said, it seems that CDPR have a house philosophy where, in order to avoid players playing OOC and "gaming" the C&C, they try to avoid dialogue that advertises its future consequences on its sleeve (as it were).

At the same time, from what I can gather, they took to heart the complaint that the MQ in TW3 overstayed its welcome and in this game they tried to fill out more of the player time in side-quests that have C&C that affects a shorter MQ in various ways (their "token" system). And it does make sense that if you are actually in the spirit of roleplaying, then you'll be playing a consistent personality in both the MQ and side-quests, so it should all pan out if C&C in the side-quests has consequences for the MQ.

That's the bumf anyway, but I don't know how true it is or whether they accomplished it, as I have yet to finish the game even once (I set aside my first char after about 15 or so hours and started from the top with a new one, now that I have a handle on the systems, which is something I usually do in RPGs - first run is usually kicking the tires). I will say that aesthetically and flavour-wise this character feels different from the previous, via the dialogue choices, but of course what we want to see is paths taken and paths foregone, leading to different outcomes.

It may simply be that as in some other respects, the game has just been released too early and isn't as fleshed out as one might wish.

Still a lot of fun in places though. Oddly, I'd be even less generous than the person above who was fairly critical but gave it a 7/10, even though I seem to like it more than him personally. I'd say that it's objectively and non-inflatedly 6 or 6.5 out of 10 even though I'm enjoying it a lot. Hopefully it will rise to around 8 after a year or so of it actually being finished as it should have been on release.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's funny to see people complain the game has no C&C and praise Witcher 3 for "your choices matters", when 2077 probably already has more C&C than Witcher 3 with two of its DLCs.

I swear some people played a different Witcher 3, a way better version than the GOTY one I got.

Hellion

Arcane
Heh, just found out there's a memorial at the base of Arasaka Tower ("We Shall Not Forget Them" and all), which commemorates the 2023 attack carried out by Silverhand and co. And, of course, there's nothing of substance to do there, other than taking a stroll and leaving. They could've easily added a small quest, some points of interest to interact with, a short witty speech by Johnny himself, something... but no.

So much wasted potential with these small details.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I think that's how a lot of people saying things like "no point to explore the world," etc, are playing the game. Likely with mini-map turned on and b-lining every quest marker.

Minimap is one of the worst aspects of modern game design. Boggles my mind that so much time, money and effort is poured into graphics and then they design the game around following a yellow line on the minimap. Instead of living in the game world you spend 90% of your time staring at a tiny square in the corner of the screen following arrow/looking for enemies. If possible I try to play every modern game without minimap. As example Witcher 3 was VASTLY improved with a mod removing minimap and adding onscreen objective. Particularly with AAA games if your gonna have shallow game systems and popamole gameplay may as well enjoy the one highlight which is graphics/immershun. Minimap gameplay actively hinders immersion within the game world.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Heh, just found out there's a memorial at the base of Arasaka Tower ("We Shall Not Forget Them" and all), which commemorates the 2023 attack carried out by Silverhand and co. And, of course, there's nothing of substance to do there, other than taking a stroll and leaving. They could've easily added a small quest, some points of interest to interact with, a short witty speech by Johnny himself, something... but no.

On the other hand, there's a charming AI in of those drinks dispensers that collars you and chats to you and asks you to do a little task for it, that you could easily miss on many playthroughs :)

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
The executives also said the company found itself overwhelmed by efforts to make “Cyberpunk” playable on nine platforms at launch. It previously developed games for three platforms at a time.

We HaVe tO tHiNk oF tHe ShArEhOlDeRs aNd MaXiMiZe PrE-OrDeR PrOfItS.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Still a lot of fun in places though. Oddly, I'd be even less generous than the person above who was fairly critical but gave it a 7/10, even though I seem to like it more than him personally. I'd say that it's objectively and non-inflatedly 6 or 6.5 out of 10 even though I'm enjoying it a lot. Hopefully it will rise to around 8 after a year or so of it actually being finished as it should have been on release.

Pretty much have to agree, I would be hovering somewhere around 6 - 7 out of 10 after playing a fair amount. And thats from a PC standpoint where I have not had a HUGE amount of bugs or graphics issues (so far).

I would happily raise that score at some point in the future when it has been bug fixed and (hopefully) many of the missing or half-assed game mechanics and systems have been fleshed out.

Perkel

Arcane
It's funny to see people complain the game has no C&C and praise Witcher 3 for "your choices matters", when 2077 probably already has more C&C than Witcher 3 with two of its DLCs.

I swear some people played a different Witcher 3, a way better version than the GOTY one I got.

The Witcher 3 has shitload of C&C it is just well hidden behind those "hurr durr only two dialog choices or one with exposition". You have to play game at least 2-3 times otherwise you probably don't know that there were choices at all.

Tower of mice example i used before, outcomes:
- you kill plague maiden
- it gets away --> it locks you out of quest later as it kills one village
- keira is killed
- keira leaves for novigrad and gets impaled near city gates when you arrive in novigrad.
- keira leaves for novigrad but later you discover she took your advice and turned back for kaer mohren ---> she helps you in kaer mohren siege and saves Lambert before she rides off with him hinting they are pair for now.
- keira leaves for the north with no info later what happened to her

In whole quest there is no option where you pick and choose what keira will do all of it happens naturally due to those frequent dual choices they use. And stuff you can miss in quest. If wouldn't play again witcher 2-3 times you wouldn't even know quest had different endings.

Baron questline is also like that. There is never a point in which you pick A nd B outcome but outcome of quest is decided in those frequent choices. Baron quest line is decided where you do totally different quest for crones with that tree druid. Which also has impact on other things depending what you will choose.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The only well-designed aspect of Cyberpunk 2077 is the exterior urban environment, but the city predictably looks far better during the night than the daytime, so CDPR of course has the night last only about 6 hours.

That's the standard for every city. If you want a skyline picture you're likely wanting a night time view with all the lights on display.

But yeah, either perpetual night or having heavy clouds during the day would have done wonders. Night City during the day loses a ton of its visual charm and by extension atmosphere when you have the sun beaming down and making it look like a generic metropolis. The city itself should be its own character in cyberpunk.

Perkel

Arcane

That would be beating over the head instead of rewarding. The reward is to find it. On your own.
TW3 did something similar with banished ex-qeen where you could actually find her body chained on one of small islands, there is no market or quest to her.

There is also whole memorial to bombing in corpo plaza i think. They leaved few floors untouched in rubble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom