Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Slaver1

Savant
I'm watching the second stream right now.

Everybody is hostile in this game it seems. The guy is just exploring the desert, there's absolutely nothing of worth there expect some mobs with skulls here and there with whom you can't interact in any other way than shoot and be killed of course.

He found a couple of cadavers lying around with over leveled equipment and met a chick nearby some car that only repeated some generic lines.

Even in Rdr 2 you could interact with people, either antagonize or greet, and could actually talk to bandits too.

I guess it's too much to ask from a hardcore rpg in 2020
I'm thinking RDR2 is going to spoil CP2077 for me. It felt like Rockstar made that game with no compromises to their potential audience while CP2077 devs have been hyper-attentive to what the consoomers expect.
RDR2 is a marvel from a technical standpoint, and CP is very far from it in this regards. However, the underlaying mechanics of RDR2 are laughable, so CP will probably have the upper hand there.
By mechanics you mean all the downtime just riding a horse to a popamole shoot-out and that's all there is? Maybe true but the characterization brings everything together so nicely that I don't mind the repetitive gameplay loops. If CP2077 has a million things to do but can't match the character writing of RDR2 I'd say CDPR got their priorities wrong, especially with all the Deux Ex talk.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The better argument against Disco being an RPG is that there is no real fail state, only degrees of being successful, or in story terms - degrees of being a failed human being and a failed cop.
I'm not sure I follow? There are gameovers and you can literally die.
But those are again story branches, not systemic, and they couldn't be. The only real system Disco has is the dialogue checks system. I really love Disco Elysium, I'm not badmouthing it but it's a slice of an RPG, where many compromises were made. Although I liked the game a lot I would have preferred the combat encounters to have used some sort of a combat system.

Are you suggesting time limits for quests?
:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

Why yes, 2020, I am. That's because consolized, casual, popamole-style "do it whenever you feel like it" quests are completely inappropriate to the setting and source material—with which you are clearly not familiar, else we wouldn't be having this conversation.

When a rich man needs a deniable operative or strike team to extricate his spoiled brat of a daughter from the underground BDSM club where she's been using his credit card for the past week, for example, he's not going to want to wait while you tootle around picking flowers and eating hot dogs until you feel like doing the mission.

It's like you didn't even stop for five seconds to think this through. Your only thought is how frustrating it would be if a game actually challenged you by imposing sensible restrictions on your button-pressing.
To GTA's credit, this 1997 (same year as Fallout) game had timed missions. It was actually full of them and they were getting progressively more strict as you progressed through the cities.

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
The better argument against Disco being an RPG is that there is no real fail state, only degrees of being successful, or in story terms - degrees of being a failed human being and a failed cop.
But those are again story branches, not systemic, and they couldn't be.

I don't understand the distinction you trying to make and why is it important.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, is everything about this shit, or does it seem to have any redeeming qualities from what you guys have seen?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But those are again story branches, not systemic, and they couldn't be.

I don't understand the distinction you trying to make and why is it important.
I said that's a better argument for it not being an RPG, but it's not an argument that holds. There are failed states including death in adventure games as well. So fail states are not proof of a game being an RPG.

What I meant was that the fail states and "literally dying" doesn't happen as a result of your HP reaching zero *in combat*, but as a story/conversation branch. Oh yes, you can make a character with one or two HP and then intentionally not use HP-raising resources.

Terenty

Liturgist
The conspiracy is starting to unravel in front of our eyes.

Now it's crystal clear why the game is full of E celebs and other retards, CDpr knew they had a stinker on their hands and they had to rig the game in their favour somehow come review period.

Clever fuckers

purupuru

Learned
What I meant was that the fail states and "literally dying" doesn't happen as a result of your HP reaching zero, but as a story branch.
What are you talking about? When your hp reach 0 you die of heart attack, when you morale reach 0 you quit the job. My first character was an int build with 2hp/2mp and he died to all kinds of things.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Terenty They are actually not sending out review codes to many sites. There won't be many day one reviews, I suspect. That's also a way to rig the game, though. That is, if they manage to polish up some glaring week one flaws/bugs/whatever you want to call it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
What I meant was that the fail states and "literally dying" doesn't happen as a result of your HP reaching zero, but as a story branch.
What are you talking about? When your hp reach 0 you die of heart attack, when you morale reach 0 you quit the job. My first character was an int build with 2hp/2mp and he died to all kinds of things.
Great then, you have proven me wrong and Disco Elysium is a proper RPG although it doesn't have a discrete combat system. So much the better IMO.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
^They are actually not sending out review codes to many sites. There won't be many day one reviews, I suspect. That's also a way to rig the game, though. That is, if they manage to polish up some glaring week one flaws/bugs/whatever you want to call it.
Cdpr at launch day.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching the second stream right now.

Everybody is hostile in this game it seems. The guy is just exploring the desert, there's absolutely nothing of worth there expect some mobs with skulls here and there with whom you can't interact in any other way than shoot and be killed of course.

He found a couple of cadavers lying around with over leveled equipment and met a chick nearby some car that only repeated some generic lines.

Even in Rdr 2 you could interact with people, either antagonize or greet, and could actually talk to bandits too.

I guess it's too much to ask from a hardcore rpg in 2020
Tell me one thing - do NPCs still walk blindly and bump into the PC if he stands still on the street? This annoyed me to no end in Witcher 3, and in GTA V they had managed to solve it somehow, NPCs would navigate around the PC. If it's still like that in CP77 I will lol hard.

Some do, some don't.

The Jester

Cipher
Except STALKER is labor of love despite all shit encoded in the engine. Not desire to move stonks price a little.
Stalker was made by a team largely inexperienced in FPS games, was overly ambitious and had budget times and times less than CP77 has. And still, it is a masterpiece. And what CP77 will be? A brightly packaged turd with Keany mug stamped all over the place.
Speaking of Stalker
ivanov-rip.jpg

Rest in peace

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
IMO, if you do FPS RPG, try to draw from reality:

- At point blank ranges (as in, literal gun barrel against the enemy's head), a character with shitty Guns skill is as lethal as a character with a high Guns skill.
- At longer ranges, make a high Guns skill affect stuff such as
  • Reduced spread.
  • Optionally (controversial): lock-on, much like you see in console games vs PC games.
Then you have the usual stuff: have skills affect reload speed and chance to successfully reload, recoil animations...
But I think this will never be done effectively because you are effectively trying to cater to two (or three) markets at a time: the FPS crazed people who want their skills to show through, the hardcore RPG crowd that wants skills to make the difference (over their twitch skills), and those who want a balance of both (which is THE HARDEST thing to do).

When you go full hardcore RPG, "Action" combat in a game like New Vegas or CP2077 is just an excuse to present things in first person, which is why you never see this happen.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Terenty They are actually not sending out review codes to many sites. There won't be many day one reviews, I suspect. That's also a way to rig the game, though. That is, if they manage to polish up some glaring week one flaws/bugs/whatever you want to call it.
Source?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom