Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Kojima used to have editors but they all commit suicide eventually.
He didn't. MGS1-3 were mostly his solo works, with Tomokazu Fukushima working on optional codec calls. He only started having writing collaborators, in the modern sense of the word, from MGS4 onwards, when he brought on Shuyo Murata, among others.

Murata is credited as far back as MGS2, so I'm not sure how true that is. He's definitely credited as a writer for MGS3.

Sentinel

Arcane
Kojima used to have editors but they all commit suicide eventually.
He didn't. MGS1-3 were mostly his solo works, with Tomokazu Fukushima working on optional codec calls. He only started having writing collaborators, in the modern sense of the word, from MGS4 onwards, when he brought on Shuyo Murata, among others.

Murata is credited as far back as MGS2, so I'm not sure how true that is. He's definitely credited as a writer for MGS3.
Murata wrote the shocking conspiracy behind shadow moses for MGS2 and some retarded mini game in mgs3 that can happen when snake is captured in the prison. He had no major contributions to either game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
those who died failing to edit His works are undeserving of credit
Died due to overdose of retardation.

A friend lent me his PS3 back in the day because I "had to play MGS4" since I love stealth games. The story and pacing were so fucking horrible I couldn't finish it. I remember the last thing I did was some bike chase shooter segment around a city. I quit during that and never picked it up again.

That friend does this type of thing with console games relatively often, and usually he's got good instincts, but something about MGS just digs into peoples brains and makes them think gameplay and pacing suddenly don't matter anymore, and it's bullshit.

Ash

Arcane
but something about MGS just digs into peoples brains and makes them think gameplay and pacing suddenly don't matter anymore, and it's bullshit.

lol says King Mole Pop over here.

MGS (at least 1-3, I quit 4 too because it was shit) gameplay while nothing to particularly rave about, has way better gameplay than the majority of games you play, e.g Bioshock and Dishonored, or all the latest AAA garbage like, say Shadow of Mordor.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

MGS (at least 1-3, I quit 4 too because it was shit) gameplay while nothing to particularly rave about, has way better gameplay than the majority of games you play, e.g Bioshock and Dishonored, or all the latest AAA garbage like, say Shadow of Mordor.

I'm unable to process a PC gamer preferring MGS to Dishonored, or thinking MGS is some kind of sophisticated anti-popamole, but refugees from the parallel world need love too I guess.

Terenty

Liturgist

I'm unable to process a PC gamer preferring MGS to Dishonored, or thinking MGS is some kind of sophisticated anti-popamole, but refugees from the parallel world need love too I guess.
Mgs games are on another level compared to your usual popamole trash. You would understand if you'd played them.

Death Stranding being completely unlike any other AAA output kinda gives you a hint what kind of game designer Kojima is

mk0

Learned
A friend lent me his PS3 back in the day because I "had to play MGS4" since I love stealth games. The story and pacing were so fucking horrible I couldn't finish it. I remember the last thing I did was some bike chase shooter segment around a city. I quit during that and never picked it up again.
What an absolute troll. This is like introducing someone to Deus Ex with Invisible War, they'll never touch the original after that experience. :lol:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
What an absolute troll. This is like introducing someone to Deus Ex with Invisible War, they'll never touch the original after that experience. :lol:
Eh, I completed IW before I completed the original and it worked out pretty well. If anything, I didn't have any expectations and thus enjoyed IW for what it is and ended up playing a superior game a little bit later.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How can you debate any merits if you havent played the games?

MGS4 is the only one I sat down by myself and tried to play through in total, but I definitely saw and played pieces of others. While the console focused gameplay style bugs me, what really made me know they're not for me is the endless melodrama, anime inspiration and games-as-movies story focus. I don't have to play them for dozens of hours to know that's not my thing.

Removing Codex snark hat though, I'm glad you enjoy them so much. When I say there's no point debating you, it's because what's gonna happen? One of us changes tastes all of a sudden? Of course not. I have my Thief, Splinter Cell, Dishonored, etc... I'm fine.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How can you debate any merits if you havent played the games?

MGS4 is the only one I sat down by myself and tried to play through in total, but I definitely saw and played pieces of others. While the console focused gameplay style bugs me, what really made me know they're not for me is the endless melodrama, anime inspiration and games-as-movies story focus. I don't have to play them for dozens of hours to know that's not my thing.

Removing Codex snark hat though, I'm glad you enjoy them so much. When I say there's no point debating you, it's because what's gonna happen? One of us changes tastes all of a sudden? Of course not. I have my Thief, Splinter Cell, Dishonored, etc... I'm fine.
MGS4 is fanservice. If you don't have a connection to the first three game, it might fall flat on you. But for fans of the series it can be pure joy. You reach the final bossfight, and suddenly you realize it has three stages and those represent the bossfights in all previous 3 games. The three stages have the music themes from the previous games, and the gameplay switches so they play like the previous games. No designer in his right mind would do like that because only players who also played the first three games and remember it knows what's going on. No designer, only Kojima. At that point, you will cry like a little baby, and hail Kojima as the one true God designer of our time. He plays your heartstrings, manipulates you and we thank him for that.

Origin

Augur
Couldn't wait for torrent so I bought this game on Steam. 5 hours in, I'm still not sure what to think of the gameplay so I will wait with opinion on this part.

However, I can't understand why graphics is praised so much. I run the game on max settings and I admit it runs pretty well, but I don't get what so special about the graphics. It runs well because maps are devoid of npcs, textures are nothing special and you're basically walking through a giant mostly static sandbox with stuff that activates whenever you aproach some point. AA doesn't work well too.

Is it just me or what? It's funny because whole internet is universally impressed with the graphics part, but I just don't see it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom