Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Ashery

Prophet
Autocombat is iffy, though.

Back when I was first playing on Skilled, I had an early campaign game with an Archer (ie Scout->Scout), a dozen odd crossbowmen, and a single healer up against a group of five orcs or something equally pathetic.

...I lost my rank seven healer because the auto-combat had him fucking charge into the orcs.

I gotta say, though, after an absurdly slow start (Custom game, two human players only), Wizard->Commander is fucking *amazing*. Nothing like putting an enemy with nine resistance to sleep for a solid four turns (And that was before getting level twenty for an additional +3). The start is absolutely brutal, though, and relies on getting lucky with the initial spell setup. Also got lucky with a Mass Curse scroll drop.

DakaSha

Arcane
Ive been trying to play an evil mage start for the past... oh 20 games?

For the first time i am having some success although every single province hates me.

Nothing the thieves guild cant handle though :smug:

sher

Educated
...I lost my rank seven healer because the auto-combat had him fucking charge into the orcs.

It's the same aggressive AI I think - it just charges to deal maximum damage with all units. Units know what to do in limited area accessible in one round but beyond that...

Otherwise though some guards would be VERY hard to defeat so weakness in cunning is compensated with brute force. But in autocombat it results in loss of fragile units. That's why pure warrior rules in autocombat.

It was reported that in hot seat games players control their guards and garrisons not only AI.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If players control garrisons then its unlikely that any game ends any time soon - only AI stupidity allows for fast garrison killing and any conquest at all, seriously, level 14 goblin in a normal garrison? And thats from a basic horde. Imagine phoenix garrison or ancients...

sher

Educated
If players control garrisons then its unlikely that any game ends any time soon

Quite contrary. Human players with skill will be progressing very fast (skilled players are fighting with position not with AI - it's too slow) and either confrontation will occur very early when there will be no powerful enough guards to cripple advancing armies, or it will occur when heroes are developed and without heroes and veterans only hope with even powerful guards is to kill at least one veteran in advancing army. Only veterans are hard to replace quickly. Phoenix will not help you against hero and army with good composition - if commander->scout will attack you there will be very few survivors left when you'll be able even to give your first order.

But AI is quite good actually in dealing damage in short operating period of time - it provides challenge at some point, it is what AI is for after all. And if this combat AI is stupid then in other TBS there is no AI at all.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm honestly very impressed with he combat AI. Yes its a dumb shithead but it does pretty well as far as AI's go.

It does do some stupid shit with its healers though

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Generally Ai is competent with mellee using and sucks with ranged/support ones. Charging with archers or healers is just classic for this behaviour. Still its decent and considering the cheating I'm even glad its not better. Seriously, level 14 garrison units...

DakaSha

Arcane
I love the way lucky item finds are balanced.. Simply make them cost shitloads to upkeep.

Instead of just denying low level players high level gear it, once again, gives you a choice.. with a consequence

Machine

Arbiter
Just had my first successful shard conquest on expert, and funny enough I did it with solo (berserker) warrior with some tips from this thread. Guy was absolute murder machine and province guards didn't bother to fight him even, they always ran away. Near the end he was lvl 17 or so and he soloed 2 enemy AIs, I had another mage and scout to derp around behind front lines exploring and stuff. Of course, this is only first shard in campaign, enemy didn't do better than rank 1 units and such, and my score in the end was -579 from turn reversals but I'm learning I guess v0v.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm 57 turns into a colossal sized custom game and (as always) loving it. I refuse to use reversals though.. prob the reason this is a record

DakaSha

Arcane
Ok so.. I have been wanting to upgrade to the new fort which requires shitloads of wood. There is a province to my south that has the resource but no way i can beat the 4 fairys and 4 dryads there (yay for scouting skill).

So after leveling my diplomacy skill i am able to 'Sign a contract' with the forest beings (about me not harming the forest). Now i have my wood and a free forest being guard.

My question now is whether this contract actually means anything... Can I build a sawmill in this forest without the province crying tears of megashit? sher

sher

Educated
My question now is whether this contract actually means anything... Can I build a sawmill in this forest without the province crying tears of megashit? sher

I don't remember since usually I conquer them - they're not so much pissed off as dwarves or centaurs after invasion :) In your place I would be cautious with them because of strategic resource you need and experiment with it later when you'll get alternative source of wood or will have support hero strong enough to reconquer province after possible riot. If you cannot face dryads then you definitely do not need to face hasted unicorns and ents. You can live without potential 7 gold per turn while you're actively building with wood. Usually it's a bad idea to mess with forest beings, dwarves and centaurs - no reasonable guards will hold them for long.

Druid greenpeace can ask you to stop chop wood in any province not only acquired through diplomacy - then it's safe simply to agree to stop (will dismantle facility you can build again next turn :)).

DakaSha

Arcane
Ive only played custom and am in my longest game so far at around turn 100.

Got me 12 nice provinces and now im just being an isolationist, exploring my shit and murdering locations

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I shamelessly copy pasted my save game from before my first invasion and am currently playing that. Very easy now since I allowed myself 3 turn backs after unlucky defeats of my main hero. That gave me some wisdom: its better to wait a bit than be sorry for dying.

Also good to know what diplomacy skill does since I never level it.

DakaSha

Arcane
Its incredibly strong. Whenever you see those grayed out options its shit you could use diplomacy for.

If you have a bunch of free settlements close by you can basically buy them all up for half the listed price (edit: you can even buy the prince lands.. and they come with a free Guards Guard). Diplomacy is the skill that has put me in the position i am now in in my game

sher is there any way to group up heroes or to attack a province with 2 at once? I am doubting it but may as well ask before i go ruining my current game

sher

Educated
There are no useless skills in this game since it's all very situational. Usually Warriors do not like Repair but it can help a lot in the beginning if you need extra gold due to bad start, Scouts do not like Diplomacy since it's not combat skill but sometimes you can win the game with diplomacy options, Wizards do not like Summoning or Spell Power depending on their specialization, Commanders do not like skill for Battle Spirit because they have more useful skills to take. In this game you have to adapt to situation so not very many things are pretty much set.

sher is there any way to group up heroes or to attack a province with 2 at once? I am doubting it but may as well ask before i go ruining my current game

You can attack simultaneously, just order them to do so in similar turn. They will confront enemy in order you hired your heroes one after another. I don't know what you mean by "grouping". Oh, and terrain type is affected by direction of attack - if you're attacking from mountains there will be more hexes with hills or mountains. Same with other terrain types.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Another question from me: some skills (well quite many actually) work like for example wisdom giving +10% exp first level then +10% exp second level etc. Does it stack? Is it 10% lvl 1 20% lvl 2 or 10% lvl 1 and 21%lvl 2? They get added or work in a more complicated way?

sher

Educated
Another question from me: some skills (well quite many actually) work like for example wisdom giving +10% exp first level then +10% exp second level etc. Does it stack? Is it 10% lvl 1 20% lvl 2 or 10% lvl 1 and 21%lvl 2? They get added or work in a more complicated way?

No, very simple - all info is in descriptions of skill itself and there are active total effects in hero's screen since some items also can grant bonus to XP and they will be added to skill bonus. Wisdom grants 30% at level 3.

sher

Educated
sher wtf I have a weird blue question mark on a neighbor province.. what is that?

I have no idea :) I have no english version and my last russian version was 1.05, I've updated it to 1.05.1 ten minutes ago (didn't know about latest patch). But I had no problems with bugs with this game (only very rare CTD) - additional reason why I was shocked.

DakaSha

Arcane
Yeah im hoping the game doesnt crash on me because im playing on largest map size :-/

sher

Educated
Yeah im hoping the game doesnt crash on me because im playing on largest map size :-/

The only drawback on large maps - slightly longer autosave and loading but it so fast that it doesn't matter. Game is very stable, in my experience at least. The only problem with CTD - it counts it as Return to Past but since statistics values grind over skill it really doesn't matter either.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
sher wtf I have a weird blue question mark on a neighbor province.. what is that?

You probably built one of the buildings that lets you see hidden resources in a province. I.e. if a hill has ore or a forest has trees. They show as question marks once you have the required building.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom