Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Ash

Arcane
"this looks bad. art-style is all wrong."

These are my feelings on 99% of remakes shat out in the past decade. Let alone the gameplay molestation nearly all see.

Edit: and audio

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I do wonder if they will nerf some of the items that were notorious for certain PvP troll invasions back then.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It looks uglier than the original, but maybe it's just the nostalgia talking. If this makes more people play and enjoy Demon's Souls, it's a good thing.

The most important question is: will the Maiden in Black be hot?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Omg we're gonna have a thread full of people wailing the remake doesn't look exactly like the OG to the every single detail. Fun times ahead.

The most important question is: will the Maiden in Black be hot?
Even more important is if they brought back the voice actress.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The screenshots look pretty good, but also photshopped.

DeS isn't really in that big a need of a remaster, it still looks and plays fine.

Ash

Arcane
Needs a re-release though. I'm not getting a shitty PS3 just for one game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some pics look very good. They completely missed the mark with the Tower Knight. It's a shame they didn't understand the artstyle and went for a safe generic one. Still not picking PS5 for this.

I hope they give a way to get the Pure Bladestone without having to farm so much. At least one in a treasure chest.

Falksi

Arcane
Codexia coming out in full sperg force lmao :outrage:
it's not just Codex.
Even redditors aren't all that happy with a new art style. Redditors, Carl!

d1Pi7jQ.png

I've never played Demon Souls and will give the remake a gander, but just looking at the pics side by side they have fucked things up and don't seem to get it.

I'm sure this'll be teaching some folk to suck eggs, but some really basic elements of expression there which most artists will recognise. Everything on the face of the old demon is strained and screams all the emotions which go with such strain (anger, pain etc.), whereas the new demon's expression is one of power.

The hanging dude's pic conveys a real feeling of barren emptyness. Add the fog and mountains and suddenly it becomes mystical and intriguing. The first provokes emotions of despair & hopelessness, the second of mystery and magic. It's two totally different things.

Still, doesn't mean it'll be bad, it just means that it's in the hands of amateurs who don't really know what they're doing or get the vibe.

A bit like going to watch a Jazz fusion band play The Sex Pistols.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The hanging dude's pic conveys a real feeling of barren emptyness. Add the fog and mountains and suddenly it becomes mystical and intriguing. The first provokes emotions of despair & hopelessness, the second of mystery and magic. It's two totally different things.

:backawayslowly:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All you retards are sperging over the colors in the game, while there are more important questions about the remake. Like, how will they handle the world tendendy feature? It was a pretty interesting feature to have, and it could serve lot of surprises. On the other hand it as so vague that most of the time people didn't even know what is happening and how to change tendencies. You had to dig up wikis about it.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I've been replaying this on emulator recently and the one gameplay part they're definitely going to mess with is the speed - the player's somewhat but especially that of enemies. For clarity, that is a prediction and not a statement of preference. It's still fine if you played ti before and probably passable if you're a non-retarded newcomer but I can't see them - knowing how many people are coming from a background starting with Bloodborne, DS3, and Sekiro - failing to cater to that crowd by up-pacing the action to something more in line with recent Fromsoft games.

Also please change the fucking limp-wristed firebomb toss animation.

edited for those with limited reading comprehension.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I've been replaying this on emulator recently and the one gameplay part they're definitely changing the feel of is the speed - the player's somewhat but especially that of enemies. It's still fine if you have an affectionate remembrance of how it originally felt and probably passable if you aren't retarded but I just can't see them - knowing how many people are coming from a background starting with Bloodborne, DS3, and Sekiro - failing to up-pace the action to something more in line with recent Fromsoft games. Bosses like flamelurker aren't going to do it for the fortnite crowd.

I am sorry, Dyskolos. But you are the Fortnite crowd.

The speed of the older Souls games is absolute fine. Dark Souls 3 fucking ruined everything with integrating mechanics that fit well in the BB universe, but were completely alien to the Souls series.

Perkel

Arcane
All you retards are sperging over the colors in the game, while there are more important questions about the remake. Like, how will they handle the world tendendy feature? It was a pretty interesting feature to have, and it could serve lot of surprises. On the other hand it as so vague that most of the time people didn't even know what is happening and how to change tendencies. You had to dig up wikis about it.

Not really. Tendency was automatic. If you would die or you would kill NPC tendency would go toward black. If you killed boss or red invader, toward white.

As for mechanics this is studio is known for remaking graphics and leaving original gameplay + some QOL. I really hope though that they would do last archstone.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To all the "muh sense of bleakness" spergs, here's what's actually important. A repost from the BB thread.

Basically this Remake is potentially my dream come true. Still reserving my judgement tho.

Remastering, with minimal changes to anything other than graphics.

The only exception would be to restore the sixth archstone.

No, sorry, not even close. Everybody was so enraged by the lazy cashgrab that the DS1 remaster was precisely because Bamco didn't fix the shit that needed to be fixed while wasting time and resources on improving crap nobody asked for, like textures and fancy new light effects.

If there was ever a game in need of a full remake it's DS1, with broken mechanics like chain backstab, reverse rolling or input queuing, with terrible UI, the general PvP jank and a host of major stuff like entire areas being either terrible or unfinished, the inability to invade or summon help in areas with dead bosses, the absence of respec, boring NG+ and more.

Demon's Souls is just as much in need of a proper remake as DS1. There are major gameplay ooofs that scream for fixing - broken magic, awful UI and inventory, the terrible world tendency system (great idea, awful execution), the healing system (the DS-style rechargeable flask is vastly superior to the DeS/BB system), the retarded weapon upgrade system, the unnecessarily arcane crystal lizard system, the armour/poise system needs a complete rework (preferably in the DS2 style), useless mechanics like poison or bleed, absence of jumping, terrible PvP and a host of other minor issues (weapon balance, enemy encounters, build variety etc.).

And also, to be perfectly honest, I love the DeS gimmicky bosses, it's a wonderful reprieve from the fast jumping knight archetype spam in DS3, but many of them need some serious updating or even a straight up overhaul because in this day and age they'd be seen as extremely janky and lulzy. Oh and while the music is conceptually excellent the execution is meme-worthy. It sounds like the composer only used an old Roland MIDI system. The soundtrack needs an orchestral rendition too.

So no, a simple DeS remaster would be just as a gigantic wasted opportunity as DSR was.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Not really. Tendency was automatic. If you would die or you would kill NPC tendency would go toward black. If you killed boss or red invader, toward white.

And if you were online you had no control over it. A terrible execution.

The replacement might be the Fractured World system they mentioned in the original video description and then promptly removed lol.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

As for mechanics this is studio is known for remaking graphics and leaving original gameplay + some QOL. I really hope though that they would do last archstone.
Yeah, but there's hardly any in-game clear indication about which actions affect tendency and, even worse, which tendency your character/worlds are in. It's just a guessing game. If you perfectly know how tendencies work it's only because you looked it up somewhere or someone explained it to you. I'm not saying this is bad (I don't care), but it's still far from easy to understand.

There's also the fact that it's impossible to perfectly manage your world tendencies while playing online, since your world tendencies get modified by those of other people playing on your server.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"which tendency your character/worlds are in"
You could see your character and world tendency quite easily by just checking it in a menu, I forgot which menu but it wasn't hidden or anything.
I liked that it was vague and it's not as if anything related to it was vital to finishing the game. People need to get over not being able to optimize and do everything in a first or even second playthrough. And really if you are a completionist you are likely going to end up checking a wiki anyway so who cares.

Silverfish

Arbiter
To all the "muh sense of bleakness" spergs, here's what's actually important.

Yeah, tbh bleakness isn't all that important in Demon's. It's like how the Halloween movies got better after they stopped wasting time with all that 'tension' nonsense.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I've been replaying this on emulator recently and the one gameplay part they're definitely changing the feel of is the speed - the player's somewhat but especially that of enemies. It's still fine if you have an affectionate remembrance of how it originally felt and probably passable if you aren't retarded but I just can't see them - knowing how many people are coming from a background starting with Bloodborne, DS3, and Sekiro - failing to up-pace the action to something more in line with recent Fromsoft games. Bosses like flamelurker aren't going to do it for the fortnite crowd.

I am sorry, Dyskolos. But you are the Fortnite crowd.

The speed of the older Souls games is absolute fine. Dark Souls 3 fucking ruined everything with integrating mechanics that fit well in the BB universe, but were completely alien to the Souls series.

This is funny to read for folks who played DeS after playing previous King's Field+Shadow Tower games made by the same studio.
Because for them DeS was way more dynamic compared to older FROM titles. Plus way more aggresive AI.

Edit: and audio

Then Dragon God shown up and released worse roar than original I felt like something died in me.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
"which tendency your character/worlds are in"
You could see your character and world tendency quite easily by just checking it in a menu, I forgot which menu but it wasn't hidden or anything.
I liked that it was vague and it's not as if anything related to it was vital to finishing the game. People need to get over not being able to optimize and do everything in a first or even second playthrough. And really if you are a completionist you are likely going to end up checking a wiki anyway so who cares.
You could check it in the menu and the indicator was the luminosity of stones and character, there was no way to know for sure how far you were from a particular status. Mind you, I'm not complaining: to me, the more obscure these games are, the better. I was only stating that the tendency mechanics weren't exactly accessible and easy to grasp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom