Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You think it's easier to dodge roll this guy than to parry him?
I think it's easier to stand on a ledge he can't hit you on and shoot him to death with arrows. Which is the optimal way to beat him if you're a sad sack of shit who thinks an enemy like this belongs in a souls game. DMC? Fine. Souls? Absolutely fucking not

Imagine thinking doing this is too difficult:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
You think it's easier to dodge roll this guy than to parry him?
I think it's easier to stand on a ledge he can't hit you on and shoot him to death with arrows. Which is the optimal way to beat him if you're a sad sack of shit who thinks an enemy like this belongs in a souls game. DMC? Fine. Souls? Absolutely fucking not

Imagine thinking doing this is too difficult:

Imagine thinking you know shit about the game when all you do is look stuff up on wikis and go "if I stack these 5 buffs I can counter this obnoxiously designed enemy, I am so good at games teeheehee".

Seriously faggot. You're the poster child of why Souls games had one of the most respected communities to being utterly despised any where they rear their head.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The problem with parrying bosses is that you have no fucking idea if it's even going to be possible unless you succeed. Given that a missed parry often means outright fucking death, it stupidly suicidal to try parry a boss you've encountered for the first time at an appropriate level.

Enemies might fucki your rolling with their stupid gimmick timing, but that applies to parrying as well, and at least with the rolling you generally don't instantly fucking die and you know you just need to roll later. And you aren't locked into using a specific item.

The real easy alternate solution for 80% of bosses is just a greatshield + rapier. You can simply poke while blocking. Due to the way poise works, this also tends to cause a fuckton of staggers because hitting the enemy while they attack makes it much easier to avoid having their poise meter decay.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The real easy alternate solution for 80% of bosses is just a greatshield + rapier. You can simply poke while blocking. Due to the way poise works, this also tends to cause a fuckton of staggers because hitting the enemy while they attack makes it much easier to avoid having their poise meter decay.
How well do great shields work for blocking in wombo combo land of Elden ring? In previous games your stamina wouldn't stick it out and they would poise break you and rape your butthole for it. I've always been a shield user and as soon as a boss appears it's time to stop blocking til they're dead.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Man where did this retard come from lol.

Probably GGS or some other Codex treasure "lost" to rustyland or the 550th face of Liberal. Who cares?
You're got so assblasted by Liberal that you keep seeing him behind every corner?

In the sense that I don't particularly care and amuse myself with a head canon where every moron is just you talking to yourself, yes. :lol:
Sounds like I live in your head canon rent-free.

Damned Registrations

How well do great shields work for blocking in wombo combo land of Elden ring? In previous games your stamina wouldn't stick it out and they would poise break you and rape your butthole for it. I've always been a shield user and as soon as a boss appears it's time to stop blocking til they're dead.
Like I said, it works for maybe 80% of bosses, assuming you've got a good shield and decent stamina bar. There are still attacks that crush through blocks or contiually wear them down, but a lot of otherwise chaotic fights like ulcerated tree spirits or rune bears become completely trivial, and it's easier to learn the timing to dodge roll one or two unblockable attacks (fucking grabs!) than it is to learn all of them. The real benefit is how aggressive it lets you be; I can stand in front of an enemy while it's whiffing some big attack combo over my shoulder and poke away. If it happens to hit me I maybe stop poking or try rolling away, but I probably don't even take damage. A lot of time even if you get stance broken you'll be fine because the follow-up was meant to roll catch so you have enough time to block again. The most troublesome enemies tend to be ones that like to keep their distance and move around a ton. Don't bother trying to block vs Maleketh or Malenia.

The problem is, it's fucking boring. You can't even really use ashes of war this way, or get any variety in your attacks. Just poke poke poke. I had way more fun trying to use fancy spells or weapon arts. It's stupidly effective though, especially if you use something like the antspur with a bleed infusion (you can rot fucking anything in this game, even radagon), or one of the giant rapiers that inflict a surprising amount of stagger.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

Probably GGS or some other Codex treasure "lost" to rustyland or the 550th face of Liberal. Who cares?
You're got so assblasted by Liberal that you keep seeing him behind every corner?

In the sense that I don't particularly care and amuse myself with a head canon where every moron is just you talking to yourself, yes. :lol:
Your new avatar looks really bad.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

The only person who thinks it's surprising news that I consider you to be legendarily retarded is you. QED

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot

The only person who thinks it's surprising news that I consider you to be legendarily retarded is you. QED
I don't consider you at all.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Like I said, it works for maybe 80% of bosses, assuming you've got a good shield and decent stamina bar. There are still attacks that crush through blocks or contiually wear them down, but a lot of otherwise chaotic fights like ulcerated tree spirits or rune bears become completely trivial, and it's easier to learn the timing to dodge roll one or two unblockable attacks (fucking grabs!) than it is to learn all of them. The real benefit is how aggressive it lets you be; I can stand in front of an enemy while it's whiffing some big attack combo over my shoulder and poke away. If it happens to hit me I maybe stop poking or try rolling away, but I probably don't even take damage. A lot of time even if you get stance broken you'll be fine because the follow-up was meant to roll catch so you have enough time to block again. The most troublesome enemies tend to be ones that like to keep their distance and move around a ton. Don't bother trying to block vs Maleketh or Malenia.

The problem is, it's fucking boring. You can't even really use ashes of war this way, or get any variety in your attacks. Just poke poke poke. I had way more fun trying to use fancy spells or weapon arts. It's stupidly effective though, especially if you use something like the antspur with a bleed infusion (you can rot fucking anything in this game, even radagon), or one of the giant rapiers that inflict a surprising amount of stagger.
I've always been a medium shield user, usually the stamina one. There's a few bosses where you can absorb a hit if you mess up a roll but actual blocking is just a terrible idea. Gundyrs a good example of one you can block. It's a good way to deal with the roll catches if you're unsure in a fight. Try the roll and if it fucks up you have the shield button held down at least. Good for closing space safely on the free spirits too. Run in shielding up and then stay on them and they can't do shit to you even with a medium one.

I've considered doing a twin shield run in a souls game for ages but I haven't decided which would be best yet.

Damned Registrations

I've always been a medium shield user, usually the stamina one.
I find there's two problems with medium shields; the first is that with the way the blocking stat works, Having 75 lets you block twice as strong a hit as 50. So every inch towards 100 you can get is worth more than the last. This is also why magic shield and it's ilk (Barricade in elden ring) is bananas. This gets even more extreme when you take stamina recovery into account; taking 300 stamina loss over 10 seconds vs 600 when you're recovering 500 per second is the difference between being invincible and getting pancaked.

The second problem doesn't usually apply to bosses (though there are a few and it's hilarious) but it's shield deflection. A greatshield will make an enemy bounce off it and stop their combo where a medium one might have to endure some 15 hit flurry of bullshit. There's the chance to counter while they bounce back too, but avoiding these flurry attacks to begin with is way more important. It's all about reaching that threshold where you recover stamina faster than you lose it.

I'd say shields have been at their best in DS1 and ER. Though maybe patches have since nerfed them into the ground for pvp whiners or something, who knows.

Silverfish

Arbiter
"if I stack these 5 buffs I can counter this obnoxiously designed enemy, I am so good at games teeheehee".

I was concerned for a moment, but I actually only need three buffs to take down the Four Kings, so I'm still a legit gamer.

This is also why magic shield and it's ilk (Barricade in elden ring) is bananas.

Just to illustrate this point (granted in DS3, not ER):

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem with parrying bosses is that you have no fucking idea if it's even going to be possible unless you succeed. Given that a missed parry often means outright fucking death, it stupidly suicidal to try parry a boss you've encountered for the first time at an appropriate level.

Sometimes they make it obvious. Whenever an attack has a long wind up. Whenever an enemy seems ass to fight with just rolls (like Crucible Knight) etc.

I instantly knew you could parry that Morgott combo since as soon as he pulls the hammer over his shoulder, his sword flashes for a second before he charges at you, and i have an hard time believing that wasn't intentional.

As far as i'm concerned, FromSoft actually genuinely tries to minimize any "bullshit" that their designers may feel compelled to sneak into the game. There's always some clue or indication of what you are supposed to be doing to make certain things easier. I think people are just too lazy or too stubborn (or both) to learn to adapt. Every now and then they'll make an exception to shock the player (like Malenia's Waterfowl) but that's usually a one time off.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I've always been a medium shield user, usually the stamina one.
I find there's two problems with medium shields; the first is that with the way the blocking stat works, Having 75 lets you block twice as strong a hit as 50. So every inch towards 100 you can get is worth more than the last. This is also why magic shield and it's ilk (Barricade in elden ring) is bananas. This gets even more extreme when you take stamina recovery into account; taking 300 stamina loss over 10 seconds vs 600 when you're recovering 500 per second is the difference between being invincible and getting pancaked.

The second problem doesn't usually apply to bosses (though there are a few and it's hilarious) but it's shield deflection. A greatshield will make an enemy bounce off it and stop their combo where a medium one might have to endure some 15 hit flurry of bullshit. There's the chance to counter while they bounce back too, but avoiding these flurry attacks to begin with is way more important. It's all about reaching that threshold where you recover stamina faster than you lose it.

I'd say shields have been at their best in DS1 and ER. Though maybe patches have since nerfed them into the ground for pvp whiners or something, who knows.
I've beaten every souls game the same way my first time through. Medium shield, Medium roll and the Uchi as soon as I find it. Elden Ring being the only exception where I switched to Milenna's sword for the final 2 bosses. Great shield seem a lot less fun to me than a medium shield despite being much stronger. If you're doing a STR build it's a no brainer but dex fags have to invest a lot to carry it above their normal build.

Shield counter easily makes them the best they've ever been. It feels really good to time a hit between moves when you learn the windows you can do it.
I was concerned for a moment, but I actually only need three buffs to take down the Four Kings, so I'm still a legit gamer.
No bro, you just use power within, red tear stone, 3 miracles and the great club. I beat Dark souls 1 on my first play through. Why didn't you? Of course I knew where to get all those items, I watched TWITCHMAN speed run the game for years.

One of the most aggrivating things I've ever seen was a guy playing Subnautica. A kid was in chat back seating every single thing he did. Might as well have been a Ubisoft HUD with how much handholding he did. And the kids like "Oh I've never played this game. I watched a lot of others play it though. Happy to help". And this kid pointed him to every objective and every item perfectly for his entire play through. This dumb little faggot had ruined the game for himself and now takes it upon himself to ruin it for any one else playing it and wanting to stream it. And that's how I feel about the Souls fanbase today. They do the same thing when I got into this series and play every game blind because I enjoy the exploration and overcoming challenges MY way not wiki whoring bullshit.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

Sometimes they make it obvious. Whenever an attack has a long wind up. Whenever an enemy seems ass to fight with just rolls (like Crucible Knight) etc.

I instantly knew you could parry that Morgott combo since as soon as he pulls the hammer over his shoulder, his sword flashes for a second before he charges at you, and i have an hard time believing that wasn't intentional.

As far as i'm concerned, FromSoft actually genuinely tries to minimize any "bullshit" that their designers may feel compelled to sneak into the game. There's always some clue or indication of what you are supposed to be doing to make certain things easier. I think people are just too lazy or too stubborn (or both) to learn to adapt. Every now and then they'll make an exception to shock the player (like Malenia's Waterfowl) but that's usually a one time off.

Yep... and the fact that they gave us magical parries in ER just emphasizes that it's something they want players to use. They're some of my favorite Ashes in the game. Even the most casual baby player will probably think "Can I parry that red antlery guy with this...?" after parrying a few Marionette Soldiers from 20 feet away with Golden Parry.

That being said, I've only ever REALLY parried minibosses at a legitimate strategy. Against actual bosses, while cool, the reward you get from it just isn't worth it. Not only do you have to land two, sometimes thee, parries to get your opening, your reward is only a few random hits worth of health... something you could have more easily gotten with your standard roll-and-punish strategy. And the thing you're risking is nothing less than your life, considering how much damage bosses like Morgott and Malenia deal if you mess up. It seems to me more of an alternate strategy for those with gifted reflexes, not something most players will see or even attempt. That's why I'm so glad they added stagger breaks as a way for all playstyles to have equal access to critical hits. It makes classic DS roll-and-punish gameplay with the heavier weapons types that much more exciting, because you know you're building up towards a reward with each successful hit. It encourages you to learn the boss faster and keep up the offensive.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It depends on the boss really. Commander Niall and his brother are really begging you to parry them. The fat Godskin guy was also much easier for me with parry than without it. In most cases it's definitely easier to just flatten the boss into a pankake than trying any kind of finesse, but sometimes that doesn't pay off and it's nice to have alternative options.

In my opinion what they were going for with this game is a kind of multivalent approach where you are supposed to use different techniques and tools depending on the situation. Guard counters are generally not really a necessity in most cases but in situations where they can actualy be useful they are generally VERY useful. I see parry as something like that as well. It's not something you have to do all the time, it's just a tool like everything else that can be used when needed. Crucible Knights is something i would never do without parry. It takes too damn long to kill them with a pure roll-fu approach, and they are pretty resiliant to bonking as well. Getting those sweet, sweet ripostes on those guys is just too good to pass up.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Do you at least wear the shield on your back? I mean come on man.
Of course! You have to two hand some times. Shields are for walking round corners or through doors.
That being said, I've only ever REALLY parried minibosses at a legitimate strategy. Against actual bosses, while cool, the reward you get from it just isn't worth it. Not only do you have to land two, sometimes thee, parries to get your opening, your reward is only a few random hits worth of health... something you could have more easily gotten with your standard roll-and-punish strategy
In SL1 runs you do gain a lot from parrying bosses in earlier games. Pontiff has a consistent punish you can chunk a huge amount of health off right at the start of the fight. If you fuck it up you only lost the run back. And you get him almost to phase 2 if you get it right.
it's nice to have alternative options
Agreed. I don't like when From try to pigeon hole players into specific strategies. Gimmick fights are welcome changes of pace but they shouldn't force specific windows. Unfortunately a lot of Elden Ring's solutions are L2 spam rather than out smarting the enemy. Demon's souls bosses aren't difficult (well 2 are) but they're interesting. Armoured spider is one of my favourite bosses even though it's easy and simple. It's more than rolling and hitting and learning it felt rewarding. It was part of the adventure not another duel. Elden ring lacks those kind of bosses unfortunately.
I use iron flesh, green moss and lightning resin on a regular club because I'm a gentleman.
You sound like a very fine gentleman. Always apply pine resin to your club when you've got iron flesh active.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom