Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

e8ycbxns5c061.jpg

:troll:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Deus Ex and Shock 2 had garbage gunplay too, and these games are undisputable classics.

I could definitely acknowledge that the only reason that is the case for both is due to the wait to shoot mechanic both games have. For Deus Ex its the aiming reticle though the reason and justification for it there is to prevent the player being good at everything and thus "your playstyle matters" but its made redundant by the end of the game and the laser pointer is so broken that you can play it pure FPS if you really want to see how it plays as a pure FPS (it plays good actually). System Shock 2 suffers more from the fact that there's a delay on shots and refire is slower than you'd expect so it makes everything feel rigid you have to think about where you're pointing first its a game that really punishes run-and-gun. To both games benefit though they nail resource management perfectly and its shown in the gunplay because they don't want you in a position where you are overly confident. Warren Spector stated that constant need for tension for Deus Ex. In System Shock 2 its no doubt what the focus was too on that pure tension.

If you make the player too confident then you don't get tension. I will admit though playing Deus Ex with the laser pointer made me realise how redundant those accuracy skills are and the game probably would be better for it had it not had them and instead gave you something tangible to use like the Rifle skill does. To me it felt under developed which is probably why people disliked its gunplay but it gets better in the late game and its good for that sense of progression. Could the gunplay be done better in Deus Ex and SS2 probably but I'm trying to figure out how you'd do that. One idea I've had is use the laser pointer approach so that all the guns perform as you'd expect but maybe make the gun progression skills tied to how many mods you could apply to each gun that way the skills apply more to tuning so you can have that "Best Gun" I mean I lean more towards Mods when in comparison to Skills. System Shock 2's gated items approach I felt was wrong as it doesn't provide much incentive to mix it up you min-max to what ever gives the best weapons and as such some of the skills are undercooked (Exotic for example).

It will be interesting to see if Cyberpunk has tension. They did pretty well on that front with Witcher 3. I will say though the melee in CP2020 looks dreadful and I wish they had just used a system similar to Deus Ex.

ChildInTime

Learned
They weren't lying when they said this will be a dark game.

I feel like the tone significantly changed in these last trailers compared to before, yeah it is still bright and colourful, but the story, the characters, originial soundtrack - everything points to Night City and world in general being a fucked up place on par with Mega-City One from Dredd.

Wesp5

Arcane
In System Shock 2 its no doubt what the focus was too on that pure tension.

System Shock clearly overdid it with breakable guns and rare ammo which made the pure tension become pure tedium! Like how much fun is it to kill endless respawning enemies with a wrench? Is this why people play an immersive sim? I guess not!

I will admit though playing Deus Ex with the laser pointer made me realise how redundant those accuracy skills are and the game probably would be better for it had it not had them and instead gave you something tangible to use like the Rifle skill does.

I can't remember the laser pointer, but was the base system like in Bloodlines with the target cross and thus the place the bullet would hit spread the less firearms stat you have? I find this a good compromise, your skills do matter but not absolutely.

System Shock 2's gated items approach I felt was wrong as it doesn't provide much incentive to mix it up you min-max to what ever gives the best weapons and as such some of the skills are undercooked (Exotic for example).

I completely agree with that, I mean how difficult can it be to pull a trigger? Also I didn't like that in Deus Ex headshot suddenly did lethal damage only after a certain stat, not based on actually hitting the head. Which the above idea could have fixed.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
With Deus Ex people forget about it since nobody ever plays full rambo, due to the actual gunplay being 100% avoidable thanks to all the much more fun stealth tools, and on the highest difficulty level direct combat is really undesirable due to the lethality. The horrible gunplay is basically punishment for not playing the game right.

I kind of doubt this will be the case with Cyberpunk

Agree

Terenty

Liturgist
From a russian preview:

No reputation system

Street cred only affects what equipment you can buy and what quests can get

Equipment is level gated. The guy had a level 20 rifle and couldn't use it

A lot of scripted sequences where someone is chasing you on a car or some such where you are stripped of agency

You never run out of bullets

Rpg mechanics are bog standard

To prevent players from breaking the game like, for example, killing a quest npc, developers sometimes put limits to where you can go on your vehicle etc

Overall the preview was positive, i highlighted the stuff that concerns the rpg part

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I can't remember the laser pointer, but was the base system like in Bloodlines with the target cross and thus the place the bullet would hit spread the less firearms stat you have? I find this a good compromise, your skills do matter but not absolutely.
similar but unlike Bloodlines its tied to Movement. Bloodlines you can still run and gun no problem.

Also my earlier comment about Deus Ex 1 being a hit probably annoyed people I think because it won GOTY and you all think I'm crazy for saying its not a hit. Why I said it was because Eidos didn't consider it a hit because it was a very very expensive development that barely made its money back. This is why the team was starved of funding for Invisible War because by that point Eidos didn't trust them anymore and were already looking to shut the studio. They did Invisible War out of an obligation to make a sequel. I was surprised they even considered a 3rd game at Ion Strom but I think that was more the Team wanting to do it rather than Eidos letting them do it. Similar things happened with Anachronox's development. No doubt this is the same likely outcome at Eidos Montreal now as the team love Deus Ex but Square unlikely has a taste for it now cause of how expensive they are to make.

Harthwain

Magister
I completely agree with that, I mean how difficult can it be to pull a trigger?
Pulling the trigger is easy. Keeping a weapon stable while pulling the trigger is another matter entirely. There is also the matter of HOLDING a weapon properly (a revolver, for example). Or... loading a weapon:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom