Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
not seeing lighting effects until you got really close to them like shop windows and neon signs lighting up the ground.
You are right. A little after I wrote that post, I started up the game and went to see Regina Jones in her base. When I exited the elevator and turned the corner right, into her room, I saw her black friend there just as he was materializing out of thin air, the same way that cars do. Then there was a very easy to notice moment when I took one step towards Regina and suddenly big stacks of white smoke became visible through the big glass wall behind her back. They were not there until I took that step towards her. From then on I could walk around the place, turn around, but the smoke wouldn't be culled, it was staying there.

Yep, looks like they are just optimizing for PS4 and pushing the same code for all platforms atm. Probably they are working with minimal staff around the holidays, who knows. Anything to slow the torrent of PS4 refunds I guess :lol: I feel sorry for the devs butchering their own work.

Something interesting I came accross in Forbes that throws light and is related to one investor's question from the conference call, which was in the spirit of "couldn't you release just for PC and next gen":

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...efunds-for-ps4-and-ps5-after-gamers-cry-foul/
Part of the issue is that Sony and Microsoft require games released on PS4 or Xbox One to play on all versions of those consoles. You can’t just release a PS4 Pro game that doesn’t play on PS4 vanilla. Same for Xbox One X and Xbox One (and S).

The expectation is that a game released on PS4 will look and play better on PS4 Pro, where it could theoretically upscale to 4k or run at 60fps, but that same game will still look and play like a PS4 game on a base PS4.

So the logic is "it should work without a hitch on PS4 and look even better on PS4 Pro", and "It will run like shit on PS4 but will be playable on PS4 Pro" is not acceptable in any situation.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
and you get a mod early on that makes all you guns non-lethal (WHUT?)
Near the entrance to one of the cyberpsycho missions' "arena" area, I found a mod that "makes bullets non-lethal" (magic?), but it only works on the weapon you put that mod on.

Behind the fancy presentation, it never feels as good as ANY Witcher game.
but it never delivers the depth of stuff like being bros with Iorweth in W2 or the witch hunt in W1.
Same impression so far. Apparently it won't change until the end.

Take a game like Kingdom Come: it's flawed
Apart from the jump into linearity towards the end, what's flawed? It was a great game with good balance between open world shit and missions, and a lot of emergent gameplay possibilities. Unlike anything Vavra had done yet.

There's like, an ocular mod that makes all of your attacks nonlethal, even the suicide hack. Not sure why an optics mod makes someone else putting an inch hole through their cranium non-lethal.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There's like, an ocular mod that makes all of your attacks nonlethal, even the suicide hack. Not sure why an optics mod makes someone else putting an inch hole through their cranium non-lethal.
I decided to play without cyberware at all (currently lvl 20). It's just so OP, and I'm already so OP that I'm too lazy to go and install it. At first I lacked the money, but now that I have the money I can't be bothered to go to the ripperdoc. So I never knew about this mod's existance.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have the space so I'm gonna install 1.04 and take some comparison shots with the lights I think, either that or prove myself insane.

Welp never mind, even though GOG said the offline installers last night were still 1.03 it installed at 1.05 so I guess I'm stuck with this downgraded version for now. Lame.

EDIT: Okay you can revert to 1.04 in the Galaxy config menu, so I won't be able to do direct comparisons but hopefully I can at least see if I'm crazy or not by walking the same areas I just did earlier.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
7qslw4mtndv51.jpg

Bara

Arcane
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Cars launching into the air and disappearing in the horizon.
I watched people fall through the floor never to be seen again.
All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

That all at least sounds more memorable than anything I've played in the game as of yet sadly. Like its okay but I feel like in just going through the motions rather than getting invested in any plot.

Turjan

Arcane
One thing that bugs me a bit about the game is one that many games with a story have when they allow you to do lots of other stuff in between. For example, I did this whole Nomad quest line a long time ago (40 hours?), with basically ending up in a relationship with Panam - or so I got the impression. She sent one sequence of texts afterwards, and since then, she's like eaten by the ground. You can't call her, she's silent, and I don't see her anywhere in the Nomad camp, either. There are no calls coming anymore, anyway, except if you start one of the missions. Most NCPD calls seem to have gone with the patch (it's kind of jarring now, because the star is only visible for a short moment, and then all hints at the random quest are gone).

Anyway, what I meant is that if you take a break from the story, you also take a break from any relationships you may have thought you built. It's weird. You just have Johnny, who makes a rare appearance.

I'll call it a day for today. I shouldn't try any vehicle pursuits when I'm tired. Some of the accidents were... interesting, to say the least.

deama

Prophet
didn't follow the game before the release, did they actively push the "cyberpunk GTA" angle or did that just come from fans? I just went in treating it like the Witcher 3 in Cyberpunk form and that seems to work for the game.
They pushed it in the beginning, but around middle of this year changed their tone, but was kinda too late for that.

Gargaune

Arcane
not seeing lighting effects until you got really close to them like shop windows and neon signs lighting up the ground.
You are right. A little after I wrote that post, I started up the game and went to see Regina Jones in her base. When I exited the elevator and turned the corner right, into her room, I saw her black friend there just as he was materializing out of thin air, the same way that cars do. Then there was a very easy to notice moment when I took one step towards Regina and suddenly big stacks of white smoke became visible through the big glass wall behind her back. They were not there until I took that step towards her. From then on I could walk around the place, turn around, but the smoke wouldn't be culled, it was staying there.

Yep, looks like they are just optimizing for PS4 and pushing the same code for all platforms atm. Probably they are working with minimal staff around the holidays, who knows. Anything to slow the torrent of PS4 refunds I guess :lol: I feel sorry for the devs butchering their own work.

Damn, guess I'll stick with 1.04 for now. I really hate it when devs just chuck shit like that in there instead of providing some Options entries. What's the point, anyway? Culling visual effects like that should give the GPU extra breathing room, but I was under the impression most of these console bugs seemed more like the CPU or RAM choking, didn't they?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
I need to actually play around with the inventory and other interfaces in CP2077 more to do a full critique of them, but I think there are two root problems from which most other UI/UX issues stem:

1) Inconsistent and/or unexpected control mapping for keyboard and mouse, which feels like a consequence of designing and playing with controllers exclusively/dominantly until late in development. M3 and keystrokes are not the same as 3rd and 4th face buttons on a controller, but controls have to go somewhere.

2) Overloaded controls. Sometimes designers develop controls to give equal access to every interaction at a given point. That’s usually not good, because every interaction doesn’t have equal importance, frequency, or even similar use cases. When you force the controls to support every interaction you could possibly want to do at a single point, the mapping gets complicated, crowded, and unwieldy.

I need to play more with the RPG systems as well, but I don’t like sifting through half a dozen variants of the same pistol or scope mod that differ in DPS or ADS time by single digit percentages or literally hundredths of a second, respectively. It’s inconsequential noise. If it doesn’t make any perceptible difference to the action economy or the utility of how I use the gear, it doesn’t matter to me and the process is just tedious.

Yes, I understand this is how many looter shooters work and also how The Outer Worlds works. It’s not gameplay I personally find enjoyable or interesting.

It looks like the perks get more useful / interesting later on, but when base level perks are giving things like 3% increases to damage, it falls into the same pit of “this makes no difference in gameplay”. This is exacerbated by the fact that the pace at which you will upgrade or swap out weapons is much faster than the pace at which you gain perks.

You have a rifle that does 100 DPS. You take a perk that increases damage from cover by 10%, so that goes up to 110 DPS. Unless the per-shot damage increase from the perk results in fewer bullets to take out an enemy, that is completely imperceptible. Then, after taking that perk, you upgrade to a different weapon, which becomes your new baseline inclusive with the perk. So if you take another perk that increases damage by 10 or 15% under certain circumstances, you’re not comparing its efficacy to the old rifle, before you took the first perk. The delta will feel the same, i.e. inconsequential, especially if enemies gain HP at a rate that matches your progression.

All of this amounts to a linear “ramp” incline where your numbers go up but the feeling of efficacy/”time to kill” is largely the same and you’re not usually gaining any new mechanics or different ways to engage with the content. I prefer less frequent, more impactful upgrades that do not directly overlap with how content (i.e., enemies) progresses.

Visually, it’s like two staircases going up, one for your stats/abilities, one for the monsters. The monsters’ steps don’t overlap with your steps, so there will be points where you upgrade and just clobber the hell out of enemies for a while until you hit the next monster step. Then you struggle for a while before you step up, repeating the cycle.

Classic AD&D has this feeling, as does Fallout 1. There are a lot of things I wouldn’t want to emulate from those classic games, but I still really feel they have a better sense of progression, especially in the 4-12 level range.

That said, I’m only 7ish hours in and I need to play a lot more to do a fair and thorough critique of everything.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/

:balance:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Just a fun fact from a fan of pre-decline American music - Peggy Lee wrote this song a couple of years after her divorce with her first husband who was himself a guitarist. They had left Benny Goodman's orchestra in order to marry, because Benny was against mixing personal relations with work.

What's the point, anyway? Culling visual effects like that should give the GPU extra breathing room, but I was under the impression most of these console bugs seemed more like the CPU or RAM choking, didn't they?
I wonder the same thing, but it may be down to streaming from the hard drive. Both base consoles have 8GB RAM but there is certainly caching and transfer on/from the HDD.

As for switching versions, didn't someone complain that the 1.04 version is taken off from GOG now even for manual installing? On Steam, everything is already cleared out, you can't choose versions in the dropdown :lol:

I can see the point in putting underwear on NPCs - after all people usually have underwear - but pasties on strippers is tasteless and the worst of both worlds. I remember all the talk about being a mature game, and what - in the cutscene where V is sitting down in the bathroom, he is wearing pants under the shower. You'd think he has served in the Turkish military.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I need to actually play around with the inventory and other interfaces in CP2077 more to do a full critique of them, but I think there are two root problems from which most other UI/UX issues stem:

1) Inconsistent and/or unexpected control mapping for keyboard and mouse, which feels like a consequence of designing and playing with controllers exclusively/dominantly until late in development. M3 and keystrokes are not the same as 3rd and 4th face buttons on a controller, but controls have to go somewhere.

2) Overloaded controls. Sometimes designers develop controls to give equal access to every interaction at a given point. That’s usually not good, because every interaction doesn’t have equal importance, frequency, or even similar use cases. When you force the controls to support every interaction you could possibly want to do at a single point, the mapping gets complicated, crowded, and unwieldy.

I need to play more with the RPG systems as well, but I don’t like sifting through half a dozen variants of the same pistol or scope mod that differ in DPS or ADS time by single digit percentages or literally hundredths of a second, respectively. It’s inconsequential noise. If it doesn’t make any perceptible difference to the action economy or the utility of how I use the gear, it doesn’t matter to me and the process is just tedious.

Yes, I understand this is how many looter shooters work and also how The Outer Worlds works. It’s not gameplay I personally find enjoyable or interesting.

It looks like the perks get more useful / interesting later on, but when base level perks are giving things like 3% increases to damage, it falls into the same pit of “this makes no difference in gameplay”. This is exacerbated by the fact that the pace at which you will upgrade or swap out weapons is much faster than the pace at which you gain perks.

You have a rifle that does 100 DPS. You take a perk that increases damage from cover by 10%, so that goes up to 110 DPS. Unless the per-shot damage increase from the perk results in fewer bullets to take out an enemy, that is completely imperceptible. Then, after taking that perk, you upgrade to a different weapon, which becomes your new baseline inclusive with the perk. So if you take another perk that increases damage by 10 or 15% under certain circumstances, you’re not comparing its efficacy to the old rifle, before you took the first perk. The delta will feel the same, i.e. inconsequential, especially if enemies gain HP at a rate that matches your progression.

All of this amounts to a linear “ramp” incline where your numbers go up but the feeling of efficacy/”time to kill” is largely the same and you’re not usually gaining any new mechanics or different ways to engage with the content. I prefer less frequent, more impactful upgrades that do not directly overlap with how content (i.e., enemies) progresses.

Visually, it’s like two staircases going up, one for your stats/abilities, one for the monsters. The monsters’ steps don’t overlap with your steps, so there will be points where you upgrade and just clobber the hell out of enemies for a while until you hit the next monster step. Then you struggle for a while before you step up, repeating the cycle.

Classic AD&D has this feeling, as does Fallout 1. There are a lot of things I wouldn’t want to emulate from those classic games, but I still really feel they have a better sense of progression, especially in the 4-12 level range.

That said, I’m only 7ish hours in and I need to play a lot more to do a fair and thorough critique of everything.

Poor Josh has repented, give him work already!

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Poor Josh has repented, give him work already!

+% skills and items are boring? SHOCKING.

Good thing we have Mr. Balance to rescue us.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Sawyer is one of those rare people in life that if he says things you agree with you immediately want to disagree with just because you cannot stand the thought of tarnishing your soul by saying, "I agree with Josh Sawyer."

So no, CP2077 is fine. It's perfect. I HATE you, Josh Sawyer.

catchaser

Savant
The missions try to be Deux Ex but there's no multiple paths tied to skills, it's basically "kill everyone" or "sneak around". Your l33t hacking skills and cyberware don't open new paths, just help you sneak or shoot everyone.
That's simply untrue. I can recall plenty of alternate routes i found either by exploration or hacking. In one side mission i walked above the entire area via hidden path and found a hand placed epic rifle. In a certain shady ripperdoc clinic you can hack open a door which (unsurprisingly) leads to a scavengers den. Also, there are many doors which provide shortcuts if you pass a skill check. Some window shutters can be hacked to provide shortcuts, for example you don't have to persuade your way to see Fingers. You can just open a window from the outside and jump your way in. There's multiple ways to enter the Clouds brothel VIP area. That's just from the top of my head, and I'm not even halfway through the game.

Also, non-lethal weapons are required in cyberpsycho gigs, some missions have a different outcome if you don't kill your target (the killer cop gig for example).

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As for switching versions, didn't someone complain that the 1.04 version is taken off from GOG now even for manual installing?

It seems to be available, I'm installing 1.04 right now from Galaxy. Haven't played it yet though so I don't know if there will be some roadblock or something.

Go to the icon with the two sliders to the right of the play button at the top -> manage installation -> configure -> remove tick for "update automatically" and the older versions appear.

(I'm downgrading because I want to play around with the console.)

Gargaune

Arcane
As for switching versions, didn't someone complain that the 1.04 version is taken off from GOG now even for manual installing? On Steam, everything is already cleared out, you can't choose versions in the dropdown :lol:
GOG usually updates mainline offline installers to the latest builds as soon as they're available and they add delta patches for people who already have the game installed, that's standard practice.

I'm still on 1.04, I've downloaded the 1.05 patch but haven't applied it yet. I've still got the 1.03 initial setup and the patches on an external drive, I tend to do that with GOG games, even got a 1.3 version of Beamdog's BG EE still kicking around. Anyway, I haven't played the game in a few days, fat chance this thing's gonna get between me and my fifth Deus Ex replay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom