Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Does GOG provide classic? They don't have a store page for it specifically like steam does.
Contact GOG support, they'll give the Classic version if you have the EE in your library.

SniperHF

Arcane
You can zoom out and turn the camera in classic

Classic:
the fixed perspective hides some of the map flaws, and the colors are less exaggerated.

So in classic you can't zoom in/out or rotate the camera?

In EE I found rotating the camera essential to, for example, get in certain buildings, go around corners in caves etc.

Bit short hand on my part, but Sully is correct you can rotate about 90 degrees or so by default. In the menus they later added an option "unlock full rotation" or something to that effect. But it outright warns you that if you rotate 360 degrees you'll see map flaws and objects that aren't painted on both sides and such. It was originally intended to be just the small amount of rotation. In the EE they cleared up that stuff and 360 rotation is the default and only option.

You could always zoom.

JDR13

Arcane
Just started playing this for the first time since the original version was released. I didn't make it very far in my first playthrough, but I intend to finish it this time.

I'm going with a figher and a Geo/Pyro mage. Is it possible to be good at archery on the side or would that be spreading skills too thin? I should just go for max ST and INT on the fighter and mage respectively right?

Also, do most people use the AI option for the second character's dialogue, or is it better to manually handle dialogue for both characters?

chuft

Augur
You can get followers. One of them is an archer. The others are rogue, melee fighter and mage. Use two to fill out the roles you didn’t go with and use the other two for crafting etc.

Reality

Learned
Just started playing this for the first time since the original version was released. I didn't make it very far in my first playthrough, but I intend to finish it this time.

I'm going with a figher and a Geo/Pyro mage. Is it possible to be good at archery on the side or would that be spreading skills too thin? I should just go for max ST and INT on the fighter and mage respectively right?

Also, do most people use the AI option for the second character's dialogue, or is it better to manually handle dialogue for both characters?

Guides will tell you to manually handle dialog for both charathers (for min-maxing personality traits) but I didn't do it and the bonus are super small anyway.

Almost every guide will tell you to multiclass like crazy, and this is fine ~ Spreading thin won't penalize you too far, because for in my opinion, the Novice skills are the most versatile throughout the entire game with the only other "essential" being Adept Water and Adept Witchcraft (and any summoning spell, they're all broken)

Getting a huge amount of Novice skills across different categories costs fewer points than getting Adept Master in just a few categories - but I had enough to get 2 Master skills, and I think 3 other things up to Adept level and I finished the underleveled.

The other thing about "multi-classing" is Raw attribute points - Generally you want 8, 10, 12 to cast Novice/Adept/Master spells without penalty, and 15 for weapon equipment (bow/sword)

These are a LOT more limiting than skill points, but you can reach attributes to cast spells or equip things too hard for your charather with Amulets / Belts / Rings.

The consensus on these is that as far as INT go, there is little reason to go past 12 INT even on mages (I personally disagree, but it works for the community),
Strength is 15 for melee attackers, with 8 or 10 being really nice on mages (because they can use Man at Arms novice spells as utily AND self buff of Rage applies to magic damage despite the wording)
DEX is just 8 if you want someone like a main charather to cheese trap BS with walk on air and invisibility, 12 if you want to fight with daggers, and 15 if you want to fight with bows.

For my personal playthrough I did what you first planned (MAX STR fighter, MAX INT MAGE) - This actually works really well - Having points over the requirements adds 5% status inflict per chance, and the way resistances work is "mostly" in 15% increments (per point of Bodybuilding/Willpower)….. so instead of taking the base 100% inflict and subtracing 45% on a lategame enemy (such as the final boss) you can drill through their resistance and chain CC them even with your Battering Ram and Crushing Fist from the Novice level...

The reason that the larger community don't see much value in this is that this game has spell called "Drain willpower" which is essentially Greater Malison from Baldur's Gate 2 that lets you lower enemy Willpower and set them up to be chain CC by just draining their resistance to 0. //// I think it's worth noting that their is no Drain Bodybuilding, and that fewer boss enemies have Hard-coded immunities to bodybuilding status effects like Knockdown and Blind than immunities to willpower status effects, so I really liked my High STR Figther even though all the guides said he was overkill ---

JDR13

Arcane
Thanks. Will I be able to find gear with decent attribute boosts? Also, is it worthwhile to spends points in blacksmithing/crafting on one of my main characters?

chuft

Augur
A main character (or NPC you always have with you in fights) should have Lore because it lets you see monster stats/resistances - the higher the Lore, the more you see.

Crafting and blacksmithing you can save for the NPCs that you keep at home. The four main ones will level up even if they're not with you. Don't hire any henchmen; they won't level up if they're not in the party all the time.

catfood

AGAIN
I found lore to be useless. Most of the enemies have obvious resistances/weaknesses. There are a lot of undead, elementals and the like. Plus once you fight one enemy type you'll figure out on your own which spells work on them and which won't. Also you can identify items in Cyseal.

chuft

Augur
My experience was quite different, and often groups of enemies had individuals with very different resistances which affected my spell choices. Admittedly I have only played through level 6.

JDR13

Arcane
Crafting and blacksmithing you can save for the NPCs that you keep at home. The four main ones will level up even if they're not with you. Don't hire any henchmen; they won't level up if they're not in the party all the time.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have the NPC wizard be my crafter/blacksmith since he starts with the Scientist talent and gets a bonus to both skills.

I assume it's good to have one of my main characters have 1 point in them though so I can at least repair weapons/armor and craft healing potions while exploring.

catfood

AGAIN

Yeah, I think I'm going to have the NPC wizard be my crafter/blacksmith since he starts with the Scientist talent and gets a bonus to both skills.

I assume it's good to have one of my main characters have 1 point in them though so I can at least repair weapons/armor and craft healing potions while exploring.
Crafting isn't really worth it. I almost never touched it and I never felt that I lost anything. Maybe you could forge some powerful weapons idk, but the game is already quite easy anyway.

chuft

Augur
Yes crafting and blacksmithing will let you repair items and craft potions, which can be handy on the road. I believe the skill level limits what you can repair, and certainly what you can craft, though.

Keep in mind you will find, in shops and loot, items which boost these skills, so probably best not to spend points on them with your mains. You can always equip the items when needed.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It was voted a modern classic so you should at least give Cyseal a try, it's the best part.

Actually, this part is really good, the game would have been better if the ending was close.
The decline starts with the snow area, particularly the dungeon filled with traps, the first part is alright, once again but the second part when you come back to it is just retarded, looks like a platformer with deadly traps every other step with mini shitty puzzles to go through, this part is even worse with the EE.

And then the forest, which is filled with so much trash mobs as well, like if they wanted to add a maximum of shit but didn't have enough time to polish it or even make it interesting, there's still some interesting encounters and quests but there's so much shit to shovel to get to it it's painful.

Still a very good game until you leave the Cyseal area, in spite of the mmo itemization and the cooldown decline.

Reality

Learned
I wrote in my old review good combat level 1-11 bad combat 12-20

It's pretty much a 4 ACT game...…. but some story triggers will go off without prerequisites so you can technically do things out of order if you can handle some underlevled combat.

My first playthrough I accidentally skipped ACT 2 (Hiberheim snow area) completely, so the quality/dificiulty drop off ACT 3 Luculla area was less noticable for me due to being underleveled.

Puzzles are awful - you are going to spam novice invisbility/teleport/Featherfoot to cheese through them on sight, and later on you might just put 100% fire resist and walk a chaarather through the lava traps and be done with it. Failure to cheese puzzles basically means walking into a JA2 style "booby trapped house", and yes it's dragged out to at least 3 full size dungeons and about 10ish room-2room mini challenges. .Story and humor ---- I actually feel like there is a place for a "beer and pretzel" CRPG, but this isn't it, feels like idk 3/4 of the writing team wanted it 1 guy "but guys... we gotta stop the darkness" and the drastic tone shift both the humor(which is on shaky ground to begin with) and the drama with a couple of the worst cases in point.

Epic lich that sits on a mountain of corpses and can only be defeated by fleeing the actual lich, going to its tomb, and burning the body ends up being a joke about bestialty // another lich who lorewise is the greatest black wizard in history and the reason the "paladin" order was founded in the first place... after all his buildup the game just drops "but the ressurection was incomplete so he's insane now" and he talks in food puns.

The game has ultra junky quest design The game wants to present itself as "wander around and do sidequests" ……. but a lot of these will have charathers like the captain of the guard straight up tell you that what you are doing is unimportant ……. EXCEPT - IT is -- The game has 16 Bloodstone "McGuffins" and you MUST have 12 of them by the end of the game - so if you actually care about the story then you'll get to a locked door and are told that you didn't waste enough time with the game's tonally random and mostly unrelated sidequests to be allowed to see the end.

I think the biggest appeal of Co-OP is that in singleplayer, you simply have too much control, and can CC (or direct damage nuke) your way through the game, and thus the second player is necessary to make the party less efiecent so that the game can stay challenging for longer - This won't save the high level areas though - most abilities from level 12 destroy the game, and the enemy groups seem to have weaker AI as well for some reason, although they have some good status effects if you don't CC them first for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Its a 7-8/10 game depending on where your priorities are. The writing is not good but i wouldnt call it terrible. It has its moments.

I am one of the few on the codex who prefered the second game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom