Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone wins settlement after lawsuit over sexual assault accusations

tindrli

Arcane
Totally agreed. journalists and news burried him alive

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How soon we forget Sawyers "pro-rape" quest line in New Vegas..
Sorry, the what questline?
The Cook-Cook and Fiends in general, Avellone just threw Sawyer under the bus by saying something in the lines of "yeah that wasnt me guys it was all Sawyer go harrass him" and Sawyer actually stood his ground and said that rape is one of the brutal truths of war.

GdGmjSI_d.webp
Fallout 2 had rape (sort of, not so consensual, blackmail type).
Still, is it worse than being ripped to pieces by some Deathclaw in the wasteland, or being used as a guinea pig to further increase the potency of Jet?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Avellone is just very literal sometimes, doesn't mean he is against using rape in fiction, just that in this case it was Sawyer and MCA really doesn't like to get attributed for things he hasn't done, good or bad

Yes.. Yes.. well done Grauken.. good display of selective reading & Head larping..

However..

To me, a 2-3 sentence character that is summarized a rapist and abuser as a character concept strikes me as shallow and thoughtless, both in action or by not reflecting on the design approach itself. Not only is the subject matter offensive, the brevity on the character’s "defining traits" makes it more offensive.

Obviously, you're welcome to disagree - please do. But I won’t defend any decisions in the present or even ones I’ve made in the past regarding similar subjects, especially decisions 20+ years and 20+ games (I think?) in the past except that I realized what garbage those decisions were, how shitty they are to people who have suffered the same, and resolved not to do them again.

If others do want to defend them – and have – in the context of creating a more realistic setting... I'm not going to censor you, but I won't defend you. It’s especially difficult for me to defend when I’ve known loved ones who’ve suffered those incidents and know how using them casually and thoughtlessly can be painful, especially in a medium designed to entertain.

TL;DR - He was moral fagging.

(holy fuck these hotkeys are annoying in xenforo)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah Sawyer has some sort of rape fixation, it comes up at least tangentially often in his stuff.

Darkwind Citation needed. Just ask the #1 JES scholar.

On further reflection I realized Josh Sawyer's fixation with rape isn't just limited to IWD2, but rather every project with his writing contributions. He's the one who brought Ginnafae and Marketh into IWD; the only rape situation in that game as far as I can remember. The Black Hound would have included a character who had become pregnant from rape.* The Alien series is all about impregnating rape* and the Aliens RPG would have been no exception. Sawyer ordered George Ziets to write a quest about rape into Fallout: New Vegas*; additionally, he introduced Caesar's Legion, an army that rapes their way across the wasteland. I don't understand why someone who believes that "writing about topics with which you are familiar is a good approach"* is so fixated with a subject he himself can never experience (with the lone exception of that oh-so-pleasurable and funny yuan-ti female-on-male rape). It's not as if one can't write a mature RPG without rape; (as far as I can remember) Planescape: Torment and Mask of the Betrayer did just fine. I'll have to resign myself to the fact that Sawyer is the Alan Moore* of western role playing video games. There are worse things one can be.

The words of the #1 JES scholar.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Personally I think the best/most hilarious punishment is that when you google these literally whos, the first thing that pops up is Avellone.

That's the only thing they're notable for, is slandering a man.

Based.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I'm happy for Avellone.
But it's still a fucking shame he had to go through this, and in the end he still lost, because he'll never get a job in the industry regardless.

Taurist

Scholar
While it is good to see Chris’ name cleared, I’m not sure how much I like where the guilt lands for it all. These women are quite obviously mentally ill. The fault for the amplification of their claims relies on uncritical media types, and drama desperate twitter users. And Chris, for being a drunk and fucking bpd hoes at like 50 years old jesus.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
While it is good to see Chris’ name cleared, I’m not sure how much I like where the guilt lands for it all. These women are quite obviously mentally ill. The fault for the amplification of their claims relies on uncritical media types, and drama desperate twitter users. And Chris, for being a drunk and fucking bpd hoes at like 50 years old jesus.

He would have been late 30s/early 40s when most of this happened.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The Cook-Cook and Fiends in general, Avellone just threw Sawyer under the bus by saying something in the lines of "yeah that wasnt me guys it was all Sawyer go harrass him" and Sawyer actually stood his ground and said that rape is one of the brutal truths of war.

GdGmjSI_d.webp
Still, is it worse than being ripped to pieces by some Deathclaw in the wasteland, or being used as a guinea pig to further increase the potency of Jet?
what's really bad is that murderous Avellone KILLED ALL TALKING DEATHCLAWS!!!!!!!!
By the way, I wonder how that schizophrenic Deathclaw-fucker-Furry-otherkin felt about Avellone's victory?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah Sawyer has some sort of rape fixation, it comes up at least tangentially often in his stuff.
I think he has realism fixation, which in this case isn't wrong. In times of war, the winning side can take the losing side survivors, stab them into the anus with a sword and make bets on how long the guys will last, shitting blood out of their asses for hours before dying. Some joker may even rape a bleeding dying guy. Regular rape is mild in comparison. I've read about this particular example happening between Landsknechts vs Reisläufers. War being what it is, extreme cruelty and sadism happened in most of them and in all periods.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Glad to see that stupid bitch will will have to pay Chris for the damage she has brought him. I hope that between this and Amber Heard that these shrill harpies will now think twice about #MeToo'ing a man for victim bucks and attention.
I'm not sure if losing cash is the solution.
They should be put behind bars, so they can't falsely accuse other people.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I think he has realism fixation, which in this case isn't wrong. In times of war, the winning side can take the losing side survivors, stab them into the anus with a sword and make bets on how long the guys will last, shitting blood out of their asses for hours before dying. Some joker may even rape a bleeding dying guy. Regular rape is mild in comparison. I've read about this particular example happening between Landsknechts vs Reisläufers. War being what it is, extreme cruelty and sadism happened in most of them and in all periods.

Seeing your friends get shot in the head down in the trenches really wears down your sanity..

Nothing like a few cold beers & and some good ol anus blood sports for a boost in morale with the boiz.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

GdGmjSI_d.webp
what's really bad is that murderous Avellone KILLED ALL TALKING DEATHCLAWS!!!!!!!!
By the way, I wonder how that schizophrenic Deathclaw-fucker-Furry-otherkin felt about Avellone's victory?
I will quote myself.
1679958930377.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
All he had to do was tell everyone he is gay then he would survive at the end of the movie like Sawyer. Nice fighting the whore though.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

GdGmjSI_d.webp
And in the post-apoc movie A Boy and his Dog the protagonist is an active rapist who seeks out women to rape. And isn't Fallout influenced by that movie?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom