Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Dunno, the ending synopsis smells like typical 4chan trigger bullshit. It's not even bleak, just... comically petty, when you consider what people have been complaining about in regards to the available outcomes.
It's accurate. But you trigger it by basically choosing to
delete Johnny while he begs you find another way (the usual paths) and not to "excise him like a tumor", so...

Dunno, the ending synopsis smells like typical 4chan trigger bullshit. It's not even bleak, just... comically petty, when you consider what people have been complaining about in regards to the available outcomes.
It's accurate. But you trigger it by basically choosing to
delete Johnny while he begs you find another way (the usual paths) and not to "excise him like a tumor", so...
What the fuck, so it's actually the based ending?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
they also made an anime series for you zoomer tards. wow cyberpunk is so cool wow jackie best homeboy, fuck the corpos choom! lets make sure there is something going on on screen every 0.5 seconds, preferably sex, or we will lose the zoomers to tiktok videos and call of duty.

also let’s fuck over the player by making him die like a dog on top a space station for following the most obvious game path because this whole game is actually satire! we poles so smart glugluglug all this sex and bad endings is a critique on consumerism glugluglug you are just too stupid to get it chooms

Perkel

Arcane
gog as always treats its members as losers. No any Phantom Liberty update for c77 for me yet

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Vic, my man, you either need to stop taking whatever it is you're taking, or start taking whatever it is you ain't taking.

BTW, were atmospheric effects always so... intense?

yfQ5o3D.jpeg

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
they also made an anime series for you zoomer tards. wow cyberpunk is so cool wow jackie best homeboy, fuck the corpos choom! lets make sure there is something going on on screen every 0.5 seconds, preferably sex, or we will lose the zoomers to tiktok videos and call of duty.

also let’s fuck over the player by making him die like a dog on top a space station for following the most obvious game path because this whole game is actually satire! we poles so smart glugluglug all this sex and bad endings is a critique on consumerism glugluglug you are just too stupid to get it chooms
Still seething about Starfield huh

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

Yeah, I didn't think CDPR was this based

almondblight

Arcane

I mentioned The Heist being a huge disappointment earlier and it's another instance of the same thing - the writing department came up with this idea where you're gonna infiltrate a big corpo hotel, compromise security with the spiderbot, steal the Relic and witness Saburo's murder etc. Cool! This is great stuff, you give to IO Interactive or Looking Glass or Ion Storm and you've got a banger of a mission guaranteed. But they didn't... they gave it to CDPR's gameplay department. And they came up with, well, the usual - a bunch of walk-and-talk, a pixel-scanning BD sequence disguised as the spiderbot segment, and some corridor shooting at the end. Now, okay, maybe CBP doesn't have the gameplay system to support the Budapest Hotel, 2077 Edition (though I still think they could've gotten creative), but it does have the mechanics to at least ape part of Thief. Casing the Joint / Masks, anyone? And Deus Ex, as usual, offers the most damning parallel - breaking into VersaLife.

You know that you can hang around Konpeki's bar after you check in? You get past the receptionist and you can either head straight to your room with Jackie or let him go ahead while you go knock back a couple. Naturally, having been educated by decades of better gaming, I chose to take the opportunity to explore and snoop around, but I still have no idea what that was supposed to do... Was there something to find there that I didn't? Something that changed my approach to the mission? I just went around, clicked on a couple of pointless NPCs, then gave up and went to join Jackie. It's a consistent problem, the studio spends so much effort on this spectacular trim but neglects to tie it in to agency and gameplay. It's all style and no substance.

This is a problem with gaming in general, though. There's a reason people are always bringing up Thief and Deus Ex - there's only a handful of games that have really well thought out level design.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
When your game basically ends in the same point with every quest and not just the main quest its hard to say its an RPG.
This statement is perilously close to Sawyer's assertion that Wizardry was only an RPG in its time but would not be an RPG if released today because it lacks companion romances or whatever.

ZLWqa3N.jpg

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

This is how I read this post when translated from 'Vic to English'--

"My hunk of shit rig from 2011 can't play Cyberpunk so I'm going to whine about how awful it is. In the meantime I'm going to so suck more nigger cock in Cottonfield™ because I can play in potato mode and I love the amazing and deep storytelling that Todd has gifted me with."

Here to help... ❤❤

ADL

Prophet
I know 2.0 is level scaled but Phantom Liberty feels just right for my netrunner/blades character at level 32 with a mixture of purple/blue/green cyberware components. Started it in the middle of Act III as I'm wrapping up all the individual storylines before meeting Hanako at Embers. Seems to make sense narratively.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I will be checking everything out in 6-or-however-many-months it takes for a decent de-level scaling and difficulty mod to come out. Bummer. I was looking forward to checking out 2.0, but it's too much of a regression for them to have added level scaling for me to enjoy it. Why, CD Project? You were on to a good thing.

Trithne

Erudite
Why're you so mad about the level scaling? It isn't like Oblivion where gangoons start sporting endgame gear. In fact, circa level 20 I'm wiping the floor with regular gangers just like you'd expect to, due to better options and having like 200 armour.

The level scaling basically just normalises things so that you can approach the quests in any order, and guns always stay appropriately dangerous. It's a legit improvement from the old "red skull" system where an enemy would arbitrarily take only 10% damage from you because they were a higher level.

It makes it that power comes from gear and cyber and stats and perks, not from increasing a magic experience number. Calling it level scaling is a bit of a misnomer, if this is level scaling then Deus Ex was level scaled.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Why're you so mad about the level scaling? It isn't like Oblivion where gangoons start sporting endgame gear. In fact, circa level 20 I'm wiping the floor with regular gangers just like you'd expect to, due to better options and having like 200 armour.

The level scaling basically just normalises things so that you can approach the quests in any order, and guns always stay appropriately dangerous. It's a legit improvement from the old "red skull" system where an enemy would arbitrarily take only 10% damage from you because they were a higher level.

It makes it that power comes from gear and cyber and stats and perks, not from increasing a magic experience number. Calling it level scaling is a bit of a misnomer, if this is level scaling then Deus Ex was level scaled.
I'm most certainly not "mad" about it. It simply puts a damper on the experience for me. I appreciated that despite the "red skull" approach not being optimal, it was still preferable to enemies scaling with my level. Those enemies were still surmountable, and in a reasonable way. Even if there is a sustained sense of challenge throughout due to level-scaling being added in, it still robs me of a true sense of character progression. Something that I really enjoy in an RPG. If you're fine with that, more power to you. I am not and I'll just have to wait for a mod to somewhat fix it down the road.

And I really can't agree that it's comparable to Deus Ex. I shouldn't have to point it out, but their structures are completely different, and the progression made sense in terms of Deus Ex's structure. This is an open world, and while it might be much more difficult to balance something like that, I don't think that level-scaling is ever the appropriate solution. If you can't tune your enemies and encounters properly in an open world, don't make an open world.

Trithne

Erudite

I'm most certainly not "mad" about it. It simply puts a damper on the experience for me. I appreciated that despite the "red skull" approach not being optimal, it was still preferable to enemies scaling with my level. Those enemies were still surmountable, and in a reasonable way. Even if there is a sustained sense of challenge throughout due to level-scaling being added in, it still robs me of a true sense of character progression. Something that I really enjoy in an RPG. If you're fine with that, more power to you. I am not and I'll just have to wait for a mod to somewhat fix it down the road.

And I really can't agree that it's comparable to Deus Ex. I shouldn't have to point it out, but their structures are completely different, and the progression made sense in terms of Deus Ex's structure. This is an open world, and while it might be much more difficult to balance something like that, I don't think that level-scaling is ever the appropriate solution. If you can't tune your enemies and encounters properly in an open world, don't make an open world.

And I can appreciate that. I feel like what they did wasn't so much to level scale the game as to flatten the power curve and make things other than raw level more meaningful. I'll just say that I do feel that progression you mention, as I get more gear and perks and enemies that previously would've given me trouble become easier, and the skull guys have gone from fucking nightmares to something I can fight on even footing.

leveling scaling is a legit improvement you heard him guys

Than the Red Skull system? Fuck yes it is. The Red Skull system was "level = power" at its worst and basically like an mmo. If you hadn't reached the magical level number, you did no damage to them, but if you did, and came back with the exact same build, they lost that buff. Fuck that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nd wh

What kind of build do you have? I'm trying to use assault rifles for mine on Very Hard and I find red skull enemies to have too much health, or the assault rifle does too little damage per bullet. I regularly need to empty one clip into an enemy. And when you add that they use healing and grenades, in a combat featuring more than two red skull enemies you could finish all your assault rifle ammo (~800 rounds if you are stocked up fully) in one fight like Panam's first Raffen Shiv fight on Very Hard. Maybe the game was rebalanced more for higher-hitting single shot weapons and for melee.

But yeah, whoever is bitching about level scaling doesn't know what they're talking about. The game is harder now and harder in a good way. Enemies using healing and grenades pushes you to be active and move around. I can't yet talk much about updated tactics.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
Nd wh

What kind of build do you have? I'm trying to use assault rifles for mine on Very Hard and I find red skull enemies to have too much health, or the assault rifle does too little damage per bullet. I regularly need to empty one clip into an enemy. And when you add that they use healing and grenades, in a combat featuring more than two red skull enemies you could finish all your assault rifle ammo (~800 rounds if you are stocked up fully) in one fight like Panam's first Raffen Shiv fight on Very Hard. Maybe the game was rebalanced more for higher-hitting single shot weapons and for melee.

But yeah, whoever is bitching about level scaling doesn't know what they're talking about. The game is harder now and harder in a good way. Enemies using healing and grenades pushes you to be active and move around. I can't yet talk much about updated tactics.

I'm only playing on Hard, so V Hard might be different but I think theory is the same.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/build-pla...000003&r=&i=&t=101020010211000310001301&c=&e=

Build is somewhere around this. Using a Sandy, double barrel, and the hand cyber that adds an electrical blast to your next attack after reloading an empty weapon, which is basically every shot with a double barrel or a carnage, as the carnage can fire after loading the first shell.

Got around 250 armour from cyberware.

Dealing with multiple skulls - I'll basically pick one and just bum rush them, launch missiles to soften them up then Sandy and unload both barrels into them, that usually deals with one.

Also if I can find a spot to camp I got the "Stalker" variant eyes which highlight enemies behind cover, and I've got a tech revolver and the widow maker for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom