Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Yosharian

Arcane
  • Please note: We have reached our quota of beta codes, further orders do not receive a beta code. We apologize for any inconvenience
CURSES

Yosharian

Arcane
bah i don't care enough about getting access to the beta to annoy Amazon with this tbh

anyway looking at some twitch streams the game honestly looks pretty good. definitely more of a D2 style than the disgusting D3/Immortal-clone that was seen in that other video

however this is Blizzard so visuals aside the game will no doubt be shite

ADL

Prophet
Been watching those Livestreams, and it's essentially a spruced up Diablo 3. Feels like its getting old really fast, or do you pre-order fags differ?
Three hours in level 14 Rogue and I'd say it's more along the lines of Diablo Immortal without the pay2win BS, a darker aesthetic and much smoother animations/gameplay... Which is exactly what I wanted since I enjoyed the MMO-y stuff from Immortal. Towns and outposts are little social hubs in the style of the original Guild Wars and Destiny. You'll notice when you enter a multiplayer town instance because there's a half second stutter and you suddenly start seeing other players. Stumbling across other players in the wilderness is a rare enough occurrence for it not to be annoying but they always seem to find their way into your Rift/Guild Wars 2-style public events. Whatever phasing technology they're doing is working really well.

The moment to moment gameplay feels really good. Going from a caltrops backwards jump into shadow step, flurries with dual daggers and rapid firing your bow when enemies are vulnerable is smooth as hell (Druid/Necro aren't available this weekend, I'll be maining druid as soon as I can)

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Been watching those Livestreams, and it's essentially a spruced up Diablo 3. Feels like its getting old really fast, or do you pre-order fags differ?
Three hours in level 14 Rogue and I'd say it's more along the lines of Diablo Immortal without the pay2win BS, a darker aesthetic and much smoother animations/gameplay... Which is exactly what I wanted since I enjoyed the MMO-y stuff from Immortal. Towns and outposts are little social hubs in the style of the original Guild Wars and Destiny. You'll notice when you enter a multiplayer town instance because there's a half second stutter and you start seeing other players. Stumbling across other players in the wilderness is a rare enough occurrence for it not to be annoying but they always seem to find their way into your Rift/Guild Wars 2-style public events.

Whatever phasing technology they're doing is working really well.
Huh you think it's like Immortal?

How do you think it compares to Grim Dawn / POE?

ADL

Prophet

As much as I love Grim Dawn as a Titan Quest fan, both are too different to compare since those are very traditional aRPGs and this is going for something quite different. Immortal and Lost Ark are much closer comparisons but I didn't play enough of either to comment because the monetization. Based on what I saw in that level 100 Barbarian footage, I'm definitely optimistic towards Diablo 4's endgame for the sake of visual clarity and it being slow enough to enjoy the moment to moment gameplay instead of teleporting around and instakilling everything in sight. Maybe I'm wrong and that guy didn't have a proper build going and didn't know what he was doing but his actions never got lost underneath particle effects and he was using more than two skills during encounters so it has Path of Exile beat on that point alone.

I can already tell that I'm gonna be annoyed playing through this campaign on repeat with leagues because there's a lot of cinematics and moments where the camera leaves your character which I don't recall happening much in D3. Not sure if it's exclusive to the first act but holy shit. It's cool the first time around but I'm gonna get sick of holding ESC to skip everything five seasons in.

Yosharian

Arcane

As much as I love Grim Dawn as a Titan Quest fan, both are too different to compare since those are very traditional aRPGs and this is going for something quite different. Based on what I saw in that level 100 Barbarian footage, I'm definitely optimistic towards Diablo 4's endgame for the sake of visual clarity and it being slow enough to enjoy the moment to moment gameplay instead of teleporting around and instakilling everything in sight. Maybe I'm wrong and that guy didn't have a proper build going and didn't know what he was doing but his actions never got lost underneath particle effects and he was using more than two skills during encounters so it has Path of Exile beat on that point alone.

I can already tell that I'm gonna be annoyed playing through this campaign on repeat with leagues because there's a lot of cinematics and moments where the camera leaves your character which I don't recall happening much in D3. Not sure if it's exclusive to the first act but holy shit. It's cool the first time around but I'm gonna get sick of holding ESC to skip everything five seasons in.
Alright, I see. Keep us posted on what you think about the campaign, I am curious if the campaign is better this time around because it was dogshit in D3

agris

Arcane
Patron
Almost 3k comments under the video, almost no positive ones. 'Refund' seems to be the most common word. Good!

ZzzjIf3.png

the people have spoken. it's shit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
When even the average YouTuber smells shit...
Codex still goes "Dis gun b gud doe!!"
Average codexer can watch twitch for real time gameplay for hours now. But since are a retard you are still in this topic screaming at walls.
What does Twitch have to do with anything? Anyone expecting a good game from Blizzard at this point in time is a mouthbreather.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Average codexer can watch twitch for real time gameplay for hours now. But since are a retard you are still in this topic screaming at walls.
What does Twitch have to do with anything? Anyone expecting a good game from Blizzard at this point in time is a mouthbreather.
It lets you see for yourself how it really looks from 200 different live streams instead of just using that stupid video to yell at walls.

ADL

Prophet
I haven't seen official media of gameplay do such a disservice to the game it's marketing since Doom 2016's reveal.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It lets you see for yourself how it really looks from 200 different live streams instead of just using that stupid video to yell at walls.
I didn't watch anything. I don't need to because I know it's a shit game by design.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I haven't seen official media of gameplay do such a disservice to the game it's marketing since Doom 2016's reveal.

This is what happens when video games make enough money to attract corporate stooges. Approximately 80% of the video games industry is dead weight.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
This is what happens when video games make enough money to attract corporate stooges. Approximately 80% of the video games industry is dead weight.
I would say that is true of most large companies. You get more inefficiency and useless people the bigger an organization grows. You are only going to find good stuff from small to mid sized developers now.

Man, I really dodged a bullet not pre-ordering this. I'd say the big problem with the look now is the UI. It is exactly Diablo 3's UI and puts way too much information on screen.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Love that the people who bought a $5 chicken sandwich are playing and the $100 pre-orders can't get in. Winner winner, chicken dinner. Chicken chads win again.

DemonKing

Arcane
Haven't really been following this and wasn't a huge fan of D2 or D3 (D1 was my favourite) but I have to say I found the beta pretty impressive when I tried it out for a couple of hours this morning.

Visually it's very gothic and while it is pretty cutscene heavy so far the antagonists and main NPCs seem like they'll get a lot of time to shine. The combat up until the first main city was incredibly easy but once I stepped outside there it seemed to ratchet up a notch or two.

If you want to couch co-op it's a bit wonky though as it seems to only work in certain areas and not at the very beginning of the game.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I think the number is higher than that, but yeah. Its appalling how bad the industry is with marketing and then the subsequent follow through. In both Bethesda (publisher) and Blizzards case they have become so complacent that they just don't care. Plus they're incompetent.

Takamori

Learned
Its a two step forward compared to D3. Itemization wise and art wise but that ain't saying much given both are the bottom of the barrel.

Probably will be your run of the mill casual ARPG since the beta only allows until lvl 25, don't expect much depth from building your character maybe the Paragon board could be something but its Blizzard I will never trust them to do something interesting, requiring your player to use two braincells makes your game not profitable.

Like if you play PoE or Last Epoch and you are expecting the same depth forget about it, cancel your pre order and wait until next league in April.
The business model sounds similar to what Bungie do with Destiny 2, season pass, expansion, mtx, mounts and whatever shit so you can milk dry the retards that thinks burning money into a mmolite game is "socialization"

Reinhardt

Arcane
one look at inventory says everything you need to know. every item is same size, be it amulet or full plate. it's reskinned d3. GOTHIC HORROR!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom