Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Vatnik Wumao
Anyone else finding the inventory tedious?? Haven't searched it for new weapons in hours. Also i see no difference between weapons in general. The difference is like 1 or 2 max damage unless energy weapons. But there is no ammo for energy so..... Also did anyone kill the worm boss,me weapons were doing 2 damage ?!
Very hard to find small items in the inventory. Difference in weapons is not just damage but also accuracy, range, stagger, penetration.

Marte1980

Novice
It's still not clear to me why would I be interested in the mission of this ship. Is the ship able to maintain our lives for another 40/50 years? My character is what, 25/30 yo? He doesn't have children, so why would he care? He actually wants all the other people on the ship to be his puppets and then, right after he dies, the ship should just be engulfed in a huge fire that kills everybody else. Basically, what I want to know is: can I just grab total power for myself, instead of supporting some stupid faction?

Tigranes

Arcane
It's still not clear to me why would I be interested in the mission of this ship. Is the ship able to maintain our lives for another 40/50 years? My character is what, 25/30 yo? He doesn't have children, so why would he care? He actually wants all the other people on the ship to be his puppets and then, right after he dies, the ship should just be engulfed in a huge fire that kills everybody else. Basically, what I want to know is: can I just grab total power for myself, instead of supporting some stupid faction?

The ship seems to be teetering on the brink of unlivable catastrophe one way or the other, no?

"Here are 3 factions with tradeoffs, or I can just backstab everyone, take all the power, and make all the right decisions as a basement dweller Philosopher King" is the stupidest shit in RPG design and must be eradicated.

I would, however, support a ITS way of doing it, where you destroy the fragile balance and small upsides each faction had wrought because 'you know better', and turns out you certainly didn't have all the right information, and you must nevertheless hobble forward to a very suboptimal resolution while pretty much everybody you meet hates your guts for being the dumbass know-it-all who came and fucked it all up.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
"Here are 3 factions with tradeoffs, or I can just backstab everyone, take all the power, and make all the right decisions as a basement dweller Philosopher King" is the stupidest shit in RPG design and must be eradicated.

since all factions were formed in a hellscape I would expect more than small tradeoffs. There's certainly a cognitive dissonance between the player rating every faction retadred and your PC who is supposed to be one of those mouth breathers. Are you suggesting enforced roleplaying in muh CRPG?

Desman

Novice
After reading the last few pages I'm getting this distinct impression from the codex.

View attachment 43400

Both Age of Decadence and Dungeon rats had character backstory. And even small quests explaining how you found yourself in current situation when storyline starts.

Here, in Colony Ship, your character wakes up one day in his room and goes adventuring, because why not.
Can be the Chosen One, as well.
I know its a bit a cliche but playing a young character who discovers the world is the most immersive experience. You chose to make your new friends, you discover the factions as the intrigue unveils, you are not bombarded from the start with information about random people that your character is supposed to know and if done properly there is no need for ankward lore dumps (hi pillars). This is one of the reasons why the plot of the first Fallout and BG games are so effective. Just leave the Vault / Candlekeep and you (as a player and a character) are free to wander and discover the World and make your own friends to survive.

Now Colony Ship is obviously a very different setting, almost clautrophobic but waking up from cryosleep could have been a more immersive "blank" start.

I like the game a lot but as a character with max INT/CHA there was a bit too much reading early on. Now after a couple of hours interracting with the characters and the different locations it is more fluid and natural, i guess i have caught up with the knowledge of my character.

Marte1980

Novice

The ship seems to be teetering on the brink of unlivable catastrophe one way or the other, no?

I would, however, support a ITS way of doing it, where you destroy the fragile balance and small upsides each faction had wrought because 'you know better', and turns out you certainly didn't have all the right information, and you must nevertheless hobble forward to a very suboptimal resolution while pretty much everybody you meet hates your guts for being the dumbass know-it-all who came and fucked it all up.
When did I say that my character should become some kind of know-it-all, philosopher king?! I was thinking more along the lines of a slave-owner!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished the game and find it meaningless. By the end nothing really changes. The robot ending was boring as shit,then i tried the church one and it was a bit better but not by much,at least they made a divine empire. Still i didn't get to blow up the robot jews. Couldn't stop the engine because i had very bad reputation with the muties. The lander one was very shit lol. In the end it is a boring game,pretty sure that i won't replay it in me life. The whole experience feels like a waste of time and the journey is meaningless.

Marte1980

Novice
The whole experience feels like a waste of time and the journey is meaningless.
That's how it feels like when you cheat.
Not really. Cheating in games is a problem only if you don't actually want to do it.
I've cheated in tens if not hundreds of video-games over the years and I've never regretted it. I've even modded some of my favorite games, always with an op version of the mc and I've always enjoyed my versions way more than the originals. And no, the difficulty of the game has no relation to that; at least not for me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not really. Cheating in games is a problem only if you don't actually want to do it.
I've cheated in tens if not hundreds of video-games over the years and I've never regretted it. I've even modded some of my favorite games, always with an op version of the mc and I've always enjoyed my versions way more than the originals. And no, the difficulty of the game has no relation to that; at least not for me.
You are talking to a person that thinks using cheat engine to speed up your game is bad because if you spend twice as much time in a time waster game,it will not be wasted time since you didn't cheat. Aka a fucking retard.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, at the Heart, the stealth option is only available if you have Jed? Is there no other way?

Specifically, you can't enter the Ismael Warehouse at all? You have to kill big ma or persuade her?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Wait, at the Heart, the stealth option is only available if you have Jed? Is there no other way?

Specifically, you can't enter the Ismael Warehouse at all? You have to kill big ma or persuade her?
Fuel cell isn't at Ishmael's, check the other side of the bridge near the Covenant church.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Why? He gives you a different quest for another warehouse. His quest is in the upper right corner,while the battery warehouse is in the upper left one.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Harthwain

Magister
A quick question: is it possible to play with a "shield and board" (a riot shield and any melee weapon)? I am curious, because so far I have seen people using mostly guns, so I wonder if there is a possibility for a more melee-oriented build that isn't there just for situations when you run out of ammunition/APs (assuming there even is ammo in the game to begin with, but considering the setting I would find it strange not to).

std::namespace

i dunno if evasion is good for the pc (it isnt... or is it...?!) but it sure works for npcs...
rqy2YjJ.png

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
A quick question: is it possible to play with a "shield and board" (a riot shield and any melee weapon)? I am curious, because so far I have seen people using mostly guns, so I wonder if there is a possibility for a more melee-oriented build that isn't there just for situations when you run out of ammunition/APs (assuming there even is ammo in the game to begin with, but considering the setting I would find it strange not to).
Melee-only frontliner is viable, you're just more reliant on equipment like smoke grenade/armor/distortion field than ranged characters are.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm doing the "You Shall Not Pass" quest, but I don't know where the reinforcements are. Need to find them and tell them to sod off.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I'm doing the "You Shall Not Pass" quest, but I don't know where the reinforcements are. Need to find them and tell them to sod off.
This is where Jonas sends you to the outer gate if you don't participate in the big fight, yes?
There should be a yellow-ish tiles on the ground you click on to wait for them to arrive, if you have a tech expect you can interact with the computers on the side to just seal the blast doors instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom