Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This pretty much sums up that shitty world boss fight.

During the Server Slam, everyone had one goal in mind—to kill the world boss, Ashava, and claim their exclusive cosmetic. But the great beast only ended up being the perfect capstone to Diablo 4's problems. As Fraser discovered (opens in new tab), fighting it was just a long, tedious slog that made every part of your character feel meaningless. Playing a tanky build? Pointless, because you die in one hit from one of its enormous AoE attacks. Playing DPS? Enjoy watching an enormous healthbar achingly slowly tick down while you spam one spell that it has no visible reaction to. Playing support? No, you aren't—that doesn't exist. Playing a Necromancer? Sorry, all your skeletons got banished to Double Hell and they ain't coming back. All of that slow, tedious grinding of getting to level 20 culminated in an even slower, more tedious grind of a fight.

https://www.pcgamer.com/class-balan...diablo-4but-the-game-has-far-bigger-problems/

Typical in this kind of MMOish games. The only truly MMO experience (most other things are just co-op) are the world bosses and they suck because of the scaling and low level participants.
Asian games kinda got better by making tanking classes also somewhat supportive but still less useful than an actual support or a damage dealer.

ArchAngel

Arcane

During the Server Slam, everyone had one goal in mind—to kill the world boss, Ashava, and claim their exclusive cosmetic. But the great beast only ended up being the perfect capstone to Diablo 4's problems. As Fraser discovered (opens in new tab), fighting it was just a long, tedious slog that made every part of your character feel meaningless. Playing a tanky build? Pointless, because you die in one hit from one of its enormous AoE attacks. Playing DPS? Enjoy watching an enormous healthbar achingly slowly tick down while you spam one spell that it has no visible reaction to. Playing support? No, you aren't—that doesn't exist. Playing a Necromancer? Sorry, all your skeletons got banished to Double Hell and they ain't coming back. All of that slow, tedious grinding of getting to level 20 culminated in an even slower, more tedious grind of a fight.

https://www.pcgamer.com/class-balan...diablo-4but-the-game-has-far-bigger-problems/
Not really true, my barbarian survived a bunch of attacks with low life, even when I had no barrier up. I still died a bunch, a few due to poison because I randomly went to do Ashava as I was not tracking when it is happening and did zero preparation for it.
Overall fight was stupid and I would not do it again. It was especially stupid for melee with need to dodge way more mechanics than ranged did.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Dude is one of the more analytical and calm PoE streamers and has some insightful takes:

tl;dw:
- druid is weak
- all quests feel like menial fetch quests, because they make you walk through the same zones with the same monsters multiple times (compares it to PoE and why it doesn't have the same feel there)
- many aspects of the game are too slow paced for the modern age and clash with the genre and the game itself
- slow walk speed/big towns seem like an excuse to put mounts into the game
- level scaling system basically kills the entire game (goes into a long analysis of why)
- compares the writing to S8 of Game of Thrones
- warns about the trajectory Blizzard has been taking with their monetary policy

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pretty good video explaining how shitty D4 is:
https://youtu.be/5pzfiSggKvs
I agree with some of that. Not the difficulty scaling being as bad as he put it though. Unless someone has a physical disability or something, world tier 1 is always going to be a fallback to easy mode and allows for the player to progress despite bad drops for weapons. At worst, dropping it down, finding a weapon, and then going back up is a possibility.

It's no-brainer that you should level up on Tier 1, the xp bonus is too small to compensate for the clear speed you will get from shitting on the mobs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not really true, my barbarian survived a bunch of attacks with low life, even when I had no barrier up. I still died a bunch, a few due to poison because I randomly went to do Ashava as I was not tracking when it is happening and did zero preparation for it.
Overall fight was stupid and I would not do it again. It was especially stupid for melee with need to dodge way more mechanics than ranged did.

I disagree, that fight is harder if you stay at a distance. Either you get too far out of range, so your attacks don't connect, or you have to dodge the fuckhuge sweep that will one shot you if you touch any part of it. Hugging its nuts allows you to sit in the eye of the storm and dodge the occasional telegraphed slam which is far easier and you can tank a hit of most or all of its attacks, as long as you weren't sitting in its fart clouds.

Once I figured it out, I was engaging with it point blank, even using a sorc.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I disagree, that fight is harder if you stay at a distance. Either you get too far out of range, so your attacks don't connect, or you have to dodge the fuckhuge sweep that will one shot you if you touch any part of it. Hugging its nuts allows you to sit in the eye of the storm and dodge the occasional telegraphed slam which is far easier and you can tank a hit of most or all of its attacks, as long as you weren't sitting in its fart clouds.

Well fart clouds are killer for melee. With ranged you can mostly ignore it. I spent more time trying to get into melee where I am not in fart cloud instead of doing damage. You are talking shit.
Hydra and firewall do not care for any of these problems.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Well fart clouds are killer for melee. With ranged you can mostly ignore it. I spent more time trying to get into melee where I am not in fart cloud instead of doing damage. You are talking shit.
I'm not talking shit, I'm talking from the experience of fighting the stupid thing on various classes and getting buttfucked down to equipment breakage at range and not dying much at all at melee. Here's a hint, don't stand in the fart clouds and take a mobility skill other than your space bar dodge.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I'm not talking shit, I'm talking from the experience of fighting the stupid thing on various classes and getting buttfucked down to equipment breakage at range and not dying much at all at melee. Here's a hint, don't stand in the fart clouds and take a mobility skill other than your space bar dodge.
You are not understanding what I am saying. Staying alive is only half that battle (or 1/3), doing damage is what you are supposed to do and you spend too much time not doing that while melee. And melee are not tanky enough to just be targets for Ashava like the guy said in video.

Last edited:

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Level scaling is garbage and always will be.

I came across something on the official blizzard forums that went along the lines of "as soon as you get your first core skill, avoid exp because that's the strongest you'll ever be."

People who actually played the game, is this true?

:deathclaw:
There's no way to avoid exp. But yes, the level scaling is terrible.

abija

Prophet
You are not understand what I am saying. Staying alive is only half that battle (or 1/3), doing damage is what you are supposed to do and you spend too much time not doing that while melee. And melee are not tanky enough to just be targets for Ashava like the guy said in video.

You are bad and present your horrible conclusions based on extremely limited experience as facts. Did it even cross your mind to at least check youtube or something? Maybe, somehow, the most improbable thing happened and you were wrong...

Jimeh

Educated

You are not understanding what I am saying. Staying alive is only half that battle (or 1/3), doing damage is what you are supposed to do and you spend too much time not doing that while melee. And melee are not tanky enough to just be targets for Ashava like the guy said in video.
Fuck the guy in the video; he doesn't know shit. Attention whoring e-celebs and their retarded reaction face thumbnails are cancer.

Mediocrepoet is right. The fight is trivial when you know it. Just hug his arse. In phase 2 he does a very obvious attack with 2 circles so you know to move away from his rear attack.

I did the server slam world boss with a melee rogue and barb and didn't die. Using Dash on the rogue I could keep the DPS on pretty much non-stop but the cooldown on leap with barb made me take a little longer to get back to him when he moved. Still beat him with enough time left to exit the game and rejoin for another boss fight just to help out other players.

Jimeh

Educated
Why are you even playing this
Technically I'm waiting to play it and shitposting on forums while queuing for dota2 games until its out.

Another answer would be because there's nothing else I want to play and its a good game.

I understand the "nu-blizzard" hate, which was warranted, but things change and can change again. Keep an open mind and it's pretty clear to see what we have here is a fantastic foundation for an ARPG. Nothings perfect and enjoyment in all things is subjective but, without a doubt, a lot of people will love this game and should forget what they think they know about Blizzard.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It was a free demo weekend and these are desperate times.
I wanted to see if I'd want to pick it up since I used to love Diablo. Glad I did, I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe later on steep discount but probably not.

Reading earlier comments, the target market for this game are people who don't understand that you can stand still in the eye of the storm spamming attacks and move back and forth, probably with instant move or move + damage abilities to avoid the telegraphed circles of doom. Mouth breathers who find moving back and forth while dps spamming to be challenging.

Tl;Dr this is the best action rpg aimed at the traumatic brain injury victim demographic.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The fight wasn't fun. Once you figure it out, doesnt mean everyone else will. The way their phasing works, your initial people who are there for the fight are your unofficial group. My friend told me what to do when he seen I was having trouble. Nobody else figured it out. The thought of using voice chat with these people is not a pleasant one. Since they put the graveyard spawn point just a stones throw away, it became one large zerg fest. People dying, getting some hits in, dying, ad infinitum. In announces who dies in your mmo chat window. Not sure what happened to some of their armor as it has durability of 10% loss on death. I know there were people who died more than that. I think there was like 3 mins left on the fight. It was boring, tedious, and unrewarding. Combine that with brown Leah 2.0 being the central figure, the lazy writing, and the thought of giving NuBlizzard any money, I couldnt uninstall it fast enough.

Last edited:

Jimeh

Educated
Tl;Dr this is the best action rpg aimed at the traumatic brain injury victim demographic.

Ahh, right. The old "traumatic brain injury victim" demographic. Creative. I'm sure the codex boy choir will love that.

But how else could this be expressed?

For a less creative but still negative spin one might call this demographic the "lowest common denominator".

One the stockholders might appreciate would be "accessible", which is the world Blizzard has been using since Diablo 1 days. After all, isn't Diablo 1 just a filthy casuel take on the roguelike formula designed for the traumatic brain injury victim demographic who can't interpret the ASCII? What, you need graphics?! omg, I'm sorry for your loss.

You won't like me putting words in your mouth but is what you're really trying to say "D4 is the best and most accessible ARPG ever"?

Look, you know, some people have a spare $70 and some have poorfag copium posts on codex. It's all good. Maybe ask your mom to buy it for you for your birthday?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Look, you know, some people have a spare $70 and some have poorfag copium posts on codex. It's all good. Maybe ask your mom to buy it for you for your birthday?

I don't think its an issue of affordability. Is it that difficult to understand that some people were willing to give d4 a chance but quickly realized that giving Blizzard money for what amounts to something they dislike would be a waste? Just because someone has a lot of expendable money (I have a feeling you will be getting the 100 version) doesn't mean you have to waste it.

What's it matter if someone thinks to enjoy a favorite game of yours that you need to be a moron anyways? Enjoy D4.

I always play Diablo. D4 coming out even made me go back and play through D1-2-3 again over the last month, not for the story (Because fuck the story of all Diablo games that aren't 1) but it's fun to have a reminder on the different styles of monster clicking.

Speaking of which, enough with you goddamn nerds posting links to idiots talking on Youtube here's the power rankings for dead women in the Diablo franchise because the dead women make it EXTRA sophisticated.
#1 Diablo 2 Resurrected. Absolutely fantastic, buckets of gore, tits and ass, strewn around dungeons after being tastefully raped. The pinnacle of dead woman technology.
#2 Diablo 2. Similar to D2R though not as detailed. Whoever handled the remaster clearly knew what they were doing but the original is still a high point even though the game at large isn't as appealing as D1.
#3 Diablo 1. It's lacking in dead-woman-clutter that the two versions of D2 have but it does get bonus points for the succubi which haven't been bested in any other Diablo. That death moan, that animation, the fact that they teleport away and you chase them down, excellent.
#4 Diablo 4. Could potentially move up the list but despite the graphics being fantastic it's sadly lacking in the dead women department but since I've only seen the snowy area it may change later. They're going for "Oooo bloody meat walls" more than anything and when you do find some random dead bastard they aren't up to par with a D2R corpse. This also could be because the graphics scale better since I have to admit D4 has better performance than D2R.
#5 Diablo 3. Unsurprisingly D3's the worst of the bunch when it comes to graphics. I love the game to pieces but I struggle to even think of any dead women in it despite playing it for hundreds of hours.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Ahh, right. The old "traumatic brain injury victim" demographic. Creative. I'm sure the codex boy choir will love that.

But how else could this be expressed?

For a less creative but still negative spin one might call this demographic the "lowest common denominator".

One the stockholders might appreciate would be "accessible", which is the world Blizzard has been using since Diablo 1 days. After all, isn't Diablo 1 just a filthy casuel take on the roguelike formula designed for the traumatic brain injury victim demographic who can't interpret the ASCII? What, you need graphics?! omg, I'm sorry for your loss.

You won't like me putting words in your mouth but is what you're really trying to say "D4 is the best and most accessible ARPG ever"?

Yes. We are discussing this because I can't afford it. The brain damage shit was actually directed at Archangel for his posts but your response indicates I was more on the money than I figured.

Enjoy the game, stop huffing paint.

Jimeh

Educated
Yes. We are discussing this because I can't afford it. The brain damage shit was actually directed at Archangel for his posts but your response indicates I was more on the money than I figured.

Enjoy the game, stop huffing paint.
Oh, please don't hurt me with your witty sarcasm! Ouch!

I don't give a shit about Archangel. He's retarded and so is everyone who wastes time in a Diablo4 thread when they don't even like the game. What the fuck are you all doing?

But, seriously, your mom won't buy it for your or what? Did she say you should be focusing on your homework and not playing games? :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom