Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is a game I see myself returning to for years just like I did for the last three.

people are going to play d2 even after d4 is dead (d3 already is)

ArchAngel

Arcane
POE doesn't look better and if you intend to play the game seriously it's not totally free. Not that it matters, because most people don't really get into POE based on the price.

Technically i doubt people playing POE seriously spent less than people on D4. Myself I probably spent like 200$ over the years on stash tabs (and nothing more because fuck micro).
I spent about 30 e into PoE, got 1000+ hours out of it and hope to get another 1000+ out of PoE2

Saravan

Savant
doubt POE2 will improve that as it is just POE1 + some small tweaks and new graphics.
so... just like d4 compared to d3?
Difference being that D3 is dogshit and 'small tweaks' to D3 still doesn't make a good game. Yes, there are significant improvements on the art and atmosphere but the actual game mechanics are still really bad. Cooldowns, level scaling, simplistic skill system (paragon system is effectively +5 to attributes level up with some variation with glyphs) and incredibly bad itemisation (seriously there isn't even stat requirements on items). Also the concept of 'ultimates' from D3 is still retarded, this isn't a fucking MOBA game.

PoE has its problems. Much of it is tied to the game being bloated as fuck after all these years, but there is still an aspiration by the devs to implement sufficiently complex mechanics for builds. For this reason alone, PoE 2 has a much better chance of being an actual improvement.

Nathir

Liturgist
I can't see any reason to pay money for this when POE looks better and is free

POE doesn't look better and if you intend to play the game seriously it's not totally free. Not that it matters, because most people don't really get into POE based on the price.

I will now try to explain the appeal of D4, after playing it for the last 3 days. And I'm talking about the actual appeal of the finished product and not marketing speak. Basically, the game appeals to people who want a hack & slash which has a setting/game world they can immerse themselves in, akin to playing an Elders Scrolls game, for example. I'm talking about reading all the lore, talking to many non-quest specific NPCs (tons of these in the game) and doing every sidequest. The experience of playing the game is more akin to Divine Divinity and Sacred 1, rather than D2.

If the setting, the lore and the story (all sidequests included) don't interest you, than this game will do nothing for you. While the action and the loot is decent, it's not good enough to elevate the experience on its own.

Lol, muh immersion. How can you talk about immersion when the character just runs forward spamming overdesigned skills, while monsters don't even flinch. They glow white and a damage number pops up. Look at the death animations in D1. Compare killing a hidden one to killing something in D3/D4. See how certain monsters recoil, while others like black knights immediately recover. D4 they just glow white and run at you. In general, monster design is bad and wow inspired. How can you talk about immersion when your character can buy gear for real money, straight out of the game? Lore? Story? Blizzard can't write anything worth shit. Ever since SC2 all their stories have been complete garbage, D4 is no exception. This atmosphere and immersion are exactly what elevated D1 and D2. But D3 and D4 lack.

Skorpion

Educated
How can you talk about immersion when your character can buy gear for real money, straight out of the game? Lore? Story? Blizzard can't write anything worth shit. Ever since SC2 all their stories have been complete garbage, D4 is no exception. This atmosphere and immersion are exactly what elevated D1 and D2. But D3 and D4 lack.
You can buy skins, as in cosmetics. Not gear.
Say what you will regarding opinions but get your facts right.

Nathir

Liturgist
How can you talk about immersion when your character can buy gear for real money, straight out of the game? Lore? Story? Blizzard can't write anything worth shit. Ever since SC2 all their stories have been complete garbage, D4 is no exception. This atmosphere and immersion are exactly what elevated D1 and D2. But D3 and D4 lack.
You can buy skins, as in cosmetics. Not gear.
Say what you will regarding opinions but get your facts right.

You completely missed the point you moron.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I can't see any reason to pay money for this when POE looks better and is free

I will now try to explain the appeal of D4, after playing it for the last 3 days. And I'm talking about the actual appeal of the finished product and not marketing speak. Basically, the game appeals to people who want a hack & slash which has a setting/game world they can immerse themselves in, akin to playing an Elders Scrolls game, for example. I'm talking about reading all the lore, talking to many non-quest specific NPCs (tons of these in the game) and doing every sidequest. The experience of playing the game is more akin to Divine Divinity and Sacred 1, rather than D2.

If the setting, the lore and the story (all sidequests included) don't interest you, than this game will do nothing for you. While the action and the loot is decent, it's not good enough to elevate the experience on its own.

Lol, muh immersion. How can you talk about immersion when the character just runs forward spamming overdesigned skills, while monsters don't even flinch. They glow white and a damage number pops up. Look at the death animations in D1. Compare killing a hidden one to killing something in D3/D4. See how certain monsters recoil, while others like black knights immediately recover. D4 they just glow white and run at you. In general, monster design is bad and wow inspired. How can you talk about immersion when your character can buy gear for real money, straight out of the game? Lore? Story? Blizzard can't write anything worth shit. Ever since SC2 all their stories have been complete garbage, D4 is no exception. This atmosphere and immersion are exactly what elevated D1 and D2. But D3 and D4 lack.

I talked about this a lot previously

devs are spending too much time making skills *look* good and too little time making them *feel* good

the cult skill from D2 Zeal isn't flashy but still feels incredibly crisp after 20 years

It had a very satisfying CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK sound like you were really hacking into their flesh and the monsters went ER AGH URGH with each hit, then a loud satisfying death scream when they die

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yosharian

Arcane
I think what Nathir is trying to say is that if a character can buy a specific appearance from the game store, that that ruins any immersion the game might have because that appearance effectively came out of thin air from the perspective of the game world.

Nathir

Liturgist

I'm not listening to this.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'm not listening to this.

I also live in fear but in different ways. We're in this together. Don't take what I say too hard. I had to grow up with that kind of voice but actually in my face. It's scary shit.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Apparently it took him 15 attempts in order to win with this strat:

Ben_ goes over the build after the kill and cheat death scrolls are fucking stupid.

Yosharian

Arcane
Hmm I watched some gameplay just to remind myself, and the monsters do go flying when you kill them. Bosses don't, I guess? But did they in D2? Been so long since I played I can't remember

Anyway I take back my previous comment

abija

Prophet
It's not only about flying, but reacting to hits, and it's probably based on amount of hp/monster type. Fighting some normal shield knights is very obvious.

Zlaja

Arcane
you need to fix the hate in your heart that will destroy your life

If someone did that they might stop visiting the Codex. Fuck that! We can't afford to lose more bodies.

Lol, muh immersion. How can you talk about immersion when the character just runs forward spamming overdesigned skills, while monsters don't even flinch. They glow white and a damage number pops up. Look at the death animations in D1. Compare killing a hidden one to killing something in D3/D4. See how certain monsters recoil, while others like black knights immediately recover. D4 they just glow white and run at you. In general, monster design is bad and wow inspired. How can you talk about immersion when your character can buy gear for real money, straight out of the game? Lore? Story? Blizzard can't write anything worth shit. Ever since SC2 all their stories have been complete garbage, D4 is no exception. This atmosphere and immersion are exactly what elevated D1 and D2. But D3 and D4 lack

You got some good points here, mixed with some try-hard nonsense. The latter being "enemies don't react" which is false and calling monster design "wow inspired". Also, you can turn the damage numbers off (thank fuck).

Regarding what I said about immersion: I was simply saying that this is what the game AIMS to achieve with its design. To the point where they sacrifized fluidity of gameplay in favor of it and to the point where your enjoyment of D4 might very well depend on whether you end up liking the game's setting/lore/story/sidequests. Basically, if the game fails to immerse you, then you won't enjoy it much. Also, you probably won't enjoy it if you're looking for that quick "pick up 'n play" quality that D2 had.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
So apparently Whoopi Goldberg is a big Diablo fan and she is pissed off that D4 isn't available for Mac.

Cos it's not like she could just buy a maxed-out Windows gaming PC with her pocket change or anything

Why are rich people so stupid and obnoxious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom