Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I got the chance to ask Pawel Sasko some of my biggest questions about his work on Cyberpunk and CDPR alongside his life, upbringing, work, aspirations, influences, and passion!

I hope you guys enjoy.

Timestamps:
0:00 - Intro
4:28 - Pawel’s younger years, upbringing, & video games
9:02 - How Pawel started writing
11:50 - What are Pawel’s movie, book, game inspirations?
23:42 - Pawel’s biggest Cyberpunk influences
32:05 - Career path & CD PROJEKT being the only option
46:17 - With Pondsmith’s expansive universe, how did CDPR know what to pull and what to leave behind?
58:15 - What did Cyberpunk 2077’s base game creation look like?
1:05:58 - How does your Master’s Degree in Psychology influence your game design decisions?
1:09:53 - How did Phantom Liberty’s story change based on feedback from the base game’s story?
1:17:50 - How will Unreal Engine & The NA talent pool influence Cyberpunk Orion?
1:23:15 - Pawel’s message to the CDPR and Cyberpunk community

Heh, he's quite sweet really, got tons of energy and enthusiasm :)

Frozen

Arcane
I never played this shit because V looked so generic and boring as a character, but it got me thinking...if Keanu was the player character from the beginning, do you think this game would be more interesting?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In a way, Johnny is the player character. He tags along in your head and comments on at least half of the gigs you take on. Switching roles wouldn't make any sense.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I never played this shit because V looked so generic and boring as a character, but it got me thinking...if Keanu was the player character from the beginning, do you think this game would be more interesting?

You realize there is a character creator in the game, right? There's a fair amount of latitude there to make him/her look however you fancy.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The "night club" in the tower in Dogtown in the game's DLC is really impressive. There's a live performance that happens when you visit there that's interesting to just stand and watch.

Frozen

Arcane

You realize there is a character creator in the game, right? There's a fair amount of latitude there to make him/her look however you fancy.

Again, some of you people are really dense if you think looks makes personality.

V is as boring and generic as an NPC from a TES game.

Thats the main reason of this game failure- he is so fucking boring and there is no motivation to play as him- why should I care if he lives or dies? World is boring, characters are boring, there is no goal.

It's like Dragon Age 2 and cringe Hawke all over again.

Frozen

Arcane
A character is more than visuals. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

V is boring, game is boring, setting is boring, other characters (again, nothing to do with what they look like but their personalities) are boring, there is no direction, and because he is boring you don't care and that's why its shit.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not the only one who assumed you meant "looks" as in, literally, looks. You also started off with a rather ridiculous question, whether playing the game as Johnny would be more interesting.

It almost seems like you don't really know anything about this game, nor how to properly express your opinion about it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
A character is more than visuals. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

V is boring, game is boring, setting is boring, other characters (again, nothing to do with what they look like but their personalities) are boring, there is no direction, and because he is boring you don't care and that's why its shit.
Have you ever considered learning to read? That could make story time much more fulfilling to you and you could leave video games behind where providing storytime for you isn't as important as providing gameplay elements.

Frozen

Arcane
Yes, because gameplay was always strong point of these potato games LOL

It's a shitty first-person shooter.

Frozen

Arcane
I'm not the only one who assumed you meant "looks" as in, literally, looks. You also started off with a rather ridiculous question, whether playing the game as Johnny would be more interesting.

It almost seems like you don't really know anything about this game, nor how to properly express your opinion about it.

I have expressed it in detail. It's your problem if you don't get it.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So, you are telling me it's a bad game?

I agree.

"Bad" is ridiculous hyperbole. It's not the RPG that was hyped, but it's a good game now, especially after the recent update. It's probably the best relaxing popamole around atm, and some of the questage and story is well done and even thought-provoking at times (if you were ever into cyberpunk and the themes around uploading/AI, etc., and how those would affect human lives - sometimes the game brings home the sense of, "what if all that were real?"). It's a game to hop into now and then for some enjoyable fool-blasting. There's a vast number of morsel-like combat encounters, and the weather combined with the day/night cycle multiplies the feel of them endlessly.

(It happened to me the other day again: I came across a fun encounter, and I only realized after reading one of the shards that it was the same as a memorable encounter I'd had before, but then it was in the night in the rain, and this time it was during the sunny day, and I'd come across the spot from a completely different direction, so I hadn't recognized it.)

I can't see myself getting bored of this game until I know the map and encounters too well for that illusion to work any more - which I estimate will take some time yet (I'm only just starting to get familiar with some of the areas and connections between them).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which is exactly what a blank slate RPG protagonist should be, so you can insert whatever personality you want to play as.

I'd rather play Mr. or Mrs. Blank Slate with no backstory and then go wild with different character builds and story choices, than a pre-determined character with a detailed history and expected behaviors like Geralt.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Which is exactly what a blank slate RPG protagonist should be, so you can insert whatever personality you want to play as.
Blank slate characters to insert personality don't work when there's voice acting. Even if the voice acting is amazing (already rare), that still prevents you from imaging personality because voice/intonation/etc. conveys a lot about a person.

Geralt works (no matter the personal opinion). A more blank slate character with voice acting like DA:I (yes, I'm being disingenuous using an example of shit game) gets the worst of both worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom