Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone wins settlement after lawsuit over sexual assault accusations

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't see anyone post it yet, I could be wrong (rate Old if so), kotaku finally posted an article for it:
https://kotaku.com/fallout-new-vegas-avellone-sexual-misconduct-libel-1850270184
In all the cases I’ve read about over the years, there’s only 1 I can think of that was actually a false allegation. I think it’s time we just take these women at their word and stop worrying about false allegations as a knee jerk reaction.

Of course that's the most upvoted comment :lol:

I hope one of these days they, their family got defamed and have their life completely destroyed for once

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Codex is not "nazi-friendly", it is "anything-tolerant" because it has almost nonexistant moderation. That has good and bad sides to it. But considering every other forum on the net is heavily moderated, codex is refreshing, even if it brings higher amount of eyerolling as a result.
Moderation is certainly not nonexistant and is doing its job just fine, but unlike all other platforms it is not responsible for censorship. Which is by design.

Hellion

Arcane
1CDlHho.png

Q0UH1xQ.png

You are all a bunch of fragile metacommentators.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's all good and well, but the real question is, why do we have to live in a world where companies "distance themselves" from people based on *accusations*. That's like a throwback to the middle-ages; "well, she looked like a witch, so we burned her... just in case!"

All these companies who have "disowned" the guy should be ashamed. Just because a sizeable portion of the public is retarded and makes a noise, then what?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well it's good that he gets his pseudo-apology and (theoretical) pay-day, but there's really no winners in this situation. His career is still fucked, and actual victims are less likely to be believed. A proper shit-show all around.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
His career is still fucked

I hope Avellone won't go back to working with the people that gleefully threw him under the bus. Generally, the games industry is unmitigated garbage anyways. A talented man has a lot of avenues, and I would respect it if he just fucks off and retires (if he has enough money).

Of course, what everybody wants is for him to come back in a few years, either solo or leading his own small studio, and continue making the games that made him popular in the first place. Hell, he can even write a book and I'm sure it'll sell.

6Ni2k.png

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
There is an inconsistency between what I've found on [this](https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=12157) post and [this](http://web.archive.org/web/20230328...s-avellone-sexual-misconduct-libel-1850270184) kotaku article. While you stated that the anti-SLAPP motion by the slanderers was denied, Kotaku claims that it was deemed rightful.

What happened here? Was it a matter of jurisdiction or anti-SLAPP after all? Kotaku did bring up a source, though I'm not knowledgeable enough about American lawyer-speek to know for sure what to draw from it.
Panzer0, there's the legal anti-SLAPP and there's what anti-SLAPP means. "Anti-SLAPP laws provide defendants a way to quickly dismiss meritless lawsuits—known as “SLAPPs” or “Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation".

Technically, from a legal point of view, Avellone lost the Anti-SLAPP case. However, he didn't lose it on merits. IE: The court DID NOT rule that it was a "meritless lawsuit". He lost it on jurisdictional grounds. That is, the court ruled that "We have no jurisdiction over this case, you shouldn't have filed with us you silly twat, go try your case elsewhere. Now pay legal fees because you wasted our time by filing it with us instead of filing it in the proper place".

Had Avellone lost the Anti-SLAPP case on merit, he WOULD NOT have been able to file against Kelly and Karissa in their respective states. It would've been all over for him, his goose would have been well and truly cooked. So in that sense, the Anti-SLAPP motion failed - in that it failed to have the lawsuit "quickly dismissed" because it was "meritless".

We are likely going to have an article with all the glorious detail coming out that will explain more. Maybe.

mastroego

Arcane
Why you fuckin Avellone simps regard this as a win for him?

Justice was not served.
He settled.

Speaking for myself, I am no simp, in fact I blame Avellone for being a leftist.
Still, in this case supporting his battle was the right thing to do.

I commented before, and I believe some lawyer somewhere said something similar, that as far as settlements go this sounds almost like a ruling.
I suppose evidence emerged that put the defendants in a very difficult position.
It may be a settlement but it's a rather humiliating one for the two women.

Of course this still is no justice. Not even a full ruling would restore it, that is a given.

Longes

Augur

Justice was not served.
He settled.
I'm not sure what you actually want here as "justice". The reason people settle out of court in the US legal system is that courts are incredibly slow and expensive, and in a civil suit mostly serve as a menacing stick to force the other party to settle. "Hey, give me a good offer and I won't drag this out for the next two decades."

Camel

Scholar
Oh also false accusations hurt real victims. This is the most important and damaging aspect of this whole charade! Never forget this.
Sod off to reddit and Retardera. False accusations hurt the falsely accused. After every debunked false accusation you lot start kvetching how nobody would believe "real victims" yet feminists and liberal media believe unquestionably every next false accusation like Crystal Mangum of Duke lacrosse and Jackie Coakley of the UVA rape hoax, Tara Read oh wait.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar

Justice was not served.
He settled.
His accusers retracted their false accusations and asked to remove them from game news sites. Avellone was awarded a seven-figure payment. Considering retarded US libel laws and “actual malice” garbage it’s as close to complete victory as it gets.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Justice was not served.
He settled.
His accusers retracted their false accusations and asked to remove them from game news sites. Avellone got a seven-figure payment. Considering retarded US libel laws and “actual malice” garbage it’s as close to complete victory as it gets.

He even got PC Gamer to make a statement bemoaning false accusations. That was not on my 2023 bingo.

Slaver1

Savant
The only thing that could slightly improve nu-Obsidian would be firing their writing team left, right and center then having the likes of Avellone back on a permanent basis. It would amount to an instant recovery of one of their historic strengths which is currently a glaring weakness.

Such a mind numbing political decision it was to rather pay the salaries of an office of aimless broads when they could have the likes Chris or somebody, anybody, else churning out words.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Justice was not served.
He settled.
Because their accusers officially acknowledged that what they have told about thim before was a lie and he is being payed. If this is not a victory, I don't know what is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom