Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Yoomazir

Educated
Before 2.0 I had a leg implant that allowed me to jump and hover for a bit, now it's gone. Any idea if that implant still exists?
It was a nice QoL when traveling around.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The game is great until you meet Keanu Reeves.
Very meta if you think about it, V's life goes to shit as well.
xlfzd3.jpg

Takamori

Learned
Some side gigs have the imsim DNA but narrative wise for the ongoing story in the game means fuck all. You can do everything in a different way but the result will be always the same no matter what with few exception at the ending.

And thats mind boggling I remember back when I bought the game thinking oh yeah this is an RPG. During the Arasaka tower escape segment I did the entire shit stealth so in my head, ok we won't see any bullets we might save Jackie. Nope same shit if you go full retard or not. Thats was the point where I thought those fucking pollacks scammed my money with their """""""""RPG"""""""" marketing bs.

Now for the 2.0 patch I feel like the perk tree made strides regarding systems and building character identity, but itemization wise makes me wonder who is the fucking retard responsible so I can send him a sack of turd through his mail.

Takamori

Learned
The game is great until you meet Keanu Reeves.
Very meta if you think about it, V's life goes to shit as well.
xlfzd3.jpg
True before you meet Keanu, you had that quest with Maelstrom so you could either shoot their ass off for the bot, buy it, use the corpo chick to sabotage their arses or even reverse uno the corpo chick and use militech cred to pay for it.

God damn it I hate CDK bunch of talentless hack frauds.

Trithne

Erudite
My annoyance:

Okay, how am I gonna delete this guy from my head? I dont care he is the super coolest, I want him out of my head.

CDPR writers: Okay, you get in the end, you can delete the guy from your head but you gonna die anyway.

Why I must die?

CDPR writers: Because super duper advanced nanite magic.

Okay, we have super duper nanite magic, can I use this super advanced nanite magic so you can clone my body then place my engram on the clone head?

CDPR writers: That is too advanced for the nanite magic.

You stored the conscious of a person and you can't even clone a sheep?

CDPR writers: That is alternative 80's cyberppunk, cloning is on the 90's no cloned sheep.

Can I then copy my engram and place it on a robot?

CDPR writers: Look dude, there is no way out of this, you must die or be a corporate slave on their computer.

Why?

CDPR writers: Look, we are East European developers, okay, and we built our brand based on the idea that East Europe is a cesspool of depression and alcoholic suicide where even the potatoes are cynical and sad, you must die as a schmuck and be very, very sad about it, so it is profound and anti corporate, it matches with the cyberpunk spirit.

Why not kill myself on the beginning of the game then and wouldnt be marketing an unfinished product and lying about it a better anti corpo theme?

CDPR writers: Look, we need to sell you a game first and besides, we took your money and you got very, very sad about it, it wasnt unfinished, it just worked as intended.

Cloning is totally in 80's cyberpunk, although in Cyberpunk's lore in particular (and this predates the involvement of CDPR) it's not very good and can't be relied on to do what you're proposing.

But the plot's actually pretty clear on the various "why"s:

• The Relic is specifically for writing consciousnesses into a brain. The intended purpose of it is to give very specific people (Saburo Arasaka) functional immortality by overwriting his son. Why the Relic had Johnny Silverhand on it is arguably the main "why" not answered.
  • You got shot in the head. The Relic is the only thing keeping you alive. Just pulling it out will kill you, end of.
  • If you find Hellman, he analyses it and tells you that by that point the Relic is so intertwined with your own cerebral system that it's impossible to remove even for him.
  • Arasaka basically is offering you exactly that - We'll take an engram of you and when we can produce a suitable corpus for you to inhabit, you can have it, just give us the Relic back.
  • V absolutely suggests and considers suicide at the start of Act 2, but that would be a short game.

Takamori

Learned
The relic plot its all right I actually didn't care much when I faced the game as a linear story game. But I blame the plot structure for us not having a actual branching RPG story given that everything is fucking around the relic, instead of being a merc in Night City where it would be 10x more attractive and could had made this game a cult classic in the RPG history. Ok I'm exaggerating they would need someone without special needs developing the items in this game too.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Some side gigs have the imsim DNA but narrative wise for the ongoing story in the game means fuck all. You can do everything in a different way but the result will be always the same no matter what with few exception at the ending.

And thats mind boggling I remember back when I bought the game thinking oh yeah this is an RPG. During the Arasaka tower escape segment I did the entire shit stealth so in my head, ok we won't see any bullets we might save Jackie. Nope same shit if you go full retard or not. Thats was the point where I thought those fucking pollacks scammed my money with their """""""""RPG"""""""" marketing bs.

Now for the 2.0 patch I feel like the perk tree made strides regarding systems and building character identity, but itemization wise makes me wonder who is the fucking retard responsible so I can send him a sack of turd through his mail.
Apparently the DLC missions are highly responsive to if you go pants-on-head retarded or super sneaky.
The whole DLC seems geared around stealth / plots / intrigue / talking to characters and deciding who to kill and not to kill. Although I haven't played it yet so this could all be bullshit and it's actually hot trash.

Personally though, I just can't get excited for one good piece of content in this half-baked game though.

Even if:
- police finally react to you
- the perk tree is good now
- you can shoot things from your car window
- ripper docs have cutscenes and cyberware has limitations

I' still left wondering... so..? so what..?

Night City is still a giant boring failure with nothing to do. 10 miles wide, 1 inch deep.

Bsically as soon as you preset the protagonist, it's not really a "true" RPG in my mind, whatever its other merits.
I'll probably regret asking this, but how defined does the preset protagonist have to be before you experience it as disqualifying the game as an RPG? To take a very old example, Ultima IV requires you to play as the Avatar. It also requires you to play in a manner consistent with the Virtues if you want to progress in the game. So preset protagonist, restricted play style choice - but many consider it one of the all-time classic old-school RPGs.

Takamori

Learned

Apparently the DLC missions are highly responsive to if you go pants-on-head retarded or super sneaky.
The whole DLC seems geared around stealth / plots / intrigue / talking to characters and deciding who to kill and not to kill. Although I haven't played it yet so this could all be bullshit and it's actually hot trash.

Personally though, I just can't get excited for one good piece of content in this half-baked game though.

Even if:
- police finally react to you
- the perk tree is good now
- you can shoot things from your car window
- ripper docs have cutscenes and cyberware has limitations

I' still left wondering... so..? so what..?

Night City is still a giant boring failure with nothing to do. 10 miles wide, 1 inch deep.
Yeah I'm gonna be the retarded mine canary for this game almost sure that only 30% of what you saying is in game and I'm being optimistic.

-Police reacting for me its the peak GTA nigger complaint. Like if the police heat followed based on how much of a retarded monkey you behaved on your gigs, damn it would be badass having to plan to deal with Max Tac while doing your objectives or even losing access to some missions and gaining to others given your ruthless reputation as a merc.

-But the current state I need to start shooting people as if I was playing Hatred with no reason at all in order to see it, it will be like cool I saw the Max Tac guys come in and shoot my ass thats it.

-Perk tree while I'm currently testing is pretty nice your character has a fucking identity now, its not Skyrim bs anymore. Its the thing I can say I'm positive about

-Car combat in my 2.0 save with 20 hours rolling I didn't use it once. I just saw two gangs shooting each other from their cars while I was shopping for guns.

-Oh thanks for reminding me this the cutscene from ripperdoc is just you leaving the doctor chair and thats it, no animation with body horror happening.

Takamori

Learned
Judging by the Nexus, the average CP77 player just uses it as dress-up simulator for their scifi waifus.
The engine and the mod tools are ass, they only allow you to mess with systems(numbers and menu interaction), add maybe new weapons and visuals.
Anything that mess with the world is almost not allowed, just makes me wonder how the subway guy implemented his stuff? Maybe it was just a matter of content restoration.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The more I think about it, the more the game should have been like Payday missions where you launch procedurally generated heists from V's apartment or something after scrolling through a gig list on an ingame website. The open world contributes literally nothing.
The one great strength of Cyberpunk 2077 is the design of Night City itself --- the urban environment --- but the developers did their best to ruin even this by having daylight last about 18 hours with almost no rain or clouds, even though the city looks vastly worse in the harsh daylight than at night or in the rain. The problem is that hardly any of the buildings are explorable and hardly any of the people are interactable, which was already deleterious to the Open World design of The Witcher 3 but is calamitous in a game based around a single city.

Vyvian

Educated
Judging by the Nexus, the average CP77 player just uses it as dress-up simulator for their scifi waifus.
The engine and the mod tools are ass, they only allow you to mess with systems(numbers and menu interaction), add maybe new weapons and visuals.
Anything that mess with the world is almost not allowed, just makes me wonder how the subway guy implemented his stuff? Maybe it was just a matter of content restoration.
One guy was working on adding quests and a whole framework for new quests but I'm not sure if he gave up, hit a dead end or just lost interest.
This was in the earlier days of modding the game when people were dreaming big. It seems to have just settled on waifu shit now.

Perkel

Arcane
jebus. Played a bit 2.0 because i was bored and you swim in cash now. Guns regularly sell for 600-1k at lvl1. Previously paying vic 21k was huge task that was hard to do in prologue but now i got 21k in like 5 fights. Love that there is a lot fucking less trash everywhere. Also i noticed that some weapons aren't picked up despite me picking them up, so i checked what i picked up and turns out some weapons have "broken" status and they get disassembled when you pick them up.

New skill tree looks like clear upgrade over last one. Went to vic to install new cyberware... and he only had small amount of white stuff. I assume that this is now tied to street cred like before but it won't show up if you don't have enough street cred.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Went to vic to install new cyberware... and he only had small amount of white stuff. I assume that this is now tied to street cred like before but it won't show up if you don't have enough street cred.
Yeah, better quality and new types of cyberware available scale with your level or street cred. I think it is with level because the tier available is similar to the tier that on average drops from enemies.

Street cred probably unlocks new types for purchase, like arms, optical camo or the charge-jumping legs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
the setting is so dumb and unrealistic. every second ad is about sex or this type of shit. cyberpunk is about "high tech low life" not about this comedic satire shit written by horny polish programmers. And no, it's not like the TTG
those ads are the only reason i play this shit

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bsically as soon as you preset the protagonist, it's not really a "true" RPG in my mind, whatever its other merits.
I'll probably regret asking this, but how defined does the preset protagonist have to be before you experience it as disqualifying the game as an RPG? To take a very old example, Ultima IV requires you to play as the Avatar. It also requires you to play in a manner consistent with the Virtues if you want to progress in the game. So preset protagonist, restricted play style choice - but many consider it one of the all-time classic old-school RPGs.
That's an interesting question. Ultimas before VII at least weren't all that story driven or narrative. Yes, you were the avatar from 4 on, but like... so? He basically doesn't speak or do anything other than what you tell him to do. I mean, Name/Job/Bye doesn't really force a cognitive dissonance.

Whereas Geralt, the white haired, bones everything gish Mary Sue guy is a pretty well defined character. It doesn't matter if I make him somewhat better at swords or bombs or whatever, he's the same dude.

Shepard comes off a bit better in that you can change what he looks like, how he acts (basically, boy scout or dickhead pro-human terrorist), etc.

PST is somewhere in the middle of those two, you can can change what he says and how he acts, but he looks like the same beef jerky thing no matter what, which makes the romance arcs more than a little bizarre imo.

I'd basically put V roughly in the same boat as Shepard. You can change how they act and what they look like, it's just that the game's plot doesn't significantly deviate. I like it quite a bit, but it's not really an RPG imo, it's just that in this case, it has nothing to do with whether you can define your protagonist. You can do that in the Saints Row games too, but no one thinks they're RPGs.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Went to vic to install new cyberware... and he only had small amount of white stuff. I assume that this is now tied to street cred like before but it won't show up if you don't have enough street cred.
Yeah, better quality and new types of cyberware available scale with your level or street cred. I think it is with level because the tier available is similar to the tier that on average drops from enemies.

Street cred probably unlocks new types for purchase, like arms, optical camo or the charge-jumping legs.
You can also upgrade stuff, including cyberware at the ripper docs. I haven't been selling anything because I find components to be more valuable than cash for the moment.

mediocrepoet

Patron
That's an interesting question. Ultimas before VII at least weren't all that story driven or narrative. Yes, you were the avatar from 4 on, but like... so? He basically doesn't speak or do anything other than what you tell him to do. I mean, Name/Job/Bye doesn't really force a cognitive dissonance.
I forgot to add that also, Ultima IV makes it explicitly clear that the Avatar is you (the player). Between the feelies in the box, the lore book that you also find in game and the intro tells you to read, the tarot reading at the gypsy cart to determine which virtue you most personify on starting. Brilliant story telling, really.

Takamori

Learned
I don't think a preset protagonist disqualify a game from being an RPG, but the game must have systems and a branching storyline where the player can express their roleplay. Like already mentioned PST

When your game basically ends in the same point with every quest and not just the main quest its hard to say its an RPG. But credit given where is due, with the new perk system your character has some semblance of identity so it approached the RPG genre with this change, but with very few exceptions most of the gigs will end up in that same result.

Maelstrom E3 quest where you get the bot, of course the result of getting the militech robot is the same due to the MQ being attached to it but at least there is results you feel in the game depending of your choices. You can double cross the militech chick and get her killed, you can simply not even interact with her (she will still end dead), kill the Maelstrom by yourself, strike a deal with them etc. And that shit you will see in game

There is a gig where you can either negotiate with a cop chick to drop the investigation or just paint the walls red, thats cool allows to express a more benevolent merc or a guy that is so dead inside that will just follow the script.

Also one gig where father and son are recording and editing illegal BDs with dead people material and you can choose to just pick the data and fuck off, kill both of them or decide to pick one kill and let the other cry in misery with the brutal murder as some sick sense of justice.

But this is 3 quests out of many that end the same sadly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom