Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm 15 reflexes, 12 cool, 4 body and the tech/int at 3. From Body I've only picked the first major perk that gives health regen in combat. The rest I've spent on assault rifles, a little on sneaking. I don't have any of the major cyberware though, using quickhacks here and there, usually overheat. Also my armor is much lower than yours.

So great, build variety exists on higher difficulties. I don't remember that being a topic before.

Having fucked around a bit with 2.0 I have to ask: Why are people excited for this again? You can just watch a story summary of the DLC on Youtube and get the exact same experience as playing it, sans the tediousness.
Usually they don't upload in HDR and YouTube sends only stero not Dolby Atmos. So you can't get the same cinematic experience as playing with a good home theater system, which is how this movie game should be enjoyed.

Trithne

Erudite
I'm 15 reflexes, 12 cool, 4 body and the tech/int at 3. From Body I've only picked the first major perk that gives health regen in combat. The rest I've spent on assault rifles, a little on sneaking. I don't have any of the major cyberware though, using quickhacks here and there, usually overheat. Also my armor is much lower than yours.

So great, build variety exists on higher difficulties. I don't remember that being a topic before.

For what it's worth I ran very low on ammo in the raffen shiv fight too, setpiece encounters like that are definitely made to be tough.

But yes, they seem to have made build variety more than just what gun do you feel like using today. There's actual synergies and combinations you can exploit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
looks like throwing bladed weapons(knives/axes) do not benefit from melee improvements in reflex tree

Vyvian

Educated
I tried Phantom Liberty on a boosted character to see how they set you up. New PL characters start at level 15 with most points in Reflexes, Intelligence and Tech.
It was interesting to say the least, might have to turn down NPC density a bit in Dogtown but it wasn't terrible.
The first bits of PL combat were intense and actually drained the ammo I began with in nearly every gun. That's literally never happened to me before and it was actually refreshing because I had to actually think about the battles a bit.
I stopped partway through the beginning though since I only wanted a taste and to test my potato's performance in Dogtown.

Perkel

Arcane
looks like CDPR removed ray reconstruction in PL. I noticed it was causing faces look bad compared to non RR as subsurface scattering didn't seem to work.

EDIT: nah it is there just under dlss instead of ray tracing.

Last edited:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

leveling scaling is a legit improvement you heard him guys

Than the Red Skull system? Fuck yes it is. The Red Skull system was "level = power" at its worst and basically like an mmo. If you hadn't reached the magical level number, you did no damage to them, but if you did, and came back with the exact same build, they lost that buff. Fuck that.

I disagree. With level scaling your gonk level 1 V, that gets fucked over by Dex, can go around killing Arasaka and Militech soldiers. It's nonsense, where is the progression? Also, why then everyone is on par with level 50 V, Night City legend, Adam Smasher's smasher?

Takamori

Learned
Is this game worth playing? if i didnt like Witcher 3?
Ok what aspects of W3 you hated?
I am not sure if I'm correct it was a while when i played w3 but i think i attacked a monster that was much higher level than me and i could easily dodge all of it attacks but i didnt do almost any DMG because he had higher level than me and that was retarded for me that i could run around for 10 minutes break a sword and during this time i barely chipped his hp so i had to go back do something else and level up dunno if that how this worked it broke my immersion I'm already pro Witcher in third game but i need to meta game i kill some bozos before i can approach higher level enemy.
Oh CP2077 doesn't have that. The 2.0 basically just added level scaling to the game, I think the only enemies that might feel a bit retarded are the cyberpsycho if you decide to rush their mission with starter gear but once you get your build rolling you can have fun with them.

Trithne

Erudite

Than the Red Skull system? Fuck yes it is. The Red Skull system was "level = power" at its worst and basically like an mmo. If you hadn't reached the magical level number, you did no damage to them, but if you did, and came back with the exact same build, they lost that buff. Fuck that.

I disagree. With level scaling your gonk level 1 V, that gets fucked over by Dex, can go around killing Arasaka and Militech soldiers. It's nonsense, where is the progression? Also, why then everyone is on par with level 50 V, Night City legend, Adam Smasher's smasher?

They aren't. On an individual level, the only enemies that pose any threat me at just level 23 are dudes with considerable amounts of cyberware. Which is appropriate. Conversely, when you're weak and have shit all gear and ware, the guys with sandevistans and shiploads of armour are tough to kill because of it.

This isn't a setting where you get to just smash on someone because you had a fee levels of personal growth. It's a setting of cybernetics and guns. Get unlucky and any gonk with a revolver can end you, unless you've got the tech to counter it. There is lots of character growth potential in the game, it's just not tied to your level. It's in your gear and your ware. And perks. And getting tangible, active advantages from those is more interesting to me as a form of character growth than the number getting bigger.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

They aren't. On an individual level, the only enemies that pose any threat me at just level 23 are dudes with considerable amounts of cyberware. Which is appropriate. Conversely, when you're weak and have shit all gear and ware, the guys with sandevistans and shiploads of armour are tough to kill because of it.

This isn't a setting where you get to just smash on someone because you had a fee levels of personal growth. It's a setting of cybernetics and guns. Get unlucky and any gonk with a revolver can end you, unless you've got the tech to counter it. There is lots of character growth potential in the game, it's just not tied to your level. It's in your gear and your ware. And perks. And getting tangible, active advantages from those is more interesting to me as a form of character growth than the number getting bigger.
just admit it's shit

Trithne

Erudite

just admit it's shit

Only if you admit the same about Starfield first.

Rhobar121

Scholar

just admit it's shit

He would rather commit suicide out of despair than do that.
Looks like Vic wants Todd to fuck him in the ass, that's the only reasonable explanation.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

just admit it's shit

I've admitted plenty of things that are shit about starfield, but come on, arguing for level scaling? Level scaling is a band-aid for shitty progression

Trithne

Erudite

just admit it's shit

I've admitted plenty of things that are shit about starfield, but come on, arguing for level scaling? Level scaling is a band-aid for shitty progression

Level scaling is lots of things. What I'm arguing is that level scaling doesn't automatically mean some sort of never getting a sense of character progression or improvement, unless your combat system consists entirely of shooting at bullet sponges while getting shot back and whoever runs out of health first loses, which sounds a lot like a certain recent game now I think about it.

My argument is that instead of hearing "level scaling" and immediately throwing the baby overboard, look at the whole design - enemies are "scaled" to your level because the world design benefits from keeping everyone at a certain level of relative lethality.

Like someone said, level scaling doesn't mean a dragon is the same as you and a goblin, it means the dragon is always stronger than you. A good progression model is inherently "level scaled", because good progression models don't have levels.

Last edited:

Moink

Cipher
Dogtown market guts my performance, down from ~80 to 45-50 at times. The Asian girl seems like a mary sue, she started hacking at 13, can do anything, tells Johnny to shut up etc which isn't giving me a good feeling about the rest of the writing. I've noticed a bunch of skill prompts but they are all 3 so any character can do them, feels like bait for journos to write about how there's skill checks everywhere.

You guys can replay this without sexy mods?
:despair:

New clothing options are either slutty or combat armour, guess they had a glance at the nexus front page, shame there's still no way to get proper visual cyberware.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Like someone said, level scaling doesn't mean a dragon is the same as you and a goblin, it means the dragon is always stronger than you. A good progression model is inherently "level scaled", because good progression models don't have levels.
Everything you say is wrong

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i have a suspicion that door checks are scaled. Everything is now at 20 for me

Moink

Cipher
i have a suspicion that door checks are scaled. Everything is now at 20 for me

Could be, I saw a 3 int check (I have 3 int) and a 3 body check (I have 4), while the 2 Cool options I've seen were 20 (I have 20 Cool).

Perkel

Arcane
ehhh HDR implementation is still shit. Can't tune it at all correctly as eye adaptation just fucks everything up. Either you get washed out picture that you can see or HDR pop but everything either too bright or too dark.

Moink

Cipher
Just got beaten up by the pantsuit wearing girlboss president, game gives you the option to punch back but she still floors V.

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom