Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
souls games have been fucking ruined by the community around them
Letting others define your perception of things is cuck behaviour, pathetic. Relax, this isn't reddit which you seem to be intimately familiar with, stop trying to fit in and you might stop coming off as a projecting little bitch.
:thumbsup:
Souls games have always been a community affair due to their complexity. Play the first run through entirely blind, then engage with friends/whatever forums are left worth reading trying to discover stuff you missed. There's always hidden paths like the blue slab in the crystal area in DaS1 you're very unlikely to discover naturally. The community went from "There's a hidden path behind the chest in blight town" to one man strategy guides ready to jump on any newbie they see and forcefully handhold them into the most broken build and never letting them explore shit. It used to be fun to check streams and see how others over came challenges in different ways to you. Now it's all E girls and hand held faggots.
What a wonderful new addition to the Codex. Every thread turns to shit the second this guy posts in it.

I mean i'm a drive-by shitposter but come on now.
Sorry the thread moved on from laughing at your Korean parry video posting. Have you tried rolling with it?

I played the Souls trilogy on my own and went through it with melee builds. Pure melee. I have never finished any of these games with a spellcaster, because it felt unnatural. Until I played Elden Ring. For all the shit about it being DS4, I can tell you it's not. The game is designed to be played with spells and other similar abilities like Ashes of War. I know there's bound to be some obsessed autist who will do a L1 run but I don't give a shit about those crackheads. The fact that they included a mega kamehameha was another fact that made me go spellcaster fist in Elden Ring. I abused it. No regrets. Commander Niall and Mogh are meant to be big challenges but I just kamehameha'd them in 10 seconds. It's insane.

Then I read about the cut content and it kinda made sense how a game like this was meant to be so different from what we got. I still like it. But you can notice so many things once you learn the extent of what was changed.

The fact that they included a mega kamehameha was another fact that made me go spellcaster fist in Elden Ring. I abused it. No regrets. Commander Niall and Mogh are meant to be big challenges but I just kamehameha'd them in 10 seconds. It's insane.

Nothing new there.

this is not as game breaking as the Elden Ring kamehameha. The difference here might be that you have to wait until you meet certain stat and item reqs, but you will be unstoppable and you will beat bosses in 5 seconds. Mogh couldn't even do one of his big attacks when I faced him.

It doesn't work with bosses that are more mobile, like Malenia, though.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The fact that they included a mega kamehameha was another fact that made me go spellcaster fist in Elden Ring. I abused it. No regrets. Commander Niall and Mogh are meant to be big challenges but I just kamehameha'd them in 10 seconds. It's insane.

Nothing new there.

this is not as game breaking as the Elden Ring kamehameha. The difference here might be that you have to wait until you meet certain stat and item reqs, but you will be unstoppable and you will beat bosses in 5 seconds. Mogh couldn't even do one of his big attacks when I faced him.

It doesn't work with bosses that are more mobile, like Malenia, though.

Magic has always been able to nuke bosses in 1 click. At most it's 3 soul spears before the boss can reach you. Dark souls 3 has the weakest magic but I think you can still 1 shot a lot of bosses any way.

Silva

Arcane
Then I read about the cut content and it kinda made sense how a game like this was meant to be so different from what we got. I still like it. But you can notice so many things once you learn the extent of what was changed.
What was changed?

Agree with the rest of your post 100% btw, Elden Ring really is a mortal kombat game more than virtua fighter. Aka a game to throw cheesy specials more than actually fight your opponents.

What was changed?

Agree with the rest of your post 100% btw, Elden Ring really is a mortal kombat game more than virtua fighter. Aka a game to throw cheesy specials more than actually fight your opponents.
a lot of it is wild speculation, but some of that has its basis on datamined content

The most well known one is Kale leading you to the frenzied flame, in his way to know wtf happened to his people
There's also the fact that the mimic could be an actual character, that merges within you and travels with you. At some point you separate, find her again later, kill ehr and get her summon back, instead of just being an item you find
Kenneth Haigh's quest apparently led to him returning to Leyndell, figuring out what Morgott was doing with the omens and got disgusted, the quest ended (i guess) with you killing the omens by order of KH.
Millicent and Malenia were more invovled than what you see in the game. Also there's serious hints at a romance involving her and the player character in the japanese script.
This is a bit wilder but you could have several maidens in the game and Melina was just a candidate. She was the "true" maiden so to speak, but you could make use of Hyetta, meet or know more about your maiden (the one that lies dead at the opening area) and Bernahl had a pretty crazy story with his own maiden, who went mad when he didn't allow her to die for him.
Because of this, you were meant to meet Melina later. Some speculate that this would include Torrent's introduction to be made later too, since you can travel through Limgrave quite easily without him.

And then there's the usual stuff that modders are throwing around like a cataclym system being in consideration, kind of like what happens when you defeat Radahn. I've read some talk about Astel crashing into the snow area which causes a real change into the world but nothing more substantial. The game was rushed as fuck.

Edit: I forgot to mention, due to how cut content connects between itself and the other stuff found in game, it's been theorized that the true final boss of the game was meant to be Mogh instead of Malenia.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
That's standard for From. Dark souls 3 had a really cool time of day system and it got cut and the graphics used as sky boxes.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Edit: I forgot to mention, due to how cut content connects between itself and the other stuff found in game, it's been theorized that the true final boss of the game was meant to be Mogh instead of Malenia.
Um... neither of those is the final boss of the game.

Um... neither of those is the final boss of the game.
I know, but they are seen as such. Especially because the game kinda "ends" after you beat Malenia, and Mogh is clearly a much more relevant figure to the lore than her in the current state of the game. And nobody liked the Elden Beast.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I, for one, didn't mind the Elden Breast, I just wish it was a separate boss from Radagon, and that Radagon had a proper second phase where he would use miracles in conjunction with melee.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I played the Souls trilogy on my own and went through it with melee builds. Pure melee. I have never finished any of these games with a spellcaster, because it felt unnatural. Until I played Elden Ring. For all the shit about it being DS4, I can tell you it's not. The game is designed to be played with spells and other similar abilities like Ashes of War. I know there's bound to be some obsessed autist who will do a L1 run but I don't give a shit about those crackheads. The fact that they included a mega kamehameha was another fact that made me go spellcaster fist in Elden Ring. I abused it. No regrets. Commander Niall and Mogh are meant to be big challenges but I just kamehameha'd them in 10 seconds. It's insane.

I really wish more bosses actually tried to dodge Comet Azur... It's so dumb that you can cheese so many big main bosses with it. At least melee-based cheeses require some effort on your part.

I, for one, didn't mind the Elden Breast, I just wish it was a separate boss from Radagon, and that Radagon had a proper second phase where he would use miracles in conjunction with melee.

"Ragadon" can't use his miracles because he isn't really Ragadon by that point. Melina outright calls him a "husk of the Erdtree's being". He's just a sockpuppet for the Greater Will. That's why he wields pure, unrefined holy energy for his attacks. There isn't even a crest/sigil that appears like the other spells in the game.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
"Ragadon" can't use his miracles because he isn't really Ragadon by that point.
So what, it's a video game, lol.

Melina outright calls him a "husk of the Erdtree's being". He's just a sockpuppet for the Greater Will
Ok, the Greater Will/Erdtree uses its sockpuppet/husk to cast spells as well as swing the hammer. :roll:

That's why he wields pure, unrefined holy energy for his attacks.
Great, should have been a proper second phase to Radagon where he wielded pure, unrefined energy to launch elaborate magical attacks in conjunction with melee.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
So what, it's a video game, lol.
So what? That's the story, take it or leave it.

Ok, the Greater Will/Erdtree uses its sockpuppet/husk to cast spells as well as swing the hammer. :roll:
It can't though.

Great, should have been a proper second phase to Radagon where he wielded pure, unrefined energy to launch elaborate magical attacks in conjunction with melee.
The Elden Beast has elaborate magic attacks. Again, Ragadon=Elden Beast. There's barely any difference between them.

There's also talks about how Melina, Malenia and Millicent are somehow related to the fact that Radagon and Marika share a body. There was apparently heavy use of alchemy and Melina is an alchemical creation. You can tell someone other than Miyazaki built this because it's not vague eastern mythology with a medieval fantasy skin thrown in. There's some actual musings about different versions of christianity and magic thrown in. I mean, the Radagon=Marika conundrum is a clear imitation of the Holy Trinity.

Edit: this would be supposedly confirmed by hints left by cut content, but it might as well be guys high on their own farts.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The Elden Beast has elaborate magic attacks. Again, Ragadon=Elden Beast. There's barely any difference between them.
"Radagon is a puppet of the Elden Beast so he can't use magic attacks. Also, Radagon is the Elden Beast who uses elaborate magic attacks."

Stop posting.

There's some actual musings about different versions of christianity and magic thrown in. I mean, the Radagon=Marika conundrum is a clear imitation of the Holy Trinity.
Doesn't have anything to do with Christianity. Radagon=Marika is the alchemical Red King + White Queen motif.

Silva

Arcane
Legacy Dungeons is the one thing Elden Ring does brilliantly and that makes me hopeful for future entries in the formula. Stormveil, Liurnia Academy, Leyndel Capital, etc are sprawling, have multiple paths and secrets, and are absolutely gorgeous.

Going back to the likes of Anor Londo, Cainhurst or Lothric Castle after makes you really appreciate what ER did here. I can only imagine what a Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 would be like with such levels.

Everything else in ER can be thrown in the trash bin.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Legacy Dungeons is the one thing Elden Ring does brilliantly and that makes me hopeful for future entries in the formula. Stormveil, Liurnia Academy, Leyndel Capital, etc are sprawling, have multiple paths and secrets, and are absolutely gorgeous.

Going back to the likes of Anor Londo, Cainhurst or Lothric Castle after makes you really appreciate what ER did here. I can only imagine what a Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 would be like with such levels.

Everything else in ER can be thrown in the trash bin.
ER is very good. Without the open world and the bosses. Although I do have to give credit to 1 thing that ER does with its open world design: verticality and interconnectivity in places, especially with the underground areas.
Which brings me to underground areas and I have to say they are incredibly good looking, feels like you're in space. Very cool areas, the cave of Astel, the pedo--- I mean the Moghwyn Palace, the 2 eternal cities, the floating dust particles and bioluminescent lights and the general cosmic theme.....just wow.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I had a great Christmas. Family dinner and a relaxing day doing invasions. I have a level 9 vagabond with unupgraded weapons that has beaten the game (with total cheese and minimal skill). I've got him set up as a full mule with all the spells and everything, all invasion zones unlocked. So I can just level him up to whatever level I want in whatever build I want and play that for a day then revert him back to 9.

Today I did level 200 with a super toxic gank-spanking anti-lockon bleed bonk build. It went well.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Play the first run through entirely blind, then engage with friends/whatever forums are left worth reading trying to discover stuff you missed.

Or alternatively, play through about half of the game blind, rage quit because Ornstein and Smough easily destroy your shitty build, do a youtube search that essentially boils down to "how to not suck dick at Dark Souls", discover EpicNameBro and MartyrsBrigade99 and then stick with the series for a decade.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Or alternatively, play through about half of the game blind, rage quit because Ornstein and Smough easily destroy your shitty build, do a youtube search that essentially boils down to "how to not suck dick at Dark Souls", discover EpicNameBro and MartyrsBrigade99 and then stick with the series for a decade.
I'm not one to say git gud but... git gud. I played Dark souls at release unpatched. The game is baby mode after the DLC was added. If your build can't beat OnS you're not using it properly. Every reasonable build (throwing daggers only/broken sword only sort of thing) can beat any boss. It's just a matter of finding your windows and exploiting them correctly. You shouldn't be touching the wikis or youtube until you're at the obvious last boss and then at most checking a list of area names for ones you missed and getting a hint at finding them if you don't intend to replay the game any time soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom