Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
Probably old news for most but I found a glaring lore mistake.

The Root Resin description cites a "Greatree" separated from the Erdtree. Such a thing obviously doesn't exist in the setting and is clearly a leftover from some dev phase scratched concept.

Caim

Arcane

The Root Resin description cites a "Greatree" separated from the Erdtree. Such a thing obviously doesn't exist in the setting and is clearly a leftover from some dev phase scratched concept.
It's believed that this Greattree was the predecessor of the Erdtree, which may be linked to the Crucible that in turn is linked to the Crucible Knights.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane

It's believed that this Greatree was the predecessor of the Erdtree, which may be linked to the Crucible that in turn is linked to the Crucible Knights.
The item description doesn't make any sense though:

Resin secreted from the roots of the Greattree.
Can also be found near trees on the surface.
Material used in crafting items.

The roots of the Greattree were once linked to those of the Erdtree,
or so they say,
and it is for this reason catacombs are built around Greattree roots.

Catacombs are not built around Greatree roots, but of Erdtree roots as part of the whole rebirth process in Erdtree era. And what info we have from the pre-Erdtree era, death was related to Deathbirds not trees.

This description makes no sense at all.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's believed that this Greatree was the predecessor of the Erdtree, which may be linked to the Crucible that in turn is linked to the Crucible Knights.

or so they say,

Catacombs are not built around Greatree roots, but of Erdtree roots as part of the whole rebirth process in Erdtree era. And what info we have from the pre-Erdtree era, death was related to Deathbirds not trees.

Could be translation. Could be changes in story. Could be why do you guys get so obsessive about flavour text in a game about exploration and pummeling demigods?

Efe

Erudite
before it was greattree
then it got all glowy
then it became erdtree

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Unrelated but I thought the tarnished were soldiers under the command of Godfrey. Godfrey was a general or some such in the army? Which means the tarnished he commanded were also part of the military, no matter what class you choose to start as. Classes = roles in that army?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
MmSQCy.jpg

Yuuuup, thanks for clearing it up guys, knew I could count on you.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
In Marika's own words:

My Lord, and thy warriors. I divest each of thee of thy grace.
With thine eyes dimmed, ye will be driven from the Lands Between.
Ye will wage war in a land afar, where ye will live, and die.
Well? Perhaps that might serve you in lieu of a maiden's guidance.

Then, after thy death, I will give back what I once claimed.
Return to the Lands Between, wage war, and brandish the Elden Ring.
Grow strong in the face of death. Warriors of my lord.
Lord Godfrey.

Alter Sack

Magister
Do you play the game with gamepad or keyboard and mouse?

My gamepad doesn't work with the game and playing with keyboard feels a bit odd for me.

Thinking about buying an xbox controller for pc.

I hope it will work with that.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

or so they say,

You missed the "or so they say," part of the description. Fromsoft lore is rooted in conjecture in hearsay. Are you treating the equally shady and sparse lore of the Deathbirds as more valid?

Given the game's theme of "grafting" it's entirely possible there was a "Greattree" that was the predecessor to the Erdtree, before the Elden Beast dropped down, and took its place.

Though I do admit the description is a bit muddily-worded, since it doesn't state why the catacombs were originally built that way, even though in the age of the Erdtree, it's clear the purpose is somehow related to the current cycle of Erdtree burial and rebirth, which is itself a contestable theory. It's all rooted in a sense of mystery, on purpose, to make the world feel bigger and more alive.

Do you play the game with gamepad or keyboard and mouse?

Steering wheel.

Bendu

Augur

or so they say,

You missed the "or so they say," part of the description. Fromsoft lore is rooted in conjecture in hearsay. Are you treating the equally shady and sparse lore of the Deathbirds as more valid?

Given the game's theme of "grafting" it's entirely possible there was a "Greattree" that was the predecessor to the Erdtree, before the Elden Beast dropped down, and took its place.

Though I do admit the description is a bit muddily-worded, since it doesn't state why the catacombs were originally built that way, even though in the age of the Erdtree, it's clear the purpose is somehow related to the current cycle of Erdtree burial and rebirth, which is itself a contestable theory. It's all rooted in a sense of mystery, on purpose, to make the world feel bigger and more alive.

It's probably just a mistranslation:

Silva

Arcane

or so they say,

It's probably just a mistranslation:

Thanks. It was obvious from the beginning for me, but it's nice to confirm it.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I am having trouble forcing myself to keep exploring and clearing out the wormface-infested forest ruins in Altus plateau. Is it just this one location, or have I finally had enough of replaying Elder Nig?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom