Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All you retards are sperging over the colors in the game, while there are more important questions about the remake. Like, how will they handle the world tendendy feature? It was a pretty interesting feature to have, and it could serve lot of surprises. On the other hand it as so vague that most of the time people didn't even know what is happening and how to change tendencies. You had to dig up wikis about it.

Not really. Tendency was automatic. If you would die or you would kill NPC tendency would go toward black. If you killed boss or red invader, toward white.

As for mechanics this is studio is known for remaking graphics and leaving original gameplay + some QOL. I really hope though that they would do last archstone.
Yes that part was easy, I was just thinking about all the small bits this affected gameplay wise. It had effects on NPCs, on levels etc, and it was hard to figure out IMO.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, tbh bleakness isn't all that important in Demon's. It's like how the Halloween movies got better after they stopped wasting time with all that 'tension' nonsense.
The parallel with movies is right because the entire thing got teal&oranged and it is one of the many things that have repulsed me from watching further jewlywood garbage in the past decade. No creativity in the color palette whatsoever.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, but there's hardly any in-game clear indication about which actions affect tendency and, even worse, which tendency your character/worlds are in. It's just a guessing game.

Tendency was shown i think on load, if archstone was black you had black tendency if it was clear you had white tendency. You start with white tendency i think.

But Tendency generally was just very small stuff. IT adds few red phantoms and enemies with few small locations while black and while white it opens up few small locations elsewhere where you can get like 2 armor sets and weapon.

Either way the whole point of Tendency and other stuff in DS was to be weird and hard to realize/find. Just like boss which summons NPC or player to fight you. You wouldn't know it was other player until you find a way to get summoned yourself.
This is one of the reasons why i like DS more than DaS. Your discoveries were genuine like finding shortcut that cuts 90% of whole level to boss.

I still think they should nuke from orbit bonfire system in later games. DS had the best version of it. You start level and only shortcuts can bring you closer to end boss.

Is it worth playing if you've already sank a lot of hours into Dark Souls 1?

You are playing ATM ? If you are already in game then just finish game. If you have like few hours then stop and finish DS.

You will see how much DarkS reused from DS.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Demon's Souls is just as much in need of a proper remake as DS1. There are major gameplay ooofs that scream for fixing - broken magic, awful UI and inventory, the terrible world tendency system (great idea, awful execution), the healing system (the DS-style rechargeable flask is vastly superior to the DeS/BB system), the retarded weapon upgrade system, the unnecessarily arcane crystal lizard system, the armour/poise system needs a complete rework (preferably in the DS2 style), useless mechanics like poison or bleed, absence of jumping, terrible PvP and a host of other minor issues (weapon balance, enemy encounters, build variety etc.).

TL;DR; please streamline the game for modern gamers' tastes and remove everything that makes it unique.

I always said that I consider DS the mechanically superior game, but I always liked DeS more, not the least because it's a bit rough around the edges and it allows "unbalanced" ideas.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Flamelurker looks kinda meh. But, of course, D1P for me. I hope they fix the tendency system so that it doesn't depend on something not-game-world related like the event of logging in to a server...

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
TL;DR; please streamline the game for modern gamers' tastes and remove everything that makes it unique.

I always liked DeS more, not the least because it's a bit rough around the edges and it allows "unbalanced" ideas.

Then good news! You can still play the original game with all the flaws and errors and half-assed mechanics that make it so unique!

You can even still keep running past the unfinished archstone!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Needs a re-release though. I'm not getting a shitty PS3 just for one game.
Have you tried running it on PS3 emulator? Worked well for me with fairly minimal effort, there's a thread somewhere around here with the details.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Have you tried running it on PS3 emulator? Worked well for me with fairly minimal effort, there's a thread somewhere around here with the details.

Can you play it without running through every area first to compile the shaders?
We've had this discussion before. The tentative conclusion then was that it works well if your cpu doesn't suck?

Perkel

Arcane

Can you play it without running through every area first to compile the shaders?

Most of shaders repeat through the game. So once you get bloetaria 1-1 you will hardly see compiling. If you can use Vulcan compiling will take in background so it won't even slow down game, just some texture will pop out quickly once.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is it worth playing if you've already sank a lot of hours into Dark Souls 1?

It's better than Dark Souls 1.
I am not sure if it is a better game if you are a pure gameplay fag, but for me, the atmosphere in Demons's Souls is what really makes it special. It's a special kind of forlorn. Not like Dark Souls's bleakness. This is more... desolation. It feels very good, to me.
Also why keeping fidelity to the original art style is important.

The difference is really hard for me to express in English. Both DeS, DS 1 and DS 2 have a 'depressed' mood. But the facets are different.

DeS has an atmosphere of a kingdom forgotten, of hope lost. It is a very, very lonely game. Much lonelier than DS 1/2. You meet far less people around. It is beautiful in its solitude.
DS 1 has an atmosphere of a dying, fading world. It is bleak, and hopelessness pervades, and those who lose all hope, become hollow.
DS 2 has (and I prefer that to 1) an atmosphere of forgetting. It, too, is a form of depression, but one where one has struggled enough to forget who one was, and what one set out to do. It expresses well the eerie unreality of the place it takes place in.

DS 3 is just an attempt to rekindle the glory of DS 1 and best forgotten, IMO. (Except the second DLC and the music)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

DS is more coherent, more developed in the bleak, dismal vibe it's trying to create. DeS stills feels like an inchoate mix of various ideas FS were playing with - high fantasy, cosmic horror, creepiness, goofiness, grimdark, tongue-in-cheek, everything put together and stirred. Otherwise a good write-up.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Flamelurker - Original vs Remake:

YaV3XWf.jpg
UzYS3Wd.jpg

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The mix and generally unnatural behavior of light along with certain decisions with regards to the color palette gives DeS that dreamlike nature that is quite special and something Bloodborne inherited in a way the DaS games didn't.

up2LDvF.jpg

Take this one for example. The lighting on the ground is far more contrasty and darker than what the sky would normally indicate. There's a green tint to the environment and a strong shine to elements of the tower knight. On the right, everything looks more natural, real worldy, but with that typical hollywood cold blue tint to the lighting. It doesn't feel like a dark fantasy place, it just looks like a gigantic armor thingy in a real castle in some shit movie.

0BJCD9O.jpg

On the left : subdued environments, more unique creature design which pops out more in the darkness
On the right : literal room of evil that could have fit a modern Blizzard diablo game.

GgwBBRH.png

Left : something that would fit a horror world, a color palette reminiscent of aged color photographs that evokes a sense of unreality
right : Diablo 3 movie by Michael Bay, hollywood generic teal&orange

This remake is completely tone deaf. They could have made something different from the original while still remaining decent but this just looks like generic shit. The whole trailer made me feel like I'm watching an hollywood adaptation and this isn't a compliment.

Perkel

Arcane
Hardcore people back then: What a shitty pos filter, where are is mod to remove that barf on screen ?
Hardcore people now: Give me back that amazing color filter !

It changed ascetics a bit but i wouldn't call it huge difference. The most important part gameplay will be the same.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The mix and generally unnatural behavior of light along with certain decisions with regards to the color palette gives DeS that dreamlike nature ... On the remake, everything looks more natural, real worldy

This.
DeS world was all about that metaphor of "walking through fog" and that was the atmosphere they really tried to nail.
The remake really seems to have lost that mistique.

Ok spergs are out in full force, this is damaging my brian, I'm checking out. CU on release.

Did you really had to edit your post to an entirely new one?

My point wasn't about the flames man, it's was about the design of the creature itself. That's why I used the image of the Flamelurker without the flames covering it, because the creature's design is clear there, and you can see the remake's design is very different (just at his face).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom