Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He is hard, but 1h strength build here, and I beat him after a couple of tries. Backstep is indeed a good tactic. If you're lucky, you'll get a few free hits in if you manage to stunlock him.

Alphons

Cipher
2h Strength, Volker's armour, did majority of side quests and cleaned a good chunk of map. He got a few hits and got me to 50% Health, but I didn't use any scrolls against him.

Spoiler for the next main quest
Don't poison the beer.

Testicules

Educated
Just fucking lost it at a random sidequest in Chapter 5 where
The two guys in the Scoundrel's Den are in a prank war and one guy asks you to shoot off a cannon above the other sleeping guy (Saul) to startle him. When the cannonball inevitably blows Saul in half, I convince Gomez's lackey that Saul shot himself with a cannon.

This game is amazing, I don't want it to end.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Don't poison the beer.

Yeah, this was some choice and consequence that, while legit, really hurt.

The game even warns you. I'm so conditioned to fake choices, I didn't take it seriously. Like it wasn't a Gothic game...

Alphons

Cipher

All unnamed pirates, the merchant and some of the named ones die from the poison and bar owners get lynched.

You can pay one of the girls to directly poison Ben's wine to avoid it (or do it for free if you brought the ladies you rescue in the earlier quest to pirates instead of farmers).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So I bought a Gothic II Gold steam key for a buck yesterday, installed it into my Steam library, then downloaded the latest version of Myrtana and it launched fine. How do I install the zGamePad and Union plugins from Steam workshop for the Myrtana installation? The options are not available in Properties with Myrtana but they are available for Gothic II Gold Classic in my steam library. Unfortunately, Gothic II Gold Classic WILL NOT LAUNCH for me in Steam (I get that annoying "Access Violation" screen after crashing in the splash screen... is there a fix for this, btw?). I bought the base game just so I could download Mrytana so I'm not as mad about it as I should be but I do want to install Union and the zGamePad mod in Myrtana. Help a brother out if you can.

Edited: Nevermind. Found the standalone files on the https://worldofplayers.ru site and installed them manually. Using zGamePad this mod's control scheme runs like a dream. Even has target lock-on. If you too want to play Chronicles Of Myrtana like a couch king with your Xbox/DS4 controller, hit me up. I'll show you the way.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
So I bought a Gothic II Gold steam key for a buck yesterday, installed it into my Steam library, then downloaded the latest version of Myrtana and it launched fine. How do I install the zGamePad and Union plugins from Steam workshop for the Myrtana installation? The options are not available in Properties with Myrtana but they are available for Gothic II Gold Classic in my steam library. Unfortunately, Gothic II Gold Classic WILL NOT LAUNCH for me in Steam (I get that annoying "Access Violation" screen after crashing in the splash screen... is there a fix for this, btw?). I bought the base game just so I could download Mrytana so I'm not as mad about it as I should be but I do want to install Union and the zGamePad mod in Myrtana. Help a brother out if you can.

Edited: Nevermind. Found the standalone files on the https://worldofplayers.ru site and installed them manually. Using zGamePad this mod's control scheme runs like a dream. Even has target lock-on. If you too want to play Chronicles Of Myrtana like a couch king with your Xbox/DS4 controller, hit me up. I'll show you the way.
FYI just don't install any Ninja-based mods. They used a customized version of one of the libraries involved so most ninja-based mods will crash the game or just not work.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Update: I discovered that the reason Gothic II Gold on Steam crashes before the splash screen with Access Violation errors is because it's been "patched" for Steam to run on Windows 10 (and probably patched poorly, or maybe it's a windows update issue). Once I selected the Gothic II Gold Original downgrade option available on Steam, I was able to patch it normally with Union and it launched fine... unless you install the DirectX11 renderer mod to get those prettier, updated graphics ie dynamic lighting. Even on My 10-core i9, RTX 3070 rig it runs kind of shitty even though I'm getting a constant 60 FPS. There's just these little hitches and burps especially when turning that annoy me (similar to Stalker mods in that respect) when I feel it should play much better, like Far Cry 6 even in Ultra with ray tracing enabled. It also makes my GPU run hot as hell. Decided it's not worth it. Chronicles Of Myrtana however runs smoother and cooler.

Last edited:

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
This reminds me a lot more of Witcher 1 than either Gothic game in terms of design & structure.
In the aspect of short term C&C, perhaps so. Gothic was never very rich in that, but contained some faint traces of reactivity to choices and guild, especially in the opening chapters. As far as the design of the world is concerned, it is a perfect recreation of the design doctrine of Pirahna Bytes, one that even outdoes its precursors.

Codex Year of the Donut
This reminds me a lot more of Witcher 1 than either Gothic game in terms of design & structure.
In the aspect of short term C&C, perhaps so. Gothic was never very rich in that, but contained some faint traces of reactivity to choices and guild, especially in the opening chapters. As far as the design of the world is concerned, it is a perfect recreation of the design doctrine of Pirahna Bytes, one that even outdoes its precursors.
off the top of my head: Lots of immortal NPCs, predefined protagonist, significant amount of scripted events that take control of your character, many items/NPCs that don't spawn until you take a certain quest or do certain quest steps

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Lots of immortal NPCs
More than in Gothics, but it wasn't unheard of.

predefined protagonist
Gothic had that too.

significant amount of scripted events
Yeah, once they figured out how to force the engine to cooperate they set out to create many setpieces to tell their stories. It's the most significant divergence from the Gothic formula.

items/NPCs that don't spawn until you take a certain quest or do certain quest steps
Consequence of moving away from the more natural, but inevitably less advanced societal systems in Gothics.

Codex Year of the Donut
More than in Gothics, but it wasn't unheard of.
Gothic had extremely few, only where the story itself would break without them and even typically set them back to mortal once they weren't needed.
Gothic had that too.
gothicguy has no background other than "dude who was thrown into a penal colony" unless the translations differ
iirc it doesn't even state what crime he committed or even if he was actually guilty
he doesn't even have a name, it's a running joke that he tries to introduce himself and he gets interrupted
Consequence of moving away from the more natural, but inevitably less advanced societal systems in Gothics.
Not at all.
e.g., why do the bounty enemies only spawn once you've acquired the quest to kill them? There's no reason for this.

Codex Year of the Donut
The first time the "We're not in Khorinis anymore, Diego" feeling hit was pretty early, actually. When you're on the ship on top of the deck you can choose to defend the guy about to be killed and... your character just outwits the other guy with words using his master genius intellect.

Again, I think it's a fantastic game, but it just doesn't feel like Gothic to me.

thesecret1

Arcane
The game starts off holding your hand a lot, but it gets much better in that regard after you get out of the (needlessly long) tutorial

notpl

Arbiter
I totally agree that the game feels like a big divergence from gothic in some ways, but that's fine. It makes it feel that much more like a real sequel/prequel, an evolution of the series, rather than just some mod.

Codex Year of the Donut
I had to restart over due to a drive failing and losing my saves.
What's the max level you can get in chapter 1?

This is about where I'm at right now, but I'm running out of things to kill that won't kill me first. I think I've done nearly all the available quests.
Untitled.jpg

Need to find a better crossbow.
You can buy a set of leather armor from the guy in the pirate bay area in chapter 1 btw.

Sjukob

Arcane
I had to restart over due to a drive failing and losing my saves.
What's the max level you can get in chapter 1?

This is about where I'm at right now, but I'm running out of things to kill that won't kill me first. I think I've done nearly all the available quests.
If you are a nerd you can pretty much clear the entire island up to the city in chapter 1. I've made a bunch of videos showing how to kill even high level stuff with a weak character. Here are some of them, there are more on my channel:

In your case you can earn more levels by killing wargs, shadowbeats, bears and other things that give a good chunk of exp on kill. Those dark woods near Silbach are basically a fat exp pinata. Only frogmen and turtles can really stop you.

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
Doing that results in losing out on certain trophies and a shitton of seeds.

I'd highly recommend killing as little as possible in chapter 1 and 2 (till you get access to seeds at least).

That's a fair amount of cash lost especially if a you go butcher or alchemist.

edit - as a side note, if you need really need xp early then beat up the villagers. If you do it at night while they're sleeping (or alone if they're outside) you can generally get away with it without getting fined.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom