Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bloodeyes

Arcane

G9 gushes like a girl over the new patch. Half way through the video I'm still not sure specifically why, but if he's saying From is heading in a new better direction with PVP for this patch I'll take him at his word.

Its a pretty divisive patch. Hand of Malenia being a true combo for the first to parts of the weapon art is utterly obnoxious. Fighting some over-levelled little shit in a Malenia cosplay is now as hard as fighting the real boss. Poise addicts have reacted to poise nerfs by running even more poise. I've dropped poise entirely from all my builds. Nobody knows which is the right approach yet. For me though, the most noticeable changes have been the true combo ashes of war and how absolutely terrifying fists are again. I'm mostly a low level invader so I'm used to running no poise and using spacing to whiff punish instead of trading.

Here's a patch 1.10 invasion. ER is still ER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH3RMJN0PHs&ab_channel=MegaRhettButler

I like DS3 PvP better but ER is much more active.

is that you playing? Good work but please free camera more, i was getting anxious watching this because of the constant blindspots in the midst of a gank

Yeah that's me playing. I'm not the most skillful invader, still working a lot out. I made a lot of mistakes in that one but it was exciting so I clipped it.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
People who play video games with walkthroughs should be mercilessly punished and mocked online, the same as people who played with trainers and cheat codes in the good old days.

Cheat codes were awesome and I will never forgive achievement hunting retards for effectively killing them.
Luckily, just plain old retards are bringing them back in the form of "accessibility options". Not as cool as typing in a secret code but, still pretty funny how things work out.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've been trying RL90 +17. It seems like a good rune level. Your build has to be very focused compared to low level or meta but I've been winning a lot with my fire affinity STR build. Flame shrouding cracked tear + exalted flesh + good STR scaling, high base damage and 50 STR 2 handed. People just aren't expecting to get hit that hard and you see them panic when it happens:

Malachai

Barely Literate
Elden Ring might be the worst game I've played in the last five years. It's like playing Oblivion but the only thing you can do is killing every NPC in the game. Sadly, you spend even more time travelling in emptiness than in Oblivion.

For people who have never played a FS game, the combat might be appealing though. But if you have played anything between Demon Souls and DS3, it is the same.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
This parry made my day! I've only landed about 5 parries in PVP. Because of the nature of invasions I usually lose. So its nice to have a moment like this where I can see I'm getting better:

Malachai

Barely Literate
"Dark Souls combat" might be one the narrowest genres. Every one of those games feels very similar to the other.

Developers usually have the good idea to insert specific gimmicks inside their games to differenciate them from those other games belonging to the same genre. FS did that with Sekiro for instance (which is a good game).

How can someone endure a thousand hours of Dark Souls (ER being the worst of the bunch, because of all the time you spend looking for something actually fun to do) is beyond my understanding (while for many other genres it is still "reasonable").

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Have you considered that maybe you don't like these games but got swept up in the zomgSouLsGamEsarEsOoOocOollllll wave? People who actually like these games are periodically forced to replay them as there are no decent substitutes available, imagine that.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every one of those games feels very similar to the other.
And first person shooters are not?

aRPGs (Diablo-likes) are not?

Racing games? Fighting games? Battle-royales?

Have you joined our prestigious hobby last week?
Oh come on. The reason there are classics like the Gold Box games, Wizardry series, etc. is because each title had radically different game play. Quit cherry picking, Malachai clearly has a great point and is not at all a complete retard.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Personally, I thought souls combat was changing too much for the worse because I hate rolling invincibility, long attack delays with instant swings, no poise for thee but poise for me, wacky combo strings, cutscenes in the middle of a fight, arenas covered in AOE and always being blinded by particle / lighting effects. I would be a lot happier if it had changed less.

Malachai

Barely Literate
Well, it was my understanding that when any normal individual (that is, endowed with a normal brain) repeats the same task over and over, then he, at some point, is overwhelmed by fatigue and discontent. I've enjoyed DS1 when it came out, but everything after that was excessive to me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Personally, I thought souls combat was changing too much for the worse because I hate rolling invincibility, long attack delays with instant swings, no poise for thee but poise for me, wacky combo strings, cutscenes in the middle of a fight, arenas covered in AOE and always being blinded by particle / lighting effects.

Most of this is due to FromSoft refusal to partition the gameplay with traditional difficulty options.

Therefore they have to constantly up the ante coz people are actually getting gud. My first soulslike was DS1 and I was sweating blood trying to stumble through it. Now going back to it it's trivial.

Problem is we aren't gitting gud equally and we also didn't start with the same skillset. I've seen first playthroughs of DS3 or Elden Ring where tubers or streamers actually beat shit like Pontiff, Nameless, Friede, Malekith or Mogh first try. I've seen people beat Saint Isshin second try. Like, what the fuck?

Skill gaps between players are insane. One fixed difficulty is retarded. But FromSoft in trying to cater to souls ubermensch are making some bosses impossible for us peasants without summons.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Skill gaps between players are insane. One fixed difficulty is retarded. But FromSoft in trying to cater to souls ubermensch are making some bosses impossible for us peasants without summons.
I actually don't mind this. It's more like classic gaming, where some people could 1CC arcade games or master a roguelike. It really comes down to whether you think every game should be completable by every person in order to have an experience.

For instance, I played a lot of Contra back in the day. I've never come anywhere close to beating it, but I still have fond memories of it. There are a lot of games from that Era that I have similar stories about. Just like how I like true roguelikes but I've never come anywhere near beating any of them. If you made them easily completable, you'd lose the essence of what they are.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It really comes down to whether you think every game should be completable by every person
I want to complete games that I own and love, yes. Got no objective reason, there's none to give, I just do.

I don't mind if I can't beat a game on the highest difficulty, plenty of games like that. But not being able to finish it at all? Nah, that's bad vibes.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I actually killed Isshin on my second try, but I only played through Sekiro once so it could be a fluke. In Sekiro your sword was like having a greatshield that can parry and you had infinite stamina to run around like an idiot so you I found that game waaaay easier than Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne or Elden Ring

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I actually killed Isshin on my second try, but I only played through Sekiro once so it could be a fluke. In Sekiro your sword was like having a greatshield that can parry and you had infinite stamina to run around like an idiot so you I found that game waaaay easier than Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne or Elden Ring
How the fuck do you beat that huge 3x 360 slash on your second try? Dayum.

I don't mind if I can't beat a game on the highest difficulty, plenty of games like that. But not being able to finish it at all? Nah, that's bad vibes.
In all Souls games you can easily overpower yourself though, you can pretty much set your own difficulty at any point except at the very beginning.

Last edited:

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
How the fuck do you beat that huge 3x 360 slash on your second try? Dayum.
I don't even remember a 3x 360 slash, about all I can remember is that he had a gun and a lightning move... and the first phase was a different guy who isshin births himself from

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom