Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I played DS1 blind as well. I had my share of issues with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill but i had my share of issues with pretty much everything else before that so i didn't think much of it.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Honestly I didn't find O & S that bad. It took me a few tries. Half a dozen or so I think. But DS1 wasn't my first souls game so I was used to grinding on hard bosses. If they weren't so infamous I don't think I would have found that fight particularly noteworthy.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
O&S is easy. That retard Ornstein (what a jew name) just constantly gets in your face, ice skating into melee range for you to kill him while the fat guy does cardio for the first time in his life trying to keep up.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What's so bad about Ornstein and Smough? Just use the pillars.

There's nothing bad about them it seems they are just the first real show stopper for a majority of people.

They are definitely the hardest thing i fought by that point in the game and since after them it's very easy to become overpowered they may be the last truly "shocking" boss encounter a lot of people remember (the next one probably being Kalameet).

Caim

Arcane
There's nothing bad about them it seems they are just the first real show stopper for a majority of people.

They are definitely the hardest thing i fought by that point in the game and since after them it's very easy to become overpowered they may be the last truly "shocking" boss encounter a lot of people remember (the next one probably being Kalameet).
After Bill and Ted there's only a few true showstopper bosses: Artorias, Manus and to a lesser extent Gwyn (until you realize that parrying hard counters him).

Shuruga

Educated

DS1 was my first souls game (I got the trilogy on one of their rare sales after I played and enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order), and O&S was the only boss fight that gave me real trouble. I think it was partly because there were two very different bosses, there were more options for strategies that might work compared to a single boss. As just one top-level example, who do you try to beat first? Focusing on Ornstein is perhaps obvious because you can outpace Smough, but Orstein pauses between attacks and I found it easier to get attacks in on Smough. I died several times just getting my bearings.

Then once I honed in on a good strategy, I managed to screw up the timing (I had one boss lined up correctly but let the other get at my side, then I got teamed) and/or positioning relative to the pillars frequently enough that I had several bad runs. If I recall correctly there was at least one fight where I was literally one hit away from winning and got over-eager.

In other words, I was acting like a newb and "Just use the pillars" is a valid statement. But I think having two different bosses at once and the corresponding emphasis on timing (and being aware of where both bosses are simultaneously) is why that particular fight threw so many people at first, me included. That said, I enjoyed the challenge and the rest of the bosses were comparatively simple.

Slightly more on topic, I subsequently beat DS2 and still have DS3 in my backlog. Probably I'll pick up ER eventually but I've resisted actually buying it so far.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I'm not one to say git gud but... git gud.

Why did you feel the need to respond to me before reading the last sentence of the post you quoted? I've been playing these games non-stop for a decade. I passed the git gud loop a long time ago.

I played Dark souls at release unpatched.

Whoa, I certainly haven't done that as recently as a month ago.

I got greedy and kept getting clipped by one after trying to punish the other's whiffed attacks. I also had no damage, having stuck with a raw claymore and a divine zweihander (with my class' base level faith).

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Still think O&S is one of the best boss fights in the entire series; difficult, but fair.
Godskin Duo on the other hand? lel, fuck that shit.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
You should try replaying that fight. It's definitely not fair. There's plenty of ways the spear dash can fuck up and stop/start out of no where or come flying at you when you can't possibly see it.

Other than Fatty's rolling (which is beyond bullshit) I don't understand the issue with the duo. They're tough but reasonable. They have nothing on the furry faggots bullshit.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
In none of my replays do I have much difficulties with O&S.
Granted, I've only beaten the Godskin Duo twice, but that shit feels so spastic and random that I chose to resort to cheese both times (Comet Azure and Mimic Tear with sleep pots respectively). But I'm generally not a huge fan of ER's retarded bosses, so there's that.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly I didn't find O & S that bad. It took me a few tries. Half a dozen or so I think. But DS1 wasn't my first souls game so I was used to grinding on hard bosses. If they weren't so infamous I don't think I would have found that fight particularly noteworthy.

It was my second, and I didn’t even know it was infamous. It also only took me 5-6-7 tries. I just loved the design. I really enjoyed fighting them - felt 100% fair but challenging.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
In none of my replays do I have much difficulties with O&S.
Granted, I've only beaten the Godskin Duo twice, but that shit feels so spastic and random that I chose to resort to cheese both times (Comet Azure and Mimic Tear with sleep pots respectively). But I'm generally not a huge fan of ER's retarded bosses, so there's that.
I use sleep pots and bleed for the Godskin Duo. Fuck that fight. If I knew how to chainsaw I would do that instead.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Summoned Sunbro Solaire, double-teamed Ornstein and killed him quickly, and although Solaire was then squashed by Super-Sized Smough I used the broken pillars and the bow that I fortunately had equipped to whittle away his health. +M

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Its been days now and I still haven't stopped enjoying being a shitter at 200.

I reverted Bigg G Swaggin, my bleednado build. I was just sick of getting robbed of my blood loss procs by latency.

I'm now playing as Whispering Bones, a death sorcerer This build is much better:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Should you have the expectation of beating every boss in a souls game? Millennia is a completely broken mess and shouldn't be the way she is (instagib moves + healing + hyper armour + 2 phases, fuck multi phase bosses). But she's also in a hidden area inside a hidden area. What expectations should we have players have of beating every boss in the game? There are other RPGs where the hidden bosses are utterly busted and not expected to be beaten by any one but the severely autistic (Demifiend in DDS, Final fantay has a few). At what point is a boss like Millennia a problem with player expectations and not an intentionally over designed boss pushed too far and ending up in the mess we have?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh I am fine Super Boss (sekrit boss in sekrit area requiring you to do sekrit things) to be unfairly hard

ER Bosses still suck donkey balls though design wise

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Should you have the expectation of beating every boss in a souls game? Millennia is a completely broken mess and shouldn't be the way she is (instagib moves + healing + hyper armour + 2 phases, fuck multi phase bosses). But she's also in a hidden area inside a hidden area. What expectations should we have players have of beating every boss in the game? There are other RPGs where the hidden bosses are utterly busted and not expected to be beaten by any one but the severely autistic (Demifiend in DDS, Final fantay has a few). At what point is a boss like Millennia a problem with player expectations and not an intentionally over designed boss pushed too far and ending up in the mess we have?
Learn her most bs-moves, skill strengh and vitality, 2-hand some colossal sword, use Mimic Tear, and stunlock that POS to death first or second try.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Malenia isn't hard. Its moveset is unintuitive and visually chaotic. Considering your character's severe lack of relative mobility, the fight feels dumb in general.

Ravielsk

Magister
the fight feels dumb in general.
Elden Ring bosses in a nutshell.

Melania is much better suited for Sekiro.

From what I read online chances are she is literary just a Sekiro boss ported over to Elden Ring. Modders are under the assumption that she is just retooled Tomoe who was cut from Sekiro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom