Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Don't recall the last time I chose to play as anyone other than a human or an elf. Definitely never played a dwarf.
Dragon Age Origins for example. Different origins per species. Dwarves also are locked and cannot be mages, for one.
Whatever, play as you like. To me, people who get into the characters they're playing may have some issues.

ferratilis

Magister
You retards have completely derailed the thread. Move this to GD, where it belongs.

Anyway, Radahn went down on the third try. On the first try he got me with an arrow (low vigor), on the second I moved too close to him and he bonked me. Not a big deal, I expected this fight to be much, much harder. Now I regret using Rock Sling, the thing is crazy lol.

Hell Swarm

Educated
You retards have completely derailed the thread. Move this to GD, where it belongs.

Anyway, Radahn went down on the third try. On the first try he got me with an arrow (low vigor), on the second I moved too close to him and he bonked me. Not a big deal, I expected this fight to be much, much harder. Now I regret using Rock Sling, the thing is crazy lol.
Radahn was seriously nerfed in an early patch. He's not the monster he used to be.

And his horse is still retarded.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This is not to say that attractive women exist in FS games. They don't, aside from the famous NPC with giant milkers.
Demons-Souls-Maiden-in-Black-1.gif
Shanalotteframe.jpg
Dark-Souls-3-Sirris.gif
Firekeeper.jpg

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Do you post about Elden Ring in DD2 thread most of the time?
No. Why would I? It's inferior. Here's a little known fact: I greatly contributed to Elden Ring winning GOTY here. It's not a bias or hate thing towards Elden Ring. DD2 is simply the better game in most aspects and I deal in truth.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Okay, so so far today I've had to clean up a bunch of tranny posts in here made by Skinwalker, and, just now, respond to a report made by Skinwalker complaining that SDG is posting too much DD2 content in this thread.

Hmm, what to do?

Ban both of them from the thread?

Odoryuk

Educated
Do you post about Elden Ring in DD2 thread most of the time?
No. Why would I? It's inferior. Here's a little known fact: I greatly contributed to Elden Ring winning GOTY here. It's not a bias or hate thing towards Elden Ring. DD2 is simply the better game in most aspects and I deal in truth.
I couldn't fathom people enjoying DD1 back in the days, and same thing with DD2, both games look so bland both artistically and mechanically, it's like a less autistic Monster Hunter (which I can at least get why people like it) with the most boring fantasy writing imaginable. Not a single post of yours even attempted to make me (or anyone, I'd bet) more interested in DD(2) and try to look past a prejudice formed a very long time ago.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I couldn't fathom people enjoying DD1 back in the days, and same thing with DD2, both games look so bland both artistically and mechanically, it's like a less autistic Monster Hunter (which I can at least get why people like it) with the most boring fantasy writing imaginable. Not a single post of yours even attempted to make me (or anyone, I'd bet) more interested in DD(2) and try to look past a prejudice formed a very long time ago.
Dragon's Dogma is a combat-focused game with a uniquely great combat system. Although action-based, combat in Dragon's Dogma is nonetheless RPG-like in that it has less emphasis on the player's skills versus character stats/abilities and in that it features a party of 4 characters providing synergy. Combat is satisfyingly tactile in a manner that's rare even among action games; you can be knocked down or held by enemies but also grip smaller enemies in turn, be borne aloft by harpy-like creatures, set enemies on fire, etc. Monster design enhances combat and particularly excels with the larger creatures (cyclopes, ogres, griffins, hydras, chimeras, and more), where teamwork is invaluable in defeating them (and it's always fun to crawl up the large monsters, if you aren't playing a mage/sorcerer). The game also features decent dungeon-crawling, the best character creator (in terms of appearance) ever devised, good itemisation, fairly good character customization that ties in well to the combat through the mix of vocation and skills selected, some memorable quests, and even a bit of Choice & Consequences.

UXtylru.png
Ph2tS3f.png

Odoryuk

Educated
Dragon's Dogma is a combat-focused game with a uniquely great combat system. Although action-based, combat in Dragon's Dogma is nonetheless RPG-like in that it has less emphasis on the player's skills versus character stats/abilities and in that it features a party of 4 characters providing synergy. Combat is satisfyingly tactile in a manner that's rare even among action games; you can be knocked down or held by enemies but also grip smaller enemies in turn, be borne aloft by harpy-like creatures, set enemies on fire, etc. Monster design enhances combat and particularly excels with the larger creatures (cyclopes, ogres, griffins, hydras, chimeras, and more), where teamwork is invaluable in defeating them (and it's always fun to crawl up the large monsters, if you aren't playing a mage/sorcerer). The game also features decent dungeon-crawling, the best character creator (in terms of appearance) ever devised, good itemisation, fairly good character customization that ties in well to the combat through the mix of vocation and skills selected, some memorable quests, and even a bit of Choice & Consequences.

UXtylru.png
Ph2tS3f.png
Thanks. Cat's annoying posts left no objectivity in me to judge this series, so I'm not gonna try it in the nearest future, but I will give it another try someday, I love good dungeon crawling.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Thanks. Cat's annoying posts left no objectivity in me to judge this series, so I'm not gonna try it in the nearest future, but I will give it another try someday, I love good dungeon crawling.
What did you need me to say? Zed's post was pretty solid but he left out some highlights. The quest design is second to none. You could complete a quest or seemingly fail it and still feel satisfied, but that same quest could have certain repercussions related to a seemingly unrelated quest. It's the type of shit games like Mass Effect and Witcher brag about having, but don't deliver on. DD2 delivers on it not once, not twice, or a third time, but fucking constantly from beginning to end. Most decisions you make have some sort of consequence. That's real RPG shit. And the combat is brilliant as Zed pointed out, among other things. DD2 is just that good, and it deserves being defended because a bunch of mongoloids trashed it after it launched meaning we'll probably never see anything else like it again. We'll see plenty of Elden Ring for years and years to come. This is why I'm so defensive of DD2.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Does it run like shit outside of the two major cities?
It's certainly playable and the cities are by far the worst offenders, but you kinda get the feeling the engine just doesn't fit the game format, how it looks and how it runs just doesn't compute compared to other games. My guess is it has something to do with the "physics" and AI which feel pretty simulationy, say Death Stranding vs something much more basic like Elden Ring. Except Death Stranding doesn't have wads of characters mulling about, which DD2 does.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I think it's perfectly playable in and out of the cities. You're rarely doing anything super important inside the cities, so the slowdowns are a nothingburger. Regardless, Capcom will only take the negative complaints to heart, bring the game out to the woodshed, and blow it's fucking head off. These tiny "issues" are why we can't have nice things. The game ran great for me while I was out adventuring. But this Is likely the last time I will have this kind of fun.
f28a9f93396eae5ca78ded30a4b68f66.gif

FS games are wonderful but I wanted Dragon's Dogma to thrive as well.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Okay, so so far today I've had to clean up a bunch of tranny posts in here made by Skinwalker, and, just now, respond to a report made by Skinwalker complaining that SDG is posting too much DD2 content in this thread.

Hmm, what to do?

Ban both of them from the thread?
Looks like you've got to do it again because SDG again cannot stop trying to turn the thread into DD2. I would argue discussing if playing a tranny in elden ring is at least on topic. Where this is an intentional sabotage by a schizophrenic drunk. Give him a week long thread ban and if he continues to try and stir the pot it doubles from the last one. Gives him the chance to redeem himself.
I tried the original and it's over hyped by the fanbase. I thought the "Epic cyclops" and it was firing arrows at it's eye or climbing it's back to stab it in the eye while your 3 team mates kept spamming healing spells. I'm convinced the people who like DD are lonely people wanting a coop experience rather than actually enjoying the game. It's always vague recommendations about how amazing it is, but there's never any weight to any of it.

Do Elden Ring enemies dodge arrows like they do spells? I was thinking of doing bow only for the entire series but there's no point if the NPCs auto dodge every time you do a ranged attack. I don't think they did when I did my bubble play through but have homing bubbles and bubble spam to fix that issue so I may have forgot.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Meh, it will recover, the game is fun and if they manage to optimize it all will be forgiven.

I tried the original and it's over hyped by the fanbase. I thought the "Epic cyclops" and it was firing arrows at it's eye or climbing it's back to stab it in the eye while your 3 team mates kept spamming healing spells. I'm convinced the people who like DD are lonely people wanting a coop experience rather than actually enjoying the game. It's always vague recommendations about how amazing it is, but there's never any weight to any of it.
You either get it or you don't, you don't.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Meh, it will recover, the game is fun and if they manage to optimize it all will be forgiven.

The game sucks, there's nothing to get.

Now can we talk about Elden ring instead of Drag queens dogma?

Cheesedragon117

Educated

The game sucks, there's nothing to get.

Now can we talk about Elden ring instead of Drag queens dogma?
Sure! You first though, since all you've done so far is shill Ubisoft, mindlessly bash the game and started pointless arguments about culture war garbage.

Honestly, your misconceptions about ER are so utterly bizarre that i'm legitimately wondering if we're even talking about the same game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom