Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zeriel

Arcane
Me too, Atlantico. I enjoyed Diablo 1/2, I would't classify them as RPG's, only action dungeon crawlers with light rpg elements, but D3 is just rainbow slot machine simulator.

Depends on whether you consider Rogue an RPG, I suppose. Diablo 1 is a (stripped down) but fairly honest graphical Rogue clone. It just kept evolving in more "cinematic", mass-market direction from game to game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Diablo-likes are hopeless. Someone make Nox-likes.

Revanant-likes would be better. I fucking loved that game. Such a cool melee combat system, magic system etc.

I liked the combo-based action combat some of those early late 90s early 2000s Diablo clones were going for. Soulbringer was another one that had a really interesting combat system based on weapons each having a unique series of attacks and interweaving different strikes.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Revanant-likes would be better. I fucking loved that game. Such a cool melee combat system, magic system etc.

I liked the combo-based action combat some of those early late 90s early 2000s Diablo clones were going for. Soulbringer was another one that had a really interesting combat system based on weapons each having a unique series of attacks and interweaving different strikes.

Or Silver.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Sacred, Ultima 8

No need for tangential games - the open world is almost exactly Lost Ark. Play a little of that or watch some videos and you'll know how the open world works. Note that I'm talking specifically the open world.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
No lifed the beta this weekend.

Honestly its fucking good. graphics top notch, combat top notch, the UI is kind of iffy and shitty.. and it FEELS kind of mobile/console, but its tolerable when everythin else is nice.

itemization? eh i dunno.. will reserve for launch to judge but so far its fine imo.

level scaling to zones is the biggest thing ppl are angry about... its kind of... getting used to, but its fine imo. means that every zone is still relevant..

8/10 so far. Played the game until lvl 25 HARDCORE on sorc, died 5 times on barb... barb is weak.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Sacred, Ultima 8

No need for tangential games - the open world is almost exactly Lost Ark. Play a little of that or watch some videos and you'll know how the open world works. Note that I'm talking specifically the open world.

Man, back in the day I've soaked so many hours into Revenant. It was very grindy and the ending wasn't that great as far as I recall. Was it some kind of love story?

abija

Prophet
I watched a dude stream it for a bit just now, visually it does look really nice. Certainly much improved over D3 in that regard.

It's desaturated and darkened D3. Also Perkel is wrong in pretty much anything he says.
Worst part... in an early game beta you end up rolling over content without thinking, I seriously doubt this game won't turn into max zoom zoom very fast.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I won't be ironic about this one, it does look like utter shit. This whole genre is shit more or less ; this is my enlightened conclusion after having played a bunch of rogue-likes. If you think about it two seconds, Diablo games are a degraded action-based form of rogue-likes. There is only so much you can do with the formula. The fact that it centered around "grind" and item-hunting for more than two decades is not only disgusting, but probably pathological in some way. Just play DCSS or TOME, in a very sane and reasonable way, restarting characters over and over for hundreds of hours, becoming progressively blind and fat in the process, increasing your inner potential as a human being.

Zeriel

Arcane
I watched a dude stream it for a bit just now, visually it does look really nice. Certainly much improved over D3 in that regard.

It's desaturated and darkened D3. Also Perkel is wrong in pretty much anything he says.
Worst part... in an early game beta you end up rolling over content without thinking, I seriously doubt this game won't turn into max zoom zoom very fast.

Yep, early levels are when all ARPGs are at their "hardest", generally speaking, outside of prestige challenge encounters, so it really says nothing much if a low level demo takes 2-3x hits to kill a monster instead of 1x in a finished game at higher levels. If anything, if the experience is not very challenging initially in a demo you can expect it to be completely braindead at mid levels in the finished product.

Takamori

Learned
No lifed the beta this weekend.

Honestly its fucking good. graphics top notch, combat top notch, the UI is kind of iffy and shitty.. and it FEELS kind of mobile/console, but its tolerable when everythin else is nice.
Come on UI is straight dogshit not even in a console PoV it makes sense, your substats is hidden through 2 menus. Irrelevant shit being easy to access and not what matters like total HP,Mana and so on, visual clarity throw in the garbage for the sake of "looking cool" instead of helping your collect information fast like the fucking friend list.
Font is trash Blizzard with their resources could hire someone to do stylized fonts for this game but they choose this shit that looks like an alpha placeholder.

Itemization like I said previously much better compared to D3 given that I during beta I actually was paying attention to what stats I wanted in my gear as barb, but the legendary system I have some reservations should be a separate system from gear and attached directly to skills and actually do legendaries that have interesting behavior in gameplay.

In theory they can overhaul the UI before the release but itemization is set to stone will require them to patch along seasons, now what bothers me how to they plan to do seasons with this Lost Ark Lite garbage attached to the game, do I have to go collect Lilith statues every fucking season?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom