Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm doing the "You Shall Not Pass" quest, but I don't know where the reinforcements are. Need to find them and tell them to sod off.
This is where Jonas sends you to the outer gate if you don't participate in the big fight, yes?
There should be a yellow-ish tiles on the ground you click on to wait for them to arrive, if you have a tech expect you can interact with the computers on the side to just seal the blast doors instead.

Yeah that threw me for a loop to since it was the first time I had to interact with any kind of ground tile. IIRC the exit is also on the right, not on the left with the glaring text that says you can leave the area.

Tigranes

Arcane
Question on Hydroponics Yellow/Red access & Into the Wild lategame -

I recall finding a hydroponics module in Mission Control lv6 but I can't remember what I've done to it. Journal says Deep Dive is done, and Into the Wild never began; Carlos has no dialogue options; guards won't let anyone through the Creeper gate. Have I not found the proper trigger? Is it a case where you have one module and if you give it to Gideon/Grangers you're locked out?

edit: OK, you just need to progress in the MQ

Last edited:
Played this shitty little game

Loved it.
Played for 12hr non stop on the first run. Something that no Starslop or Bugger's Gate achieved.
Surprised that my first character pulled through to the very end, was expecting a similar ass beating as with AoD.

Cons:
-Doesn't have the amount of branching paths and ending variability AoD had, and I assume less replayability.
-Combat feels a bit off. I seem to get hit all the time even at high evasion?
-After bitching about AoD being to difficult, now I need to bitch about this being too easy

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
How the fuck do enemies still hit you so easy even though you flashbang, smokescreen them and you are behind cover with 60's evasion with a fucking field disruptor. It doesnt make any fucking sense, the enemies are clearly overtuned when it comes to their accuracy.

It makes the fights pathetic when enemies full bursts you like you wear nothing but speedos and a sign ''shoot me please''.

I

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
yeah my biggest problem with combat is how useless evade is, maybe with journalist difficulty it is more beneficial.

soon done with the "full solo" (robot + quest/story related npcs are fine), still struggling with couple of fights currently stuck vs
cobra's gang
. gadget disabling grenades are annoying

Tigranes

Arcane
God damnit, bub

41lt4Yc.png

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, ended Juggernaut Hammer run 1, straight on to Mastermind run 2.

If this was ITS' first game instead of AOD, I would have said it is a marvelous flawed gem full of its own weird takes on the genre, a la Troika. As it is, the primary disappointment was that AOD gave us the really flawed gem with much more edginess to its design for good or for ill, and CSG feels like a slightly more muted sidegrade. It's a great pity that AOD/DR revenue was not able to go further, because it feels like there's a lot of places in CSG where they knew what to do to improve the game and be more ambitious and just couldn't implement. But ITS remains a truly special outfit and we should be glad to have it, just like Underrail/Styg and a few others, who are trying to design real RPGs.

The ending sequence, like in other places, has some weird cracks in the shell where the puppet master didn't quite sew the puppet properly. You find the big great surprise (kind of?) reveal of the game, but nobody even comments on it directly, so much that the player has to stop and think "hang on, did I miss something and this is common knowledge?" A little bit of extra writing here and there would have done a lot to give necessary weight behind some of the big decisions that get taken. We all know VD is that guy who hates how movies take 30 seconds of humming and hawing to deliver one plot point, and I'm all for it, but at some point if you cut it down to 0.6 seconds it just doesn't feel real for the player.

Took the Church's lapdog route to save other endings for later - and it's mindblowing that first you find you're at the gates of Proxima all along, but the dialogues barely even notice, like it's a 10% sale off at the local bar. And then you go back to Abraham to tell him literally everything has changed about the political terrain, and it takes him one dialogue panel to get with it. It's one thing to teleport around without having to walk, it's another thing for every conversation to feel like it's a broke brother's telegraph from the West Coast: PROXIMA REACHED *stop* ALLY WITH MONKS NOW *stop* SEND MONEY FOR FOOD *stop*.

As someone who generally has no interest in scifi settings, I actually liked this one because it is almost totally concerned with how humans respond in all too human ways, and the nature of the situation they are in is ultimately a political and social one of their own making rather than made-up zoom zooms. Feels like bit of flesh around the bone all over could do a lot to elevate it.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Just finished the game. I will rate it an 8/10.

Pros:
+Characters and dialogue were great. Lots of lines were clever and made me chuckle, they also did a good job painting the type of cynicism that has fallen over the ship. Not once did I cringe at unbelievable NPCs. Everyone's motivations felt real and justified.
+Environments, despite being all in one shitty banged-up ship,managed to look and feel different. Some of the major quest areas were really neat and even used their art to foreshadow.
+Kept my interest the whole playthrough, pacing never really dragged a single time except for me getting lost in the habitat
+Felt like I could roleplay my character quite well. Decided to be a fascist, sided with the protectors and tried to keep order and reduce casualties as much as possible only resorting to violence if they were subhumans. Worked great

Cons:
-Felt a bit more railroaded (hyperlaned?) than AOD. Could have used some minor endings earlier in the story, even if just bad-ends. Let me fuck everything up, dammit.
-Combat felt kind of samey after a while and I dont really like shooter/cover CRPGs, dropped wasteland for that reason. Some different fight objectives might have been cool to spice things up (Survive X rounds, suppress and retreat to an area, etc). I didnt 100% the game and used a lot of diplomacy so maybe I just didn't find those unique fights.
-Inventory got pretty annoying to use at the end. No scroll bar and no way to sort by item value or other methods. Autosort only goes so far when every leg and arm guard looks the same
-The mutant segregation thing seemed really undercooked. I expected there to be a lot more mutant/human strife but it ended up being Jussie Smollet tier hyperbole about their racism levels

Might write more specifics later, but that's all I have off the top of my head. Would recommend to others :salute:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's both apply for aod and colony that they depict crumbling world full of cynics tired with shit without overly dramatic of edgy. This aspect is what made me enjoy vd's writing so much.

But colony ship still havent a character as memorable as militiades but that is probably fine.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
The ending sequence, like in other places, has some weird cracks in the shell where the puppet master didn't quite sew the puppet properly. You find the big great surprise (kind of?) reveal of the game, but nobody even comments on it directly, so much that the player has to stop and think "hang on, did I miss something and this is common knowledge?" A little bit of extra writing here and there would have done a lot to give necessary weight behind some of the big decisions that get taken. We all know VD is that guy who hates how movies take 30 seconds of humming and hawing to deliver one plot point, and I'm all for it, but at some point if you cut it down to 0.6 seconds it just doesn't feel real for the player.

Because last parts of the game were rushed. Thats why there so little content there.
Obviously they were trying to wrap things fast and stay on track of development.

Not like they were extra fast with development before. I remember waiting like 2 months for update, that added 3 fights and 4 dialogues in total. And people posted on forums with "wth, this is all you added"?
Remember mutant town (The Heart) and amount of content there, especially quests? Yep.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
i dunno if evasion is good for the pc (it isnt... or is it...?!) but it sure works for npcs...
rqy2YjJ.png
Not sure how you'd hit 92 evasion as pc. Even at 10 evasion and 12 dex that's only: 8 (base) + 16 (dex) + 54 (evasion) = 78. If you're at low hp you can get +30 from artful dodger, can't see if that might be the case here. So it's not impossible to have it some of the time, but it's certainly around the upper limit. There's also some lone wolf / implant upgrades where you can get more, but I don't think npcs have that.

Iirc a lot of the lategame robotic/animal enemies also have like +100% to graze, so I dont think you ever reliably dodge those.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
i dunno if evasion is good for the pc (it isnt... or is it...?!) but it sure works for npcs...
rqy2YjJ.png
Not sure how you'd hit 92 evasion as pc. Even at 10 evasion and 12 dex that's only: 8 (base) + 16 (dex) + 54 (evasion) = 78. If you're at low hp you can get +30 from artful dodger, can't see if that might be the case here. So it's not impossible to have it some of the time, but it's certainly around the upper limit. There's also some lone wolf / implant upgrades where you can get more, but I don't think npcs have that.

Iirc a lot of the lategame robotic/animal enemies also have like +100% to graze, so I dont think you ever reliably dodge those.

Possible to hit 111 evasion if you go into extreme mix-maxing (only viable for Lone Wolf, of cause).

https://steamcommunity.com/app/648410/discussions/0/3954784199565571394/

But not sure why you would go into crazy lenghts, min-max whole game like crazy, be confined for just 1 build, and basically make self-imposed challenge. And it works still worse then i-win tactic known by "don sturdiest armor", which is easy to do and works perfect everywhere and for everyone.

p.s. Ofc, devs will ignore any feedback we post here, because "lol you are racist".

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And it works still worse then i-win tactic known by "don sturdiest armor", which is easy to do and works perfect everywhere and for everyone.
It's not like just donning heaviest armor is instant win. You'll still take damage. And enemies will target your feet/arms and give you serious penalties.

And it's not surprising if high evasion+sturdy armor is the strongest defence overall.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Still feel like it's better than AoD as it doesn't suffer from the same problems as heavily (but it does still have them in some places), and I actually enjoy the setting a lot. Sci-fi feels fresh for an RPG, most RPGs of this style are either fantasy or post-apoc, spaceship is a fresh new setting (ironically this same year we also got Space Wreck, hope this is the sign of a new trend).

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Are you asking as somebody who hasn't played AoD or Dungeon Rats?

I played only AoD. From what I heard here, I definitely have to try the Dungeon Rats too!

I can't just erase my AoD memories, so hard to tell.

Nor are you asked to. I refer to the difference between a biased and unbiased approach. Dragging the somewhere-else-used-to-bes and here-also-may-have-beens in one's judgment seldomly results in anything but a degree of bitterness, whereas seeing new things with fresh eyes opens the path for the very opposite.

In other words, one robs themselves by judging games bad for lacking something that other games have. Only if the parts they consist of are messy, buggy, cumbersome, appaling in writing, coming as plagiaristic, etc. should generally mean a no-no.

As I said, I like it and plan to replay it eventually, which is something I can't say about many other RPGs. Finishing Colony Ship made me start a new AoD campaign though, so take that how you will.
Nice!

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Are you asking as somebody who hasn't played AoD or Dungeon Rats?

I played only AoD. From what I heard here, I definitely have to try the Dungeon Rats too!

I can't just erase my AoD memories, so hard to tell.

Nor are you asked to. I refer to the difference between a biased and unbiased approach. Dragging the somewhere-else-used-to-bes and here-also-may-have-beens in one's judgment seldomly results in anything but a degree of bitterness, whereas seeing new things with fresh eyes opens the path for the very opposite.

In other words, one robs themselves by judging games bad for lacking something that other games have. Only if the parts they consist of are messy, buggy, cumbersome, appaling in writing, coming as plagiaristic, etc. should generally mean a no-no.

As I said, I like it and plan to replay it eventually, which is something I can't say about many other RPGs. Finishing Colony Ship made me start a new AoD campaign though, so take that how you will.
Nice!

If you did not play Dungeon Rats, you really want to play it before Colony Ship.

Combat quality, balance, tactics, builds, resource management everything combat related is far better than in this game.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
And it works still worse then i-win tactic known by "don sturdiest armor", which is easy to do and works perfect everywhere and for everyone.
It's not like just donning heaviest armor is instant win. You'll still take damage. And enemies will target your feet/arms and give you serious penalties.

And it's not surprising if high evasion+sturdy armor is the strongest defence overall.

You could finish Dungeon rats solo, wearing no armor. Having high Dodge/Evade.
You could finish Dungeon rats solo, having 0 evasion. Having high Armor/Block.
You could finish Dungeon rats solo, having 4 Dex or 4 Str/Per.

Here, you just want to sturdy armor (adding some evasion is ok, but not really needed).
And i do not think i will see 4 Dex solo builds.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Here, you just want to sturdy armor (adding some evasion is ok, but not really needed).
If you say so. I never managed to make it for in AoD/DR with block based builds.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

If you say so. I never managed to make it for in AoD/DR with block based builds.

I had similar build for solo run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-hdqK6yWI8

10 Str, 10 Con, 10 Int. 4 Dex, 4 Per, 2 Cha.

4 Dex/4 Per solo run for Colony Ship, any takers?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It makes the fights pathetic when enemies full bursts you like you wear nothing but speedos and a sign ''shoot me please''.
:lol:

You should love the last fight when three cyborg cucks jump you and kill half your group in the first round because of initiative. Unless you join the monks.

Marte1980

Novice
The whole experience feels like a waste of time and the journey is meaningless.
That's how it feels like when you cheat.
Not really. Cheating in games is a problem only if you don't actually want to do it.
I've cheated in tens if not hundreds of video-games over the years and I've never regretted it. I've even modded some of my favorite games, always with an op version of the mc and I've always enjoyed my versions way more than the originals. And no, the difficulty of the game has no relation to that; at least not for me.
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.
First of all, if I "cheated myself" and I liked the end result, I don't see the problem with it. Second, you seem to imply that you can force on other people your measure of what kind of value someone can extract from his time investment in video-games. You talk about gaining nothing. Talk for yourself. I value my enjoyment of the time spent playing those games in whatever ways I like. I couldn't care less about what you think I should or should not value and did or did not gain while playing games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
The whole experience feels like a waste of time and the journey is meaningless.
That's how it feels like when you cheat.
Not really. Cheating in games is a problem only if you don't actually want to do it.
I've cheated in tens if not hundreds of video-games over the years and I've never regretted it. I've even modded some of my favorite games, always with an op version of the mc and I've always enjoyed my versions way more than the originals. And no, the difficulty of the game has no relation to that; at least not for me.
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.
First of all, if I "cheated myself" and I liked the end result, I don't see the problem with it. Second, you seem to imply that you can force on other people your measure of what kind of value someone can extract from his time investment in video-games. You talk about gaining nothing. Talk for yourself. I value my enjoyment of the time spent playing those games in whatever ways I like. I couldn't care less about what you think I should or should not value and did or did not gain while playing games.

jackofshadows

Magister
Eli just said to me "thank you" for the robot quest. Nice.
What did you expect, a discount? You grabbed all the loot. Or do you mean people being polite is so rare that it stands out?
Well, something. Like a token for example (have a feeling that I've missed one, being there the machine for it nearby). The loot aside from the power cell is nothing too special for such a fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom