Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

DemonKing

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh. Is there couch co-op?
Of course. Assuming you have two PS5s, two TVs and one big-ass couch.
On Xbox you can do it all on one Xbox but you have to buy the game twice.
Really? I could get couch co-op going in the beta easily enough on PS5 (and D3 ran fine in that mode without having to buy an extra copy). Not sure why the Xbox would be any different.
You need to have multiple accounts (that are linked to Blizzard accounts) to get into couch coop, with beta it was free for all accounts so other player can join easily. For full game you will only be able to join if other account also owns the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As for the game itself, this time I tried Sorc and Barbarian. Sorc was fun, chain lighting clears groups, Fire Shield saves you from dangerous situations and Hydras provide good constant dps while you dodge stuff.
Also I tried firewall later for bonus damage vs bosses that like to stand in one spot.
But I spent more time trying to make Barbarian work and I found it not fun or good. It was even worse than Druid in last beta. I tried a couple of Barbarian builds and even took time to farm lvl 20 weapons (in lvl 30 area) but none of them I found fun.

I hate that I need to constantly switch attacks just so I can have enough rage to power the ones I want to use. It is very unfun and it is not even needed. They already have mechanics that would incentivize you to use basic attacks to powerful your Core skills, no need for Rage shit. Rage would be better served for powering up higher level skills that are currently on irritatingly long cooldowns (shouts are all on 25s CD.......)
Already some Core skills have modifers that give them bonus damage if you first use non Core skill or if enemy is already bleeding or something. Or if enemy is stunned and shit. Or druid has that Core skills that 100% Overpowers if you do not use it for 10s which is better incentive than "not enough spirit shit".

Sorc has this same problem but a bit less irritating due to her being ranged.

This is main reason why I am not even thinking of giving money to Blizzard for this game any time soon. If I am able to buy it for 30 or 35$ I might get it once it is more fun and balanced and I got nothing better to play or spend money on.

DemonKing

Arcane
Really? I could get couch co-op going in the beta easily enough on PS5 (and D3 ran fine in that mode without having to buy an extra copy). Not sure why the Xbox would be any different.
You need to have multiple accounts (that are linked to Blizzard accounts) to get into couch coop, with beta it was free for all accounts so other player can join easily. For full game you will only be able to join if other account also owns the game.
Unlikely for console couch co-op. If one player is on console and one on PC (or a different console) you’d definitely need two copies of the game but as long as everyone on a single console has their own Battlenet account that should be sufficient otherwise they’d be expecting everyone in a single household playing off the same console to buy a copy to play single player as well, which wouldn’t fly.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Unlikely for console couch co-op. If one player is on console and one on PC (or a different console) you’d definitely need two copies of the game but as long as everyone on a single console has their own Battlenet account that should be sufficient otherwise they’d be expecting everyone in a single household playing off the same console to buy a copy to play single player as well, which wouldn’t fly.
It will work like I said for Xbox, I do not know for PS5 but I doubt they would do it differently for PS5.

Jimeh

Educated
I hate that I need to constantly switch attacks just so I can have enough rage to power the ones I want to use. It is very unfun and it is not even needed. They already have mechanics that would incentivize you to use basic attacks to powerful your Core skills, no need for Rage shit. Rage would be better served for powering up higher level skills that are currently on irritatingly long cooldowns (shouts are all on 25s CD.......)
Already some Core skills have modifers that give them bonus damage if you first use non Core skill or if enemy is already bleeding or something. Or if enemy is stunned and shit.
Early levels with barb not starting with full resource makes her feel worse than other classes but I'm surprised you got up to farming Kor Dragan stronghold and were still having rage issues about your rage issues. :P

Here's how it went for my barb...

Rallying Cry, +50% resource generation, 30% movement speed, +25 rage
War Cry, +15% damage, 4 sec BERSERKING (Increases your damage by 25% and your movement speed by 30%.)
Leap in to battle, +40 rage from talent.
Ground Stomp, +25 rage, knocks them all down for 3 seconds.
Spin To Win

I was using Lunging Strike as my basic because I like the mobility it offers but I really only used it to clean up stragglers not as a serious rage generator.

Full version I'll probably swap out Ground Stomp for Iron Maelstrom which was probably the most fun skill in the game, last beta.

I think Rallying Cry is a bit of a must-have skill because it gives you Unbreakable which you can use while disabled to break out of stuns and frozen and stuff. Same with Concealment for the rogue; very hard skill to give up having on the bar.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Already some Core skills have modifers that give them bonus damage if you first use non Core skill or if enemy is already bleeding or something. Or if enemy is stunned and shit.
Early levels with barb not starting with full resource makes her feel worse than other classes but I'm surprised you got up to farming Kor Dragan stronghold and were still having rage issues about your rage issues. :P

Here's how it went for my barb...

Rallying Cry, +50% resource generation, 30% movement speed, +25 rage
War Cry, +15% damage, 4 sec BERSERKING (Increases your damage by 25% and your movement speed by 30%.)
Leap in to battle, +40 rage from talent.
Ground Stomp, +25 rage, knocks them all down for 3 seconds.
Spin To Win
I tried something similar as well except I used Charge as it is hard to leap where you want on a controller. Also rage always ran out with Whirlwind before you kill everyone (or when Rally Cry runs out) forcing you to go back to using your basic skill (which I chose bleed one as that one uses two handed slashing weapon which was only lvl 20 weapon I had).
Also what do you do when you run into next group and your 25s CD shouts are not ready? You use you basic skill to get rage to max. Fucking boring.

I had more luck with Rend where you use it once on enemy group and move on as they die from bleed. But that skill is also irritating because it does not have full 360 aoe and if enemy moves at last moment you miss and do nothing for that rage you spent..

EDIT: I also played around with Frenzy, Bash, Hammer skill and that one that shoots rocks at enemies. None of them felt good.. I only didn't try double strike one. Also Hammer one is the worst and mostly useless.
I also tried two of the lvl 18 skills (Finisher one and Bleed one) and they are bad as well.

Last edited:

Jimeh

Educated
I went with a bleed/thorns build last beta but got worried about how much they nerfed thorns. I did like Rend a lot and, what was it, Pulverize? To instantly do all the bleed as a nuke and AOE bleed everyone. Then, last beta, the thorns were doing over 400 damage return. Was plenty fun enough. :)

There's still more barb builds I want to try. Gotta work out one that uses Frenzy basic attack, More Berserking stuff... Double Swing got a big buff but I didn't get a chance to try it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I went with a bleed/thorns build last beta but got worried about how much they nerfed thorns. I did like Rend a lot and, what was it, Pulverize? To instantly do all the bleed as a nuke and AOE bleed everyone. Then, last beta, the thorns were doing over 400 damage return. Was plenty fun enough. :)

There's still more barb builds I want to try. Gotta work out one that uses Frenzy basic attack, More Berserking stuff... Double Swing got a big buff but I didn't get a chance to try it.
lvl 18 skill that does bleed damage instantly and bleeds everyone is terrible skill. First you spend time you could be doing better attacks to not do any extra damage that bleed would not do anyways. And that AoE bleed it does is worse than just doing another Rend that is bigger AoE. Also that lvl 18 bleed is very finicky to use well as it is single target with too slow animation, if in the chaos of combat you miss you just wasted it all while with Rend it is hard to miss everyone around you in melee combat.

Jimeh

Educated
Oh, Rupture, not Pulverize. Just looked it up.

I think you should give it another chance. Only 10 sec cooldown! Even if you totally ignore its basic function you still get the AOE bleed and +20% attack speed for 4 seconds. That means 40% of the time you have that attack speed which effects every skill. 20% more bleed basics, etc.

I think it's a skill a lot of people sleep on. Same with Lunging Strike, which also works OK for a bleed build if you pick the bonus bleeding damage passive. Still not as good as Flay.

It also has a 50% lucky hit chance, which is quite high. :)

I don't get the fury complaints, I played a Barb in both pc open betas (it's the closest class to a normal melee dude) and with Lunging Strike I always had full fury after about 3-4 hits(in just as many seconds). If I had at least 4 enemies around me I could spin endlessly until they were dead. I used passives that increased fury generation, particularly with twohanders.

The betas left me a good impression, it's not really my genre -so I'm not willing to pay 70bucks for it- but I'd be willing to play it more, particularly taking it slow doing the sidequests and ignoring the minmaxing (didn't even bother with stat sticks, just wore one big sword on the back)..

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh, Rupture, not Pulverize. Just looked it up.

I think you should give it another chance. Only 10 sec cooldown! Even if you totally ignore its basic function you still get the AOE bleed and +20% attack speed for 4 seconds. That means 40% of the time you have that attack speed which effects every skill. 20% more bleed basics, etc.

I think it's a skill a lot of people sleep on. Same with Lunging Strike, which also works OK for a bleed build if you pick the bonus bleeding damage passive. Still not as good as Flay.

It also has a 50% lucky hit chance, which is quite high. :)
You are wasting time using it. Just Rend and move on. If they get a legendary drop it is later teleported to your stash. And you do not need 40% bonus attack speed with Rend, you do not have Rage for it anyways.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't get the fury complaints, I played a Barb in both pc open betas (it's the closest class to a normal melee dude) and with Lunging Strike I always had full fury after about 3-4 hits(in just as many seconds). If I had at least 4 enemies around me I could spin endlessly until they were dead. I used passives that increased fury generation, particularly with twohanders.

The betas left me a good impression, it's not really my genre -so I'm not willing to pay 70bucks for it- but I'd be willing to play it more, particularly taking it slow doing the sidequests and ignoring the minmaxing (didn't even bother with stat sticks, just wore one big sword on the back)..
Those 3 hits takes forever and it is irritating.
Do you know how Sorc does it? Goes in doing Chain Lightning, killing all the mooks and then uses whatever it has for more regen to finish off the rare/champion. Same for Necro and similar for Rogue.
In D2 you just spin to win all the time without needing all this stupid shit. In PoE as well. Also there is no way you can spin to win endlessly in recent beta with 4 guys as you get 4 fury per hit (which is around 1 per second) and it costs 25 fury per second. At least one needs to be Elite and often many are ranged and outside of range of your Whirlwind that you then need to chase them around with your stupid slow basic attack..

Jimeh

Educated
Remember, this is only at level 20. Just wait and see what you can do with perks from the Paragon board along with ancestral tier unique aspects. Chances are super long spins will be something a high level barb can do quite easily.

Or just play Sorc!

I was having fun with my Sorc last beta. Chainlightning core and then everything from the conjuration tree and fire shield, iirc. Then with that Icy Blades enchantment that auto-summons more icy blades based on cooldowns spent to mana spent or whatever it was. Could just spam all your skills and have 4 or 5 icy blades clear the map for you.

I just find the melee guys more fun.

Edit. Wait, I think I had Frost Nova in there and not Hydra from Conjurations. :)

Lightning Arc, Chain Lightning, Frost Nova, Fire Shield, Icy Blades, Lightning Spear.

(Icy Blades was also a Lucky Hit machine!)

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
That's just another dumb youtuber regurgitating bullshit he probably doesn't even understand. Almost as bad as your understanding and projections of barb gameplay.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Pretty good video explaining how shitty D4 is:
https://youtu.be/5pzfiSggKvs
I agree with some of that. Not the difficulty scaling being as bad as he put it though. Unless someone has a physical disability or something, world tier 1 is always going to be a fallback to easy mode and allows for the player to progress despite bad drops for weapons. At worst, dropping it down, finding a weapon, and then going back up is a possibility.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I found the level scaling weird and it incentivizes players to zoom-zoom through the game Path of Exile style. Bosses were certainly far easier at level 4 than at level 18.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
This pretty much sums up that shitty world boss fight.

During the Server Slam, everyone had one goal in mind—to kill the world boss, Ashava, and claim their exclusive cosmetic. But the great beast only ended up being the perfect capstone to Diablo 4's problems. As Fraser discovered (opens in new tab), fighting it was just a long, tedious slog that made every part of your character feel meaningless. Playing a tanky build? Pointless, because you die in one hit from one of its enormous AoE attacks. Playing DPS? Enjoy watching an enormous healthbar achingly slowly tick down while you spam one spell that it has no visible reaction to. Playing support? No, you aren't—that doesn't exist. Playing a Necromancer? Sorry, all your skeletons got banished to Double Hell and they ain't coming back. All of that slow, tedious grinding of getting to level 20 culminated in an even slower, more tedious grind of a fight.

https://www.pcgamer.com/class-balan...diablo-4but-the-game-has-far-bigger-problems/

Artyoan

Arbiter
Thats just false. It flashes white when I hit it with my rapid fire. Thats how I knew I was pro and deserved to have the phallic horn trophy on my steed.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Level scaling is garbage and always will be.

I came across something on the official blizzard forums that went along the lines of "as soon as you get your first core skill, avoid exp because that's the strongest you'll ever be."

People who actually played the game, is this true?

:deathclaw:

abija

Prophet
Didn't you also notice all the complaints about low level players ruining world boss attempts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom