Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Tigranes

Arcane
Whining about the guy having an Arcanum forum avatar is as retarded as you can get from a dude who says everybody is being unfair.

I'm having fun, I'm glad it's getting good reviews/sales and I think it's a good game in many ways (primarily as a content filled turn-based action RPG of sorts), but Luckmann TLDR was all on-point and from a RPG systems / tactics point of view the game is a mess & worse than DOS1.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
not a storyfag company.
That's not what they think, unfortunately.
Hmmm Larian did have some good story games.Dragon commanded have some good writing,shame that the strategy is that shallow.Beyond Divinity is very original story,and the writing is on par.Loved how you were learning to read and speak the alien language.I remember how i was keeping every unread book until i was able to read it.

MWaser

Arbiter
Breaking news, people can have different opinions about the game. If you find aspects of the game frustrating, you will complain about them, it's not about trying to be nitpicky.

In the case of this thread, Lucckman was pointing out things that he felt were major issues about the game because he saw them as taking away from enjoying the experience as a whole. This is different from noticing issues in a game as you play, but them ultimately not being big enough of a bother that you go and write a giant wall of text about their mechanics and what steps could be made (in your opinion) to fix them.

If anyone thinks the majority of the complains in this thread exist for the sake of nitpicking and complaining for the sake of complaining, then you're all clearly missing the point. Even people who bring out the review scores merely do it because even if they enjoy the game or think it's good in multiple levels but unenjoyable due to a clusterfuck of broken-ass mechanics, they're doing it to show that, in their opinion, this scoring is not done in a fully objective or thorough manner. In fact, I'm quite sure a lot of people who would rate the game a 9/10 or 10/10 after the first chapter or two could change their opinions later due to an increasing amount of glaring issues that you notice as the game piles up nonsense that you have to deal with.
In that case, pointing out that a 9/10 or 10/10 score for a game they wouldn't give a score beyond 7/10, regardless of their enjoyment of it or not, and calling it shilling or the people scoring and reviewing them "stoopid causals" is just a form of expressing their disappointment with how the issues they have seem to be blatantly looked over, and perhaps worry over the fact that if the game seems to be doing amazingly both in scores and sales regardless of its issues that it reduces the chances of the big issues being fixed in the way that is desirable to them.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can absolutely see why people would have many complaints about the game.

Mine are still armor system is not my cup of tea and the way enemies that are above your level can sometimes destroy you no matter what. The way stats go up and how you need to buy equipment (not that I dislike getting new equipment, the scaling is broken) that scales is a bit broken. Animations in combat are slow, but that is a complaint I had in the first game.

The thing for me is: I'm having fun. It has solid content coupled with some not so solid content. I'm happy the game is getting positive reviews. We need more of these types of games (turn-based rpgs), and despite some flaws, I am finding the game to be enjoyable.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Sure, some things need improvement and a couple of bugs need to be fixed but out of the gate it's maybe the most complete rpg experience since BG2 and less flawed at release than most Codex classics from yesteryear.
Frankly it's a miracle the game works as well as it does. Baldur's Gate and NWN had restrictions placed on multiplayer to keep them from turning into a logistical nightmare, but DOS2 lets up to four human players run roughshod around the map independently. I'm only just starting to understand how ambitious that is. It's a topic that'll keep the journalists busy for years.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm starting to dread fights, and this is a bad sign. I just get bored imagining how I'll have to figure out how to survive for 2-3 turns until I strip the armor of enemies. It wasn't as bothersome while the numbers were lower...

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I agree with some of the general negative opinions about the new mechanics but some people are just being hyperbolic in the extreme. Like the complaint that the alternating turn system destroys all strategy and makes all planning impossible.

You hear that Chess players? The fact that your opponent gets a turn every time you do ruins all planning and strategy! No fair!

There's no need to make up silly axioms to make your point stronger. Games that let you take turns uninterrupted by the enemy are pretty rare. Even in games like X-com or Jagged Alliance the enemies can still make reaction shots during your moves to jam you up. Fully predictive initiative systems are a more recent innovation and far from common.

MWaser

Arbiter
I'm starting to dread fights, and this is a bad sign. I just get bored imagining how I'll have to figure out how to survive for 2-3 turns until I strip the armor of enemies. It wasn't as bothersome while the numbers were lower...
But mah boy, your damage should have progressed at the rate where the increased values for the enemies shouldn't really change much of the results.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
By the way, is it just a weird coincidence, or does the enemy AI actually position its characters to avoid backstabs when it's reasonable? I swear I've had at least a couple situations where I couldn't walk behind something after it purposefully moved to a new spot.

Jinn

Arcane
By the way, is it just a weird coincidence, or does the enemy AI actually position its characters to avoid backstabs when it's reasonable? I swear I've had at least a couple situations where I couldn't walk behind something after it purposefully moved to a new spot.

I've observed this many times. I'm certain that's what they are doing.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sure there is also the guy with the Arcanum avatar going on incessantly about the supposed systemic failures of this game. The irony! :lol:
I can go ahead and shit on Arcanum for a week, if that makes you happy, it's just that it's about 16 years too late, you muppet. Arcanum was an amazing, amazing game, but it was broken in so many more ways than D:OS2 is, even if Arcanum more than made up for it as a whole in other parts.

And in case you missed it - and you likely did, seeing as how you're a cum-guzzling fuckwit - I actually like D:OS2.

That's why I'm criticizing it. If I wanted to do was nitpick and bitch, I could've just done that and been done with it, but that has never resulted in a better game in the history of game development. While intentionally harsh, and harsher on the worse points, all of the criticism was constructive when even remotely possible - the only one where I have no answers or suggestions is on the Attributes, because I simply have no idea how to resolve it without relevant subsystems. It also wasn't like most of this criticism wasn't already pre-existing; I merely compiled it.
Sure, some things need improvement and a couple of bugs need to be fixed but out of the gate it's maybe the most complete rpg experience since BG2 and less flawed at release than most Codex classics from yesteryear.
Frankly it's a miracle the game works as well as it does. Baldur's Gate and NWN had restrictions placed on multiplayer to keep them from turning into a logistical nightmare, but DOS2 lets up to four human players run roughshod around the map independently. I'm only just starting to understand how ambitious that is. It's a topic that'll keep the journalists busy for years.
The journalists won't even care in 6 months. They don't even understand what a massive fucking achievement that is.

Mine are still armor system is not my cup of tea and the way enemies that are above your level can sometimes destroy you no matter what. The way stats go up and how you need to buy equipment (not that I dislike getting new equipment, the scaling is broken) that scales is a bit broken. Animations in combat are slow, but that is a complaint I had in the first game.

The thing for me is: I'm having fun. It has solid content coupled with some not so solid content. I'm happy the game is getting positive reviews. We need more of these types of games (turn-based rpgs), and despite some flaws, I am finding the game to be enjoyable.
Yeah, I really should've addressed the scaling and the numbers bloat, but for some reason, it completely slipped my mind. In my defense, it was all written in two (-ish) sittings spread over 4 days or something.

The scaling really is grotesque.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
You hear that Chess players? The fact that your opponent gets a turn every time you do ruins all planning and strategy! No fair!
That's a really shitty strawman, and I really pray I don't need to explain to anyone why.

How is it a strawman? People keep saying they need uninterrupted consecutive turns for the game to have any strategy; I'm not making that up, and if I'm misrepresenting that argument, please clarify.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
That's a really shitty strawman, and I really pray I don't need to explain to anyone why.

How is it a strawman? People keep saying they need uninterrupted consecutive turns for the game to have any strategy; I'm not making that up, and if I'm misrepresenting that argument, please clarify.
Now, I realize that this might be hard for you to grasp. Just try to follow along in the argument, take your time, and consider each part of it. I'll try to go easy on you, not raise my voice, and be with you every step of the way. Do you think you can do that?

Ok? Good.

Now, pay attention, so it doesn't slip past you.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 isn't fucking chess you insufferable cocksucker.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

Now, I realize that this might be hard for you to grasp. Just try to follow along in the argument, take your time, and consider each part of it. I'll try to go easy on you, not raise my voice, and be with you every step of the way. Do you think you can do that?

Ok? Good.

Now, pay attention, so it doesn't slip past you.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 isn't fucking chess you insufferable cocksucker.

Did you fail analogies in college or something?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The heavy MMORPG influence has its psychological benefits with the average player, which certainly helped the game's reception and sales, but it'll hurt the game's...completion rate

Not entirely certain about that. http://steamcommunity.com/stats/230230/achievements http://steamcommunity.com/stats/435150/achievements
24% of D:OS Classic players finished Act 1. 30% have completed D:OS 2's act 1.

Of course there's a gap with the ending achievements but D:OS 2 hasn't been out long enough for most people to even complete it.

Nice of them to break down the ending achievements by difficulty to see where most of the audience is though. 1.1% for explorer, .7% for classic, and .2% for tactician so far.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh boy the final part of the game is a broken mess.

Spoilers below but for starters - if you're tempted to enter the Covenant with the God King or to make a pact with the Arch-demon, I'd not recommend it. I've tried both the evil endings and it's kindda shit. Why do developers hate evil?

As I said in my previous comment, playing as Fane and entering the Covenant is a terrible idea because the game either bugs out or you have to solo the final fight, at least up until you kill Dallis, after which Braccus summons the God King army. What happens then beats me since killing Dallis solo is impossible for my wizard Fane. I'd have to respec and equip the Anathema but I'm too lazy to repeat the final fight, plus I had more than my fill with this game half-way through. Arx was just a boring slog.

And second, if you make the pact with Adramahlikh he promises he'll help you with the final fight. But the faggot only comes in after all it's done, after you kill both Braccus' army and Lucian. Then he gives you a choice to keep your pact or renege on it. If you renege he just kills you.

Btw another bug - if Lucian kills Braccus while your party is invisible he just kills himself (enters the end game dialogue), lol.

Oh and the game froze twice during the final battle, had to repeat that shit over and over again. Absolutely NO freezes up until that point.

Final slideshow is terrible.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

The game is literally built around having normal initiative mechanics. It is like trying to drive a car without a steering wheel.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
10/10 from Gamespot: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/divinity-original-sin-2-review/1900-6416769/

THE GOOD

Spectacular scope and depth that could easily keep you playing for over 100 hours
Detailed plot set in a world that seems completely lived in and authentic
Expansive tactical combat with seemingly unlimited options based on spells, skills, gear, and ever-changing battlefield terrain
Deep character creation and customization options due to extensive ability and skill options
Beautiful visuals along with an evocative musical score and impressive voiced dialogue

THE BAD

Confusing journal makes it hard to keep track of individual quests and the plot

Selected comments for fun:

I wonder how much the stupid PC game corporation that makes all this nonsense and also stuff like Starcarft is paying GS for this nonesne! Play games on your couch with a controller people not hunkered over a typewriter and mouse looking at some computer on the internet!

This game does not deserve a 10. Just by the mere fact that it uses turns. A game needs to be liked by the majority to be considered a 10; this game does not appeal to the majority, even if its good.

Gamespot must be trolling this game is not a 10, do you know how many great games gamespot reviewed and gave them a bad score but they choose to give this game a 10 I just cannot take you guys seriously.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Sure there is also the guy with the Arcanum avatar going on incessantly about the supposed systemic failures of this game. The irony! :lol:
I can go ahead and shit on Arcanum for a week, if that makes you happy, it's just that it's about 16 years too late, you muppet. Arcanum was an amazing, amazing game, but it was broken in so many more ways than D:OS2 is, even if Arcanum more than made up for it as a whole in other parts.

And in case you missed it - and you likely did, seeing as how you're a cum-guzzling fuckwit - I actually like D:OS2.

That's why I'm criticizing it. If I wanted to do was nitpick and bitch, I could've just done that and been done with it, but that has never resulted in a better game in the history of game development. While intentionally harsh, and harsher on the worse points, all of the criticism was constructive when even remotely possible - the only one where I have no answers or suggestions is on the Attributes, because I simply have no idea how to resolve it without relevant subsystems. It also wasn't like most of this criticism wasn't already pre-existing; I merely compiled it.
The journalists won't even care in 6 months. They don't even understand what a massive fucking achievement that is.

Yeah, I really should've addressed the scaling and the numbers bloat, but for some reason, it completely slipped my mind. In my defense, it was all written in two (-ish) sittings spread over 4 days or something.

The scaling really is grotesque.
what the fuck are you people talking about? world of warcraft let 10 million people run around the map independently. what does that achieve?

Murk

Arcane

Definitely intentional, and they're surprisingly apt at it too.

They're also decent about using the environmental effects against me -- including aiming a ricochet or shield throw at a barrel or corpse to then hit me with the subsequent attack (or targeting the floor.)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

The game is literally built around having normal initiative mechanics. It is like trying to drive a car without a steering wheel.

That implies you have no control over your characters; you can't "steer" them, when obviously you can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom