Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When reading the thread title :bounce::bounce::hype::bounce::bounce:.

When the trailer said PS only :negative::negative::negative:.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Anyone who thought this wouldn't be a PS5 exclusive for at least a few years was deluding themselves. You might see it come to PC at the very end of the console generation, if you're lucky.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The original atmosphere will be lost cause of all the changes: architecture, mobs and so on.

On the other hand, I'm quite sure that it will provide a different but great experience.

Honestly the real question is: Is this game enough to buy a PS5 for ?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The original atmosphere will be lost cause of all the changes: architecture, mobs and so on.

Brofist!

On the other hand, I'm quite sure that it will provide a different but great experience.

Not sure if serious...

Honestly the real question is: Is this game enough to buy a PS5 for ?

Retadred!

A roller-coaster of emotions :)

The remake doesn't touch the combat mechanics therefore there is a small chance the game will suck. DS without junk could be great.

The last quote was a question. It's not retarded to ask although the answer is clearly 'No' ... just saying.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
GgwBBRH.png

Left : something that would fit a horror world, a color palette reminiscent of aged color photographs that evokes a sense of unreality
right : Diablo 3 movie by Michael Bay, hollywood generic teal&orange.

When you see the Dragon god for the first time in the intro of the game you go completely hype. Then he opens his mouth and you see than xenomorf-like combination of jaws and a completely uncanney sensation invades you. This is completely missing in his new redesign, in fact they reduced the size of his "inner gums" in order to make him less strange, and they added him glowing eyes and fire through his throat to make him look "cool". In summary, it completely fails to replicate his aliensque weird and unique design, and this can be said too about the new Vanguard demon, who looks like a generic butcher fat demon from a generic western action RPG. As commented, they also completely ruined Boletaria medieval architectonic style by changing it to a random gothic look a la Bloodborne/ Dark souls 3. The main armor from the cover of the games has been completely changed too.

And I don't want to be completely pesimistic about this remake, because the tutorial area pics look great. But definetively there's a bunch of reasons to be worried about. It's pretty obvious this new version isn't made by Miyazaki and his weebs like the original.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane

The new design doesn't fit the music at all. It lacks the subtlety and screams generic epic orchestral soundtrack.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
For comparison:

God that dragon looks cool. It's not just the mouth. It's the whole head shape, and the muted color. It just looks so eerie and frightening! The way that inner jaw quivers...
It goes from "Oh wow, another game where you fight undead and skeletons..." to "...wait, what? Good Lord!"

Funposter

Arcane
vanguard looks like an enemy from DOOM 2016, the levels look like something out of Vermintide 2 because of how overly detailed they are. i bet they'll turn all of the bosses into DS3/BB-esque shonen anime fights because zoomers think the Armor Spider is "boring".

sullynathan

Arcane
vanguard looks like an enemy from DOOM 2016, the levels look like something out of Vermintide 2 because of how overly detailed they are. i bet they'll turn all of the bosses into DS3/BB-esque shonen anime fights because zoomers think the Armor Spider is "boring".
Zoomers didn't play demon's souls to come to the conclusion that armor spider was boring. That opinion, and many others, has existed for a decade now when they were still in elementary school.

so you are telling us old people are very wise and often get ignored? i agree.
indeed remasters and remakes are shit , especially in this days and age

As a fan of the original Demon's Souls that is very skeptical about the art direction in the remake, the original Demon's Souls will continue existing and Resident 2 Remake was one of the best games of the generation, so i'm fine with ignoring you old farts just fine.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
so you are telling us old people are very wise and often get ignored? i agree.
indeed remasters and remakes are shit , especially in this days and age

As a fan of the original Demon's Souls that is very skeptical about the art direction in the remake, the original Demon's Souls will continue existing and Resident 2 Remake was one of the best games of the generation, so i'm fine with ignoring you old farts just fine.
i never played RE but every remake and remaster i did play was worse than the source material, or at best a cash grab wich changed little to nothing. even if existed 1 remake/remaster that did improve upon the original , it would be the exception and not the rule

i never played RE but every remake and remaster i did play was worse than the source material, or at best a cash grab wich changed little to nothing. even if existed 1 remake/remaster that did improve upon the original , it would be the exception and not the rule

Doesn't mean anything, most games are bad, remake or not. Great games are the exception, not the rule.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Name 5 remastered/remakes that improved the original game

p.s. i'm talking about modern remasters and remakes , since 2010 onward
Command & Conquer, Shadow of the Colossus, Halo - The Master Chief Collection, Okami HD, The Legend of Zelda - Wind waker, Grim Fandango

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Command & Conquer, Shadow of the Colossus, Halo - The Master Chief Collection, Okami HD, The Legend of Zelda - Wind waker, Grim Fandango

Many of these are just innocuous bland remasters that didn't really add anything to the original game. No more different playing LD games in emulators in HD (although in many cases the emulator approach is better). More interesting that commercial remasters are those fan made patches:

Still, they are just aesthetic improvements (opinable in any case) that have as major good point the fact that at least they don't destroy the original good gameplay.

The only remake that improves on the original that I am aware of is the RE1 remake of 2002.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Many of these are just innocuous bland remasters that didn't really add anything to the original game

That's the definition of a remarster, they just update the visuals.
Remakes are the ones that update everything else.

And SotC from Bluepoint is a remake. Other remakes better than the originals are Twin Snakes, REmake 2, Pokemon SS/HG + FR/GL, SM All Stars, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, AM2R

Realms of Arkania HD

:troll:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The Shadow of the colossus from Bluepoint games in not a remake, but a remaster. It uses the code of the original game, it's not made from scratch. It updates the models, textures, lighting and some animations, but all this thing are built on the original code.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom