Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It looks nice.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Its been like 4 years and I still have no idea what this game is about.
bh4yxFu.png

Jinn

Arcane
Do you never krump gits in your games? Very well, doubtless you have engaged in some manner of pugilism or similar forms of combat in this game in order to facilitate resolution of conflicts? How did that go?

Oh yeah, there is combat, and it is definitely required in certain parts of the game. It's not the focus of the game, nor is it the greatest part of it, but it's absolutely functional and enjoyable when it occurs. But the terrain that you're moving over is almost always a "combat encounter" in and of itself. That's the thing about the game. It's very much so a cumulative gameplay experience.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I want this game to get the Kojima prequel treatment. The next game is set during the 1960's and Sam Porter's ancestor has to deliver a package across the Russian wasteland to avert nuclear holocaust. Along the way you fight a bunch of delivery guys that represent the four human emotions: fear, hatred, sorrow, and being covered in bees.

Gerrard

Arcane
lol says King Mole Pop over here.

MGS (at least 1-3, I quit 4 too because it was shit) gameplay while nothing to particularly rave about, has way better gameplay than the majority of games you play, e.g Bioshock and Dishonored, or all the latest AAA garbage like, say Shadow of Mordor.

I'm unable to process a PC gamer preferring MGS to Dishonored, or thinking MGS is some kind of sophisticated anti-popamole, but refugees from the parallel world need love too I guess.
Mgs games are on another level compared to your usual popamole trash. You would understand if you'd played them.

Death Stranding being completely unlike any other AAA output kinda gives you a hint what kind of game designer Kojima is
Him thinking anything he made is original because he doesn't actually play games and putting his name on 15 positions in the credits gives me a much better hint into what kind of a designer he is.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Is it better to play Death Stranding online or offline? It seems to me that the point of the game is to travel through the landscape with a dread to be lost and alone, as a pioneer tracking new roads between isolated cities and communities. The online component of the gameplay seems just distracting and off-topic.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
If you literally just pressed "w" you would never finish the game because your character will keep breaking all the stuff he is meant to deliver...

P-People play this with a keyboard?

I am playing online and I kind of hate the online gimmick, but I guess I am not a Zoomer and don't care about likes.

I don't think likes are really meant to be so literally akin to facebook crap. They're a weird vehicle for Kojima's politics, if anything.

I've stalled because I've been busy over the past week or two (about to head to Mountain Knot City), but damn if this game isn't one of the most therapeutic experiences I've found in gamese in a while. Also, I can never get over how often I've felt like I've seen everything this game has to offer, and then it throws me five new toys and says Have Fun.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
those who died failing to edit His works are undeserving of credit
Died due to overdose of retardation.

A friend lent me his PS3 back in the day because I "had to play MGS4" since I love stealth games. The story and pacing were so fucking horrible I couldn't finish it. I remember the last thing I did was some bike chase shooter segment around a city. I quit during that and never picked it up again.

That friend does this type of thing with console games relatively often, and usually he's got good instincts, but something about MGS just digs into peoples brains and makes them think gameplay and pacing suddenly don't matter anymore, and it's bullshit.
I am surprised that almost no one cites MGSV when discussing about MGS and Kojimbo games. Its gameplay is a masterpiece. I played it recentely and it was a huge surprise. It is one of the best exemplification of full emergent system-based non-scripted gameplay with minimum (almost zero) cut-scenes. It is hilarious that Kojimuh's MGS series is instead always cited when discussing modern trend of games for all cut-scenes and no significant gameplay, when MGSV is effectively one of the best examples of exactly the opposite.
I think that also DS has been created with the same system-based emergent gameplay philosophy of MGSV, although to a lesser extent.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I don't think likes are really meant to be so literally akin to facebook crap. They're a weird vehicle for Kojima's politics, if anything.
Whatever it is, it is distracting and kills the atmosphere. Also it becomes effectively a toxic facebook crap since the "likes" effectively influence the game and hence players are encouraged to abuse this shit. The worst part however is that if you started a game online, you cannot switch to offline anymore, you need to start a new game to do that (if I have not missed something).

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Whatever it is, it is distracting and kills the atmosphere. Also it becomes effectively a toxic facebook crap since the "likes" effectively influence the game and hence players are encouraged to abuse this shit. The worst part however is that if you started a game online, you cannot switch to offline anymore, you need to start a new game to do that (if I have not missed something).

Toxic? Abuseable? Are we playing the same game?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Toxic? Abuseable? Are we playing the same game?
Ok, maybe "toxic" is too strong and not an apt term, but the clustering of signs and structures at the entrance of the safe zones, or at specific gateways, where you need to pass, in order to oblige you to interact with them and hence harvest the "likes" is a kind of "toxic".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom