Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No wonder everybody hates him.

KVVRR

Learned
Eh I kinda like it honestly. It makes his usual look even more brutal.

CHEMS

Scholar
5SHtVd5.png

nJH1LFw.png

Why is lepper a nigger?
Bro its called leprosy

Ghost Of Iron

Literate
Introducing Kingdoms - a FREE stand alone campaign game mode coming to Darkest Dungeon II later this year.

This new game mode challenges you to protect and nurture your Kingdom by defending safe havens and purging dangerous environments of insidious threats. Upgrade Inns to bolster defenses, embark on unique quest lines, and fight back against 3 new monster factions - The Coven, Beastmen and Crimson Courtiers.

At least they've realized their error, one of the main problems with DD2 compared to DD1 is the fact you could not upgrade your roster and base over time. Instead of expanding on and improving that, which is what everyone was expecting, they removed it entirely. Now they're haphazardly putting some form of it back into the game, which is good, but I still think it may be too little, too late. DD2 needs massive improvements in order to be worth the time, it might get there eventually, but as of now it's still not really worth playing.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Introducing Kingdoms - a FREE stand alone campaign game mode coming to Darkest Dungeon II later this year.

This new game mode challenges you to protect and nurture your Kingdom by defending safe havens and purging dangerous environments of insidious threats. Upgrade Inns to bolster defenses, embark on unique quest lines, and fight back against 3 new monster factions - The Coven, Beastmen and Crimson Courtiers.

At least they've realized their error, one of the main problems with DD2 compared to DD1 is the fact you could not upgrade your roster and base over time. Instead of expanding on and improving that, which is what everyone was expecting, they removed it entirely. Now they're haphazardly putting some form of it back into the game, which is good, but I still think it may be too little, too late. DD2 needs massive improvements in order to be worth the time, it might get there eventually, but as of now it's still not really worth playing.

Yea good to see they are admitting they fucked the dog on this one, trying to shoehorn the original game mode back into this pile of trash is better than nothing I guess?

I am still shocked by how much I played DD1 compared to 2, pretty sure its the worst sequel to a game I have ever seen in my gaming history. I have genuinely tried to force myself to play it a few times, and I just can't do it, its as if they purposefully designed it to be abhorrent to people who enjoyed DD1.

Ghost Of Iron

Literate
Yes, I genuinely don't understand how they failed to simply iterate on what DD did and instead went with this bizarre roguelike DD mixture that fails on both fronts. DD2 is neither engaging as a roguelike, since the runs take too long and there's too little variety in how you can approach a given run, and it fails as a DD game since they stripped out all the roster management, base building, and team building you could do in the first one. It felt really good in the first DD to finally build up a true team of killers, and you simply cannot replicate that in DD2. And the bandaids they put in to try and fix the problem simply aren't enough, spending candles of hope to get some minor bonus on a character (that you lose anyway if they ever die or are present on a failed run) is not the same as building them from the ground up level by level, trinket piece by trinket piece.

It felt really good in DD1 to get a nice, powerful trinket, when I get something like that in DD2, I barely care, since it's going to be gone and thrown back into the RNG pool as soon I'm done with the current run. You get no satisfaction out of building up anything in DD2, and to add insult to injury, the Candles Of Hope system, rather than feeling rewarding or fun, just feels spiteful and annoying. Grinding out candles just to access additional options (which in many cases aren't even useful, Wanderer Leper for example is still superior to all his other paths) is just aggravating, and it even pushes you into running the same team compositions over and over until you fully unlock all their build options and class trinkets, only to force you to do it all over again with the next set of classes you want to use. And by the time you're done with all of this, you're sick of and hate the game. Truly brilliant design.

It's just such a shame the game ended up like this, because the combat does feel better than DD1, (well, aside from the terrible relationship system which is a massive downgrade from the virtue/affliction system in DD1), and the characters animate quite beautifully, but it just doesn't matter because the core of the game is simply not fun to play.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yes, I genuinely don't understand how they failed to simply iterate on what DD did and instead went with this bizarre roguelike DD mixture that fails on both fronts.

Its funny as this is a common occurrence, where someone makes something amazing and then the next thing they do makes you question if they actually had any idea what they were doing the first time around or it was a freak accident that they created something of quality.

I agree with your summary of the problems, and for me DD2 almost goes so far that I would think they purposefully changed everything to spite people, or they were so afraid of getting called out for making the same game twice? Its not as if DD1 was anything revolutionary in the first place, its a pretty generic game if you remove the art/aesthetics/sound design etc.

And you are correct that character progression is fundamentally flawed and thats probably the main reason I have no motivation to play it, dunno if the new game mode will fix that.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
tfw I'm based as fuck and only bought dd on sale for 3 dollars

gonna take more of a sale to get me to buy dd2

hehehehe

also I can't find the dd 1 thread

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I like roguelites so this should appeal to me, but I'm not spending 30 bucks when I could just replay Rogue Lords instead. Will reconsider when it's 75% off or more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom