Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Are there any serpents in this game? I need a new avatar. :(

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So, how "done" does the beta feel? Does it seem like it will make the April 25 release date?
Betting my marbles it won't. In the latest video Sven says that the next *patch will be around that date, and they are still deciding on final featureset for release. I'd call end of May or early June.

Stabbey

Learned
I don't have an exact timestamp, but if I remember right, in recent updates or the Q&A session, Swen said something about seeing how the game takes shape "over the next couple of months", which suggests that he's thinking the release will be the end of May at the earliest.

Perkel

Arcane
No way they will reach april date.

They also said in one update they will release it when it is ready. They had too much experience with rushed games and they don't want to release games like that without proper polish

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ugh, I've already spoiled myself sufficiently in the alpha, such that spoiling myself in the beta is painful. I need to take a long break from Cyseal.

It's the same problem BG2 had with Irenicus' dungeon. You're exposed to the same content again and again everytime you start a new game. Not much to be done about it though.

I like the new witchcraft skills. Will a player's choice of class background have any reference in the game I wonder. There's a pretty big difference between the Witch and the Knight storywise. I get the feeling though that beyond the mechanical effects, it will have as great an impact as Arcanum's background choices. It'd be cool to have Age of Decadence like dialogue that occasionally rely on or reference background class.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
i bought it on kickstarter. haven't played any further than the first crab battle. had a look at the new intro and first fight but thats it. waiting for them to finish it before i go any further.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Today I met a giant talking sea shell and could choose whether to throw it into the ocean again or sell it to a merchant for cash.

Yep, this game's gonna be fucking awesome.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Today I met a giant talking sea shell and could choose whether to throw it into the ocean again or sell it to a merchant for cash.

Yep, this game's gonna be fucking awesome.
Have you not played the alpha?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how much feedback Larian is getting, considering how a significant, or at least vocal proportion of people seem to be willing to just wait for release.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No worries, they are getting feedback much faster than they can process it, which is as it should be at current development state.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Does Divinity 2 have any relation to Divine Divinity? (characters, plot, races, world etc)?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does Divinity 2 have any relation to Divine Divinity? (characters, plot, races, world etc)?
Yes, it's a sequel that takes place (time) a few decades after the first game, but it's not a direct continuation of the plot, rather a separate story that happens after the events of Divine Divinity. Some characters appear in both. The world is the same, obviously.

Divine Divinity is kind of an origin story for Divinity 2's villain, among other things.

bonescraper

In other words, no, it's completely unrelated. Nothing bares any resemblence to Divinity 2, even the visual style.

I couldn't care less though. Every Larian game is set in Rivellon, but they're as related to each other as the Final Fantasy games. It's not like their strenghts lie in creating interesting worlds or anything.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
The first 3 Divinities are all set within the same arc of trying to defeat Damian, and DC and D:OS are from before. I wonder if actually finishing off that Damian dude is reserved for the RPG-to-dwarf-them-all.

bonescraper

That's a bit of a strech. Damian is Divinity's Chocobo.

anus_pounder

Arcane
The first 3 Divinities are all set within the same arc of trying to defeat Damian, and DC and D:OS are from before. I wonder if actually finishing off that Damian dude is reserved for the RPG-to-dwarf-them-all.

Not that I particularly care but, we're still in past-history territory with Original Sin? :?

huh

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm asking because i played Divine Divinity and have Divinity 2 in my library (from some bundle or such) and was wondering if i should play it.

Snozgobler

Educated

Not that I particularly care but, we're still in past-history territory with Original Sin? :?

huh

Yes, I'm pretty sure they said that Original Sin is set far in the past, and the cat from Divine Divinity who tells you his name is Arhu is one and the same as he man Arhu in OS.

I've not had a chance to play the beta yet, but I watched the stream. During the stream I asked a question that unfortunately didn't get answered, but if any of you know it I'd love to hear.
Zombie: Makes poison heal you and regular healing potions and spells hurt you.
Leech: Standing in blood heals you

If you are a Zombie Leech, does standing in blood hurt you? I would hope it would, even though it would be "punishing" you for spending your scarce talent points badly.

I assume that Leech actually makes blood pools disappear too as they are sucked up into you, so if you're a Zombie Leech, would that make pools of poison pools disappear too? That would make for an interesting way to get your allies around some environmental puzzles (I know you can always just use the teleporter pyramids if you want to, but I prefer seeing this to its logical end!)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ugh, I've already spoiled myself sufficiently in the alpha, such that spoiling myself in the beta is painful. I need to take a long break from Cyseal.

It's the same problem BG2 had with Irenicus' dungeon. You're exposed to the same content again and again everytime you start a new game. Not much to be done about it though.

Yar. That's my worry too. I couldn't resist so I finally loaded the beta up just to check it out and am so impressed with the improvements so far that I'm tempted to keep playing if not for this same reason. I did just about everything you could in the alpha and I know they unlocked Cyseal, but can anybody clue me in as to how much content is planned and how much is in the current beta? This answer might go a long way in my decision of leaving the tutorial cave or just shutting it down until final release.

Gord

Arcane
I think they said something like the current Beta being ~30% of the total game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom