Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Terenty

Liturgist
The whole game is fundamentally fucked when it comes to exploration, itemization and questing in the open world just like any Ubisoft turd.

The game revolves around you choosing a question mark on the map and following the yellow marker. Even if you could turn off the marker it wouldn't change a thing, you would just have to turn it back on, because it literally takes you by the nose every step of the quest ala Rockstar games.

There's zero exploration and zeron reason to tackle a quest higher than "moderate".

Robber Baron

Savant
This is fashion police! Put your hands above your head and get OUT of the stairs RIGHT NOW!

20201215233529-1.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Harrumph.
Eyepatch BIPOC tasks me to save BIPOC stronk wahmen doctor held captive by gang. Proceed to slay said gang members (bonus XP and street cred by headshotting each downed corpse). Engage in convo with surgeon, who insists I help her save dying bandit/captor. Comply, as I want my $$. Walk xir ass out to the car, then return to finish off thug. Game won't let me aim/shoot. Try fragging him. Immune. Fuuuuuuck. Shoot random hobo in frustration. Get instantly oneshot by NCPD sniper.
MFW I should have choked out doc and dumped her in trunk of waiting car.

I just killed guy while she was helping. felt good.

Turjan

Arcane

This is in-world fiction, right? Please tell me that's in-world fiction. That's retarded lore-building. Like they just left an infinitely-replicating mine AI just do it's thing and END ALL MARITIME trade. And the corp just gets away with it?

Wow. That's dumb on so many levels.
If the corps are the only powers that are left, there's nobody left to rule in corps but other corps. It's kind of straightforward.

It's also kind of straightforward that the writers have no sense of scale. Maritime trade is massive and vital to not only regional economies, but also food transport. This is an apocalyptic event.
Well, you have flying ships now. And what about the world makes you think it didn't got through an apocalyptic event?

Like an actual apocalypse, not just an apocalypse-lite. But whatever, I'm not a scientician. I'm not going to research into the hypothetical effects of the destruction of sea life and the emergence of fucking grey goo just because some writer somewhere sucks at their job.

Yeah, it's fucking r/gaming, I don't give a shit.
You're looking at an established p&p RPG system here, in case you forgot. One of the earlier ones, in fact (first release 1988). I guess the game got adapted a bit because it may be a bit too retrofuturistic for today's audiences, but much of the lore stems for there.

Is this piece of lore from Pondsmith though? Because I do not remember any of this from details of the 4th corp war, and the destruction of global maritime travel is kind of a big deal.
Honestly, this has now been such a long time ago that I don't remember all the details. i just don't see any reason to license an existing RPG system other than not having to bother with inventing lore. Even many of the characters in-game are directly lifted from the source.

Turjan

Arcane
If the corps are the only powers that are left, there's nobody left to rule in corps but other corps. It's kind of straightforward.

Goverments do exist in Cyberpunk. Part of reason why Arasaka had to fuck off from US for a while was US government waging war on them with Militech but it lead to breakup of US and after NC declared independence Arasaka again took over. They are mostly blow up dollls for corporations which is strangely pretty fucking woke considering happenings in our world.

Yes, but the game makes it abundantly clear that the position of president is pretty much a laughing matter, as far as power is concerned.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
This is in-world fiction, right? Please tell me that's in-world fiction. That's retarded lore-building. Like they just left an infinitely-replicating mine AI just do it's thing and END ALL MARITIME trade. And the corp just gets away with it?

Yeah, that's inworld fiction as it's under the 'Literature' section. The 'Watson Whore Diary', just beneath it, is the tie-in to the advert of the bloke in leather hotpants leaning over a toilet that you see on billboards all over the city.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I just killed guy while she was helping. felt good.
There was another gig that similarly railroads you. Make your way through ripper doc clinic and confront doc who obtains parts via shady means. You can play along, getting a discount, or tell him to eff off, in which case he buggers off. If you cap him before he even gets out of his chair, it's insta-NCPD swarm. I hope I didn't miss any unique chrome.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Nope. This is world of 77. Also you don't seem to understand Arasaka status. They effectively run Japan and Japan is one of superpowers in 77 along with europe and china i think. Europe outright is paradise compared to US while Japan is something like from BLAME where people live in boxes. Goro even says that he lived in Chiba 16 slums before Arasaka recruited child soldiers for their corpo war.

US gov for comparison broke up and only controls like half the states which often go to war with each other. Night City for example is not US territory. It is free city.

It's also kind of straightforward that the writers have no sense of scale. Maritime trade is massive and vital to not only regional economies, but also food transport. This is an apocalyptic event.

Actually they do. Food is huge issue in cyberpunk and most of meat for example is synthmeat there is no much trade between nations and they live more like closed off states. Night City is literally i think the most prosperous city in whole US at time of 77 and US is dying. If you play as Nomad there is one quest in which you get NOMAD tag blue text where V explains how smaller towns and villages seems to be dying faster and faster. Nomads if i remember it right are literally US farmers who were bought out via gov corruption from their farms and had to start to raid corpos for survival forming clans.

[

Infinitely-replicating AI is basically a grey goo scenario, so there's no way in hell whatever powers that be would let it just go because "some programmers got it wrong." When I say apocalyptic, I don't mean pedestrian Mad Max like 2077 is, I mean Earth floating through space as a hivemind machine.

Additionally - destruction of nearly all sea life, unpredictable climate change, massive global upheaval, a cascade of wars for resources.

Everything should be 5000% worse than it is.

Bad. Worldbuilding.

typical user

Arbiter

True but you could imagine some fuck-ups would create temporary alliances. Especially the spectacular level of fuck ups.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

Arasaka's main rival Militech was nationalized by the NUSA. Outside of Arasaka-owned Night City, they are not that powerful.

scr.png

https://archive.vn/mptE6/image

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Data unpackers claim there are no 3p animations for the vast majority of ingame actions. So I doubt there will be any good 3p camera mods.

I doubt CDPR will patch that in either, as it would probably mean mocapping a whole bunch of new actions.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Yes, I'm sure the people that were laughing about it being Delayed 3 times already are the reason they released it before being finished, and not Christmas Sales and Shareholders. You see, they weren't the ones being duped into buying an unfinished product and believing borderline false Advertisement by CDPR, they're actually the ones responsible for CDPR releasing an unfinished product!
They were so rabid in their consciously built Hype over almost 8 years with a drip-feed of information and carefully placed "influencer" partnerships that they wrote Harsh comments and made Memes on the Internet. They even forced CDPR to misrepresent features and the state of their product! There was nothing the poor $11 billion company could have done, really... well now more like $8 billion.
1608043462524qbkdp.png

whenitsdone8ejto.jpg

1608040263276d5jns.png

1608041998225udkcj.png

1608042134634zxkcj.png

surprisinglywell67kpx.jpg

Someone should do something against these darn consumers and hold them accountable!

That didn't age well.

Perkel

Arcane
Infinitely-replicating AI is basically a grey goo scenario, so there's no way in hell whatever powers that be would let it just go because "some programmers got it wrong." When I say apocalyptic, I don't mean pedestrian Mad Max like 2077 is, I mean Earth floating through space as a hivemind machine.

Additionally - destruction of nearly all sea life, unpredictable climate change, massive global upheaval, a cascade of wars for resources.

Bad. Worldbuilding.

Not really. You assume it improves. IT can also be that this AI has tasks that and tries to do them. So for example Arasaka could programm it to stop Atlantic trade routes and AI decides only to replicate only as much as needed to stop thosetrade routes.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Bad. Worldbuilding.

Not really. You assume it improves. IT can also be that this AI has tasks that and tries to do them. So for example Arasaka could programm it to stop Atlantic trade routes and AI decides only to replicate only as much as needed to stop thosetrade routes.

According to the text, it ended all maritime travel. This meant the AI was so aggressively good at what it does that we can't even touch the ocean anymore.

Thankfully, all our points are moot, 'cause given the title of the book, I'm assuming it's in-setting fiction.

Haha, could you imagine somebody actually adding it to Cyberpunk lore? That's laughable. Not in a day and age where we could pick penis 3 for V in this modern masterpiece of a game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't look bad, you just look poor.
I'm walking around with $60k but I can't decide what clothes to invest in, and I mean invest upgrade materials.

What's the point of having a Rare hat and a Common hat for example, if neither has an upgrade slot and the armor values are the same? From my perspective the white hat is even better, because it's cheaper to upgrade.

Here is a pic from when I was poorer: https://i.imgur.com/DTPQ6BR.jpg

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Driving past this point in the northern edges of the map

...brings up this message

...and all neighboring roads are closed and fenced off as well.

Something similar went on with Witcher 3 before Hearts of Stone expanded the game's map towards the east, so this is probably the area they will expand towards in the first expansion.

wyes gull

Savant
So I crucified a dude. Rather unconventional (?!) mission(s). Easy to imagine this being the center of a non-troversy if it weren't overshadowed by how broken the game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom