Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Dr1f7

Scholar
lm@o I thout this gmae was suppose 2 be hard? the boses dont even attack LOL
ez-est game evar

ez1.gif
ez2.gif
ez3.gif

Ivan

Arcane
It is done. Some tips for those still struggling with the final boss of DLC:

-learning his melee moves isn't too bad, die until you get a good feel to see what worth blocking/dodging through
-learn to dodge through the grav attacks
-2nd half- it's better to tank the light attacks than his actual swings. always try to keep your HP up, punish him when the 2nd round begins, he just stands there for a bit
-I contemplated using a ranged summon, but just went with the mimic as I found him to be the tankiest
my favorite part of the fight was learning to dodge/block his melee moves + the grav attacks. my FPS tanked bad in round 2, his AOE attack always sent my FPS to the ~17 range

Hell Swarm

Learned
It is done. Some tips for those still struggling with the final boss of DLC:

-learning his melee moves isn't too bad, die until you get a good feel to see what worth blocking/dodging through
-learn to dodge through the grav attacks
-2nd half- it's better to tank the light attacks than his actual swings. always try to keep your HP up, punish him when the 2nd round begins, he just stands there for a bit
-I contemplated using a ranged summon, but just went with the mimic as I found him to be the tankiest
my favorite part of the fight was learning to dodge/block his melee moves + the grav attacks. my FPS tanked bad in round 2, his AOE attack always sent my FPS to the ~17 range
You can parry all of his basic combos and the holy never spawns after if you do in phase 2. He's exploitable as hell.

Crayll

Liturgist
The environmental storytelling is good enough that watching lore videos would cheapen it. Finding the
Shaman Village
and suddenly understanding how the DLC world's and a major character's backstory, several item descriptions, some ghost dialogue, and a few enemy types all tie together is just great.

Melina is still a mystery to me. Sure, she's probably the Gloom Eyed Queen but how? Did she went against her mother with the power of death and then was beaten in the head by Marika until losing his memories and waking up at the foor of the erdtree like an amnesiac? Questions, questions.
There's something of a bizarre theory out there that Marika is the GEQ which has more circumstantial evidence than you'd expect. Especially with the visual simularity of Shaman Village and the godskin's Dominula Village.
It's the only GEQ theory that makes sense to me. We know:

1. The GEQ was an Empyrean. All known Empyreans are children of Marika, other than possibly the GEQ
2. The GEQ and the black flame used the power of the Rune of Death
3. Maliketh defeated the GEQ and sealed the Rune of Death
4. We find Melina destroyed and without a body for an unknown reason. Her eye is sealed with a mark that resembles Maliketh's beast claw. She's almost certainly the daughter of Marika.
5. She can serve as kindling and as shown in the DLC, has had visions of fire. The GEQ is associated with fire through the black flame.
6. In the FF ending, after Maliketh is defeated, she opens her no longer sealed eye and it's a dusky (gloam) grey

Seems most likely Melina was the GEQ, rebelled against Marika for whatever reason, then got her ass kicked into being an amnesiac spirit.

Hell Swarm

Learned
It's funny how the absolute shitters who don't play the game want to comment on what the DLC is. Must be really tough getting to the starting area and realizing you're too mentally retarded to find the first real boss.

Silva

Arcane
The environmental storytelling is good enough that watching lore videos would cheapen it. Finding the
Shaman Village
and suddenly understanding how the DLC world's and a major character's backstory, several item descriptions, some ghost dialogue, and a few enemy types all tie together is just great.

Melina is still a mystery to me. Sure, she's probably the Gloom Eyed Queen but how? Did she went against her mother with the power of death and then was beaten in the head by Marika until losing his memories and waking up at the foor of the erdtree like an amnesiac? Questions, questions.
There's something of a bizarre theory out there that Marika is the GEQ which has more circumstantial evidence than you'd expect. Especially with the visual simularity of Shaman Village and the godskin's Dominula Village.
It's the only GEQ theory that makes sense to me. We know:

1. The GEQ was an Empyrean. All known Empyreans are children of Marika, other than possibly the GEQ
2. The GEQ and the black flame used the power of the Rune of Death
3. Maliketh defeated the GEQ and sealed the Rune of Death
4. We find Melina destroyed and without a body for an unknown reason. Her eye is sealed with a mark that resembles Maliketh's beast claw. She's almost certainly the daughter of Marika.
5. She can serve as kindling and as shown in the DLC, has had visions of fire. The GEQ is associated with fire through the black flame.
6. In the FF ending, after Maliketh is defeated, she opens her no longer sealed eye and it's a dusky (gloam) grey

Seems most likely Melina was the GEQ, rebelled against Marika for whatever reason, then got her ass kicked into being an amnesiac spirit.
Good summary. Seems the most logical conclusion.

And nice catch with the Gurrang stone eye being claw-marked in positions that fit Melina's scars. I haven't noticed that before..

meb6b2n2dps81.jpg

The GEQ could even be an entity inside Melina just like Messmer's base serpent. Who knows.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
You can faceroll most bosses with comet azure. Moonlight sword and moonveil katana are busted weapons. Int build is EZ mode in this game. I find it hard to believe Sorcs get gimped that badly in the expansion.

So far my standard tactic of buff + crush with holy sword lazors works on everything, and I just use a basic bronze shield + dodgeroll, no greatshield. I admit Rellana felt a little cheap when she killed me in 3 hits from a single combo after I biffed a dodge, but I got her on my second try. And I'm not a super good souls player, I'd never subject myself to a SL 1 run or anything like that.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The Dueling Shield is absurdly good. Just found it last night, and upgraded and started using it tonight. Swapped out its ash of war to one that causes bleed, and oh man, this is now a complete tool of destruction.

Been playing around with a lot of the new weapons, but have been sticking mostly with Beast Claws, Dry-Leaf Arts, and the Dragon-Hunter's Great Katana. Too early to tell, but Dueling Shield might have just taken the throne.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Yeah Messmer is fuckin bullshit. I'm cheesing this bitch.
Oh look another one of the "This game is so easy why even try" crowd meets a medium difficulty DLC boss and suddenly they have to cheese them. Strange how these people are all the same and show they have no skill or personality, just a wiki and an I win button.
Looks like there's a new hero in town. The time of Let MeSoloHer has passed, the era of LetMeTankHim has begun:
Leave Reddit on Reddit. It's fucking cancer to beat a boss for someone else. I had considered putting summon signs down to learn the boss better for a SL1 run but I don't want to carry someone else and ruin their game. Could also do with spoiling since it's showing the last boss. Not everyone can do the DLC in 1 week.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Oh look another one of the "This game is so easy why even try" crowd meets a medium difficulty DLC boss and suddenly they have to cheese them. Strange how these people are all the same and show they have no skill or personality, just a wiki and an I win button.
Looks like there's a new hero in town. The time of Let MeSoloHer has passed, the era of LetMeTankHim has begun:
Leave Reddit on Reddit. It's fucking cancer to beat a boss for someone else. I had considered putting summon signs down to learn the boss better for a SL1 run but I don't want to carry someone else and ruin their game. Could also do with spoiling since it's showing the last boss. Not everyone can do the DLC in 1 week.
Personally I think it's pretty great you can beat everything in the game by using heavy armour and a great shield+pointed stick combo. No more having to rely on goofy looking rollspam to win.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Personally I think it's pretty great you can beat everything in the game by using heavy armour and a great shield+pointed stick combo. No more having to rely on goofy looking rollspam to win.
Blocking looks just as goofy but it's not about how you beat the boss yourself. It's wannabe e-celebs trying to create online identities through ruining the game for others. Summons shouldn't be enabled until NG+ when a player has proven they can beat every boss solo.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Man Shadow Keep is excellent. Best legacy dungeon in Elden Ring, base game included. It's enormous. Shame the bosses there suck ass.
I liked the church district. With the water you have to drain and how you travel on the rooftops there beforehand.
And I also liked the grand arch--- I mean the specimen storeroom. 7 floors with many, many secrets and interconnectivity between floors.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I beat Midra and Messmer last night. Midra is far harder than Messmer, for me. Plus funnier. The way he stands with his arms stretched wide as he starts shooting you with bullshit, and he takes that stance a few times after he grabs you or does that explosion or whatever. IDK, it's goofy and made me laugh. But still, far harder (bullshit) than Assmer the butt impaler. Since playing with the fingerprint shield, Midra actually dealt a lot of stamina damage so at points it forces you to roll some attacks. It's preferable to blocking them. Plus before the fight, getting some madness resistance is crucial as he causes madness fast if he hits you with the spells. The grab is funny too.
Assmer is just eh. The shield was enough but I noticed in the DLC (and in the base game fir some bosses) that bosses change angles often, meaning the move to your side ir to your back and if you're locked on sometimes your character doesn't turn around in time to block an attack coming from those angles. Assmer likes this tactic a lot. So I had to dodge some attacks there as well. Used fingerprint shield and blood claws. Surprisingly they deal a lot of damage fast, especially if you apply buffs like howl of shabriri, golden vie, commander's standard, contagious fury, in that order so they stack. The claws also had bloodhound's step on them for second phase.
The DLC apparently also has dragon forms in it and they all look like shit, malnourished, retarded little baby dragons. Only DkS2 had the best looking dragon form. Who the fuck is designing these forms over there?
Whatever gonna go explore because I missed some stuff in various places.
Btw, pest threads is the furnace golem killer. Ancient death rancor is a close second. You're welcome.

Second this. Nice to able to invalidate any annoying PvE moveset at your discretion. As an example:
Blackgaol Night was the 1st boss I encountered in SotE. Fun scrap. Positioning matters, no overlong combos etc. didn't feel the need to cheese GC him to death. 7/10 would fight again.

On the way back to the initial overworld bonfire I aggroed some anorexic Omen-looking thing with dual frisbees. Intuited correctly that it would have an annoying, spazzy moveset but all the floaty double-kick backflip bollocks didn't matter when confronted with a FSS and Great Epee. Good to have that option in the back pocket if I can't be arsed to learn a moveset.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I'm tempted to take my Bubble mage through the DLC to see how bad casters have it. He can only use the bubble weapons weapon arts to deal damage. I wonder if I could find windows to blow my horn on most of these bosses.
Envoy's greathorn got nerfed in patch 1.12 lol. Also that sounds like hell. You may need to use endure to be able to do such slow weapon arts. All these bosses are very fast and aggressive. I'm not even using my thorns against bosses. I've mostly used an unsheathe nagakiba or a piercing fang iron greatsword. My spells are just for pest control and PvP to be honest.

Nathir

Liturgist
Messmer down. Had a few moves that were hard to read, but it wasn't the insane bullshit I expected based on all the complaints. Overall was a fun fight. So far so good, Bayle was probably the best fight for me so far. Something about ascending a huge mountain with lightning and wind blasting from everywhere, only to reach the biggest dragon you've ever seen at the top... The fight is also very fun and rewarding to learn I felt like. I also liked Igon but didn't summon him during the fight as I want to do everything with no summons/ashes first. Altough I might have missed some quest rewards/developments in doing so, same with not summoning the Hornsent for Messmer.

Rauh ruins and Shadow Keep I feel like I missed stuff... but not sure. Now with Messmers defeat I can progress forward.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I'm tempted to take my Bubble mage through the DLC to see how bad casters have it. He can only use the bubble weapons weapon arts to deal damage. I wonder if I could find windows to blow my horn on most of these bosses.
Envoy's greathorn got nerfed in patch 1.12 lol. Also that sounds like hell. You may need to use endure to be able to do such slow weapon arts. All these bosses are very fast and aggressive. I'm not even using my thorns against bosses. I've mostly used an unsheathe nagakiba or a piercing fang iron greatsword. My spells are just for pest control and PvP to be honest.
I know it got nerfed but it was completely broken before hand. You found 1 opening and staggered them to death. It was insane.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon-Hunter's Great Katana
I upgraded this and started using it, until I realised that I would just spam the weapon art exclusively, so I switched back to Milady (
fedora.png
). It doesn't do as much damage, but all of its moveset is useful and it doesn't make me spam the weapon art all the time. I find I'm having to avoid weapons like that katana, or the MLGS, otherwise I'm killing my own enjoyment.

On a different note, after having played some more I think the open world is a lot better in this than it was in the main game. The verticality is strong and the zones feel much less formulaic. Trying to find ways of reaching the high plateaus and deep gorges and riverbeds that are all around is a lot of fun, much more so than in the Lands Between where more things were on a level plane and neatly separated into different zones. This is much more an open world that you can really get lost in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom