Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I'm just spittin facts, don't shoot the messenger. People are bitching about aesthetics in a remake of a game that was never aesthetically pleasing. I thought Demon's Souls was mindblowing back in the day. It was one of the coolest things I ever experienced, and never once in all that did I say "I like the way this game looks". Now it looks good and people are bitching about the way it looks. Retardred.
Original DS looks like typical FromShitware, this just looks like banalshitboring

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
People are bitching about aesthetics in a remake of a game that was never aesthetically pleasing.
thbf23.png
40nedk.png
0i4tix.png
67vjky.png
8b4ru3.png

lo1lhm.gif

Demon's Souls might have the worst graphics in a purely technical sense but compensates with the best aesthetics in the Souls games.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
FromSoftware may be graphically inept, but not artistically. Even though the former often ruins the latter (much moreso in Dark Souls than Demon's Souls).

Meanwhile, this next-gen eye-sore has graphics with no artism. Just the typical hypercluttered, hyperprocessed trash. DeS was more realistic despite being made out of plastic.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
People who prefer the remake tend to equate ornate design with good design. This is how they brush off arguments about the original's superior aesthetics without concern.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The remake isn't a 1:1 recreation. There have already been examples made, but one gameplay example that I will give, is that you have a longer parry window on certain enemies.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The remake isn't a 1:1 recreation. There have already been examples made, but one gameplay example that I will give, is that you have a longer parry window on certain enemies.
Out of interest, which ones?
I have barely played the Remake, only 1-1. 1-2, and I think I might have played a bit of 4-1. Played it at a mates, because I do not own it, and I don't think that I will get it. In 1-1, and 1-2, I felt like most enemies that you can parry had bigger parry window. On the other hand, I am reading that some people feel the opposite, that the window is smaller in remake. In 4-1, skellies were also much easier than in the original. In OG DeS, those skellies gave me nightmares, but in Remake, the seem easier.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Probably has something to do with transitioning from 30 FPS (25 really) to 60/120/240/whatever the remake uses.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Everyone feels like the game got easier, but FROM's ultimate curse is that we were the player character all along, we leveled up, and now our Soul Level is too high to enjoy things. :negative:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In 4-1, skellies were also much easier than in the original. In OG DeS, those skellies gave me nightmares, but in Remake, the seem easier.
Back in the day, that was one of the first omgwtf moments I had had in years while gaming. Things had gotten pretty easy in most games and then this had skeleton rape right out of the gate. 10/10 would get skele-raped again.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have barely played the Remake, only 1-1. 1-2, and I think I might have played a bit of 4-1. Played it at a mates, because I do not own it, and I don't think that I will get it. In 1-1, and 1-2, I felt like most enemies that you can parry had bigger parry window. On the other hand, I am reading that some people feel the opposite, that the window is smaller in remake. In 4-1, skellies were also much easier than in the original. In OG DeS, those skellies gave me nightmares, but in Remake, the seem easier.
Pretty much everything seems easier. I think that has more to do with each spiritual successor getting more and more difficult, and not so much changes in the remake. Most of the bosses are a total cakewalk. There were only the 3 usual suspects that required a bit of effort.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
To be fair you managed to dodge a grand total of about 6 attacks from Maneaters

somerandomdude

Learned
In the original game, you can nuke both man eaters in one cast of firestorm, even with a level 1 royal if you used the right equipment. it was the easiest game in the series to beat at SL1, and you didn't even feel gimped at all. I don't know if they nerfed anything in the remake or not, I haven't played it.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Complaining about bosses being easy in Demons's Souls means you're completely missing the point of the game. Getting to the bosses is the game's challenge and main design philosophy, navigating through the ambushes, traps, environmental hazards and just the regular mooks.

Latria doesn't have a lot of combat, but the mind flayers can and will paralyze you if you try to rush them without thought. Gargoyles are easy but you fight them on tight ledges with one wrong move sending you back to the archstone. Same with the golden skellies waiting for you on tight cliff passages and mantas flying above ready to impale your non thief ring wearing ass. Not to mention the little shit goblins in Valley of Defilement, hiding in bushes or generally just blending in with the environment just waiting for an opportunity to stab you in the kidneys or push you off a cliff.

For these reasons, bosses like Flamelurker and Maneaters are highly effective. In a game where bosses are a victory lap after navigating the level, you enter the fog gate, assured of another easy victory and then they mop the floor with you. It's effective and memorable. You play Dark Souls 3, you're shocked when it's NOT another Artorias clone...

somerandomdude

Learned
Demon's Souls was only challenging from the perspective of it being literally the first game like that when it launched, and people who played it had to learn a brand new game, but people going back and replaying it in retrospect after playing later titles will certainly find it a bit on the easy side.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Played the remake a few months (or a year?) back and I immediately knew it was the best souls game.

Still was pretty hard (STR build and no poise didn’t help), Flamewoker probably killed me 20 times. Game is fookin gorgeous and the varied levels, bosses and so on made it interesting all the way through unlike dork souls. The shrine of storms is one of the coolest areas in a game.

Wish the remake had more content like fixing the broken arch stone:cry:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I'm just spittin facts, don't shoot the messenger. People are bitching about aesthetics in a remake of a game that was never aesthetically pleasing. I thought Demon's Souls was mindblowing back in the day. It was one of the coolest things I ever experienced, and never once in all that did I say "I like the way this game looks". Now it looks good and people are bitching about the way it looks. Retardred.
Demon's Souls had a lot of aesthetic and defining locations, but of course you wouldn't know since you couldn't even make out half of your screen in your drunken gaming sessions "back then". So spare me with your """objective facts""".

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Demon's Souls had a lot of aesthetic and defining locations, but of course you wouldn't know since you couldn't even make out half of your screen in your drunken gaming sessions "back then". So spare me with your """objective facts""".
I didn't drink as much back then so I could see the screen pretty clearly. I wasn't too impressed by the muddy textures and fuzzy resolution, or the lousy framerate. I'm so sorry my opinion caused you immense butthurt.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Everyone feels like the game got easier, but FROM's ultimate curse is that we were the player character all along, we leveled up, and now our Soul Level is too high to enjoy things. :negative:
Actually, this is the reason why Elden Ring was so retarded in its difficulty. From was too lazy to create a interesting new way of challenging the player, so they just added a bunch of bullshit to make sure even veteran players would be killed easily.

It’s the logical conclusion of the souls design philosophy, which is why Demon Souls remains the best game IMO.

It started as early as DS2. That one gave you an achievement, "This is Dark Souls", when you died for the first time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom