Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Moink

Cipher
Had another 20 Cool check, must be scaled.

beardalaxy

Educated
Just got beaten up by the pantsuit wearing girlboss president, game gives you the option to punch back but she still floors V.

:hmmm:
>Can beat Adam Smasher with my fists
>Can't beat girlboss President with my fists

0/10

I don't think I'll ever get back to this game, honestly. I played it when it first came out and enjoyed it well enough. There have been a lot of changes but it is still fundamentally the same game I played and I don't know, there just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of extra stuff there for me. I'm a little bit interested in the expansion because I've heard that you can get a different ending through it, but I may end up just looking at that ending on YT. There's too many other games to play, man.

I feel like 2.0 is just a further refinement of the current game, not necessarily "how it should have been." I see a lot of people saying that, but if we want to talk about "how it should have been" then it should have been less of a Far Cry game with a different coat of paint and a leveling system, and closer to a Bethesda RPG or immersive sim with much more emergent gameplay. CDPR spent a lot of time putting out lore videos and basically none of that has any implication on the actual gameplay. I was under the impression that wearing certain clothes in certain areas would cause people to act different towards you because of your perceived social class lol. The life paths basically mean nothing outside of a few dialogue options, which most of the time don't actually affect the outcome of the situation at hand but just expand on your character a tiny bit more. I chose Street Kid for my playthrough and it was basically just being able to recall the names and functions of certain gangs/notable gang members.

I had a good time playing it, but it couldn't have been farther from what I expected it to be, and it still isn't. Never will be.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I'm playing PL guys

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-9-26-2023-5-27-37-PM.png

Gargaune

Arcane
This is a problem with gaming in general, though. There's a reason people are always bringing up Thief and Deus Ex - there's only a handful of games that have really well thought out level design.
Sure, but even bearing that in mind, CBP's behind the curve, not just the milestones. I've found Fo4's dungeons to have better level design - e.g. the Corvega factory vs. the Grand Imperial Mall - despite that game arguably having fewer systems to leverage for checks and traversal than CBP. That was my point there, not merely bemoaning CBP's level design, but rather that CDPR seem to have trouble capitalising on their own mechanics to translate their narrative concepts into compelling gameplay, instead relegating it into a supporting role for the drama.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
for what its worth I dont think that INT checks are scaled. However, STR and TECH on doors seem to be. Both in quests and gigs im seeing only 20s. For reference reached 40lvl and ripperdocs got t5 cyberware. I think iconic weapons became t5 when i was lvl 35.
Mines and such are not affected

Rhobar121

Scholar
game crashed pre-DLC every 10 minutes or so, now with the DLC it crashes before I even get to the title screen. polish quality
Upgrade your PC.
I didn't have any problems 3 years ago with the game, now it just crashes all the time.
It looks like your PC got fed up with you running crap on it and decided to end it. If you play Starfield again, it will commit suicide.

Mortmal

Arcane
game crashed pre-DLC every 10 minutes or so, now with the DLC it crashes before I even get to the title screen. polish quality
Upgrade your PC.
I didn't have any problems 3 years ago with the game, now it just crashes all the time.
Of course, you didn't notice it back then, but now, after three years, the thermal paste on your GPU has dried up. The hotspot temperature goes above the safety limit, causing it to crash. It could also be your RAM failing. Run GPUZ to check for temperature issues, and please note that temperatures exceeding 110°C are not normal. After that, run some memory tests. The game runs flawlessly and is highly optimized compared to other modern titles.
It's a common trope on Steam forums; people often blame the game. However, when you look at the Steam survey, you'll find that an overwhelming majority actually have hardware that's inferior to an Xbox or PS5. I can already hear the autistic screeching here , as its very taboo, but for many of these individuals, it might be more cost-effective to simply get a console, especially if they lack the skills or financial means to maintain and upgrade a gaming rig.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I have been playing from scratch for 30+ hours and haven't experienced a single crash, most likely his save is borked, probably from mods

What I have experienced is a plethora of minor bugs and graphical glitches.

Sunlight reflections flickering like mad, rendering flat out breaking due to frame rate bugs, NPCs walking through geometry/vehicles

Yeah this game is still glitchy and it occasionally ruins the atmosphere

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Upgrade your PC.
Of course, you didn't notice it back then, but now, after three years, the thermal paste on your GPU has dried up. The hotspot temperature goes above the safety limit, causing it to crash. It could also be your RAM failing. Run GPUZ to check for temperature issues, and please note that temperatures exceeding 110°C are not normal. After that, run some memory tests. The game runs flawlessly and is highly optimized compared to other modern titles.
It's a common trope on Steam forums; people often blame the game. However, when you look at the Steam survey, you'll find that an overwhelming majority actually have hardware that's inferior to an Xbox or PS5. I can already hear the autistic screeching here , as its very taboo, but for many of these individuals, it might be more cost-effective to simply get a console, especially if they lack the skills or financial means to maintain and upgrade a gaming rig.
The issue is with Cyberpunk 2.0 specifically. But I appreciate the advice.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The two polish BD and other software vendors in Dogtown are voiced by the founders of CDP, right? I assume it's them because there is just something off about their lines, like amateurs did the voice work or they did it in a crappy studio, the sound just sounds off compared to other voice over work in the game, and not because of the potato-speak. Well that and obviously that is a reference to their start by selling pirated software in a bazaar stand located on a crumbling stadium, so it would make sense to shove them in as a cameo.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Level scaling was obnoxious in the Bethesda games because of the ebony gear on muggers and that sort of thing, i.e. it was obnoxious from an rp perspective, not from a gameplay perspective. The idea that even lower-level grunts should still be somewhat of a challenge even say by mid-game is a good 'un.

For me, sense of progression is mostly horizontal, to do with you having more toys and integrating them into your gameplay, not numbers bloat. Also, the enemies should be roughly the same (later ones just do a bit more bodybuilding): more advanced enemies just have more toys and notional skill (better AI), and the tactical aspect is integrating your new toys with tactics to counter their new toys.

Games shouldn't have more than 10 levels of progression in the bloat sense, and "levels" as such should reflect more the attitude of the virtual world to you (i.e. they reflect your social standing in the game and therefore your access to things in the game, such as more cool tricks from your training, more opportunities for quests, etc.).

What's gained from a 40 level progression other than numbers bloat and finer "grain"? Nothing, it's just a silly illusion, all that really matters is the percentage chunks you take out of things, which increments relatively slowly throughout the game, and is fairly strictly capped (i.e. normal hit about a 20-25% chunk, heavy about a 40-50% chunk, super hit about a 60-70% chunk). And much is lost in terms of quasi-realism and continuous challenge (unless silliness like ebony armor ofc).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People hear level scaling and assume a lot of things. The 2.0 system is a straight up improvement over the old system. Playing on very hard, the world feels more coherent and believable so far. The cyberware and gear upgrades are improved and are set to support different builds, whereas previously everything was sort of mix and match and felt much more generic.

For instance, my original playthrough had a character that was essentially a reflex/cool build with int 4. Yet it was more beneficial for me to outfit V with an deck and suite of hacks than a sandevistan. Now, if you want to do much with a deck, you have to actually invest in int and hacking skills. Starting over in 2.0, V was pretty weak starting out, as you'd expect but I definitely noticed the difference perks and gear upgrades made. V can still die if not paying attention or ambushed, but with proper preparation can easily wipe out camps and groups which is what I'd expect since this character is basically a netrunner glass cannon at this point.

There's also a distinct difference between various enemies like mechs, cops, gangers, and corp soldiers and how cybered up they are. You can definitely tell when an enemy is more organic or when they're cybered to the tits like a tank. Ironically, this makes builds and the world feel more believable and the game feel more RPGish than before.

As I've said before, anyone who took the talk about how 2.0 is "CP as it should have been" to mean a different game is going to be disappointed. However, if you look at the systems and not the storyline, it's pretty hard to say it's anything but a direct and massive improvement.

Moink

Cipher
Noticed a few moments where my gameplay decisions have come up in dialogue or seem to have changed quests, would have to do another playthrough to find out obviously. Side note, the game world is littered with lootable objects (more so than the base game), but of course there's nothing worthwhile inside them since they changed how gear works, makes me think the changes to itemisation weren't a thing until very recently.

Mortmal

Arcane
Upgrade your PC.
The issue is with Cyberpunk 2.0 specifically. But I appreciate the advice.
Do you run any other demanding AAA games atm ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom