Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
PB never did save imports. They always went with a canon playthrough. It's a loss in terms of reactivity to your choices, that's for sure.

Still, sometimes they handle it well, sometimes they don't. Gothic 1 -> 2 was ok, because the ending was set, and it opened on something new, so your choices didn't matter as much in the sequel. ELEX's was bound to be an issue, because they gave you a choice on how to handle the Hybrid, and that choice would've had serious consequences in the sequel. But really, taking your choice into account might've meant different stories altogether, very hard to design for, especially with a small team, or they might've just sidelined the Hybrid and made him irrelevant offscreen with a bullshit story reason to not have to deal with the variability.

All design options lead to either negating / minimizing your choice in some way, not giving you one at all in the original game, or designing a different story for every significant choice in the sequel. Personally, I prefer having a choice rather than none, and it being taken into account within the same game at the very least. I can tolerate a canon ending as starting point for the sequel.

It's the same issue with character build, across all RPGs from any dev. You always reset to lvl 1 and fight mooks at the start, despite becoming a powerful dude before. Makes sense from a gameplay perspective, but not roleplay if the protagonist is the same. Again, Gothic 1 -> 2 was "ok", you were crushed under rocks so had to find your strength again, but still jarring. The Witcher didn't do any better. Yet somehow we accept the build choices negation much easier than with story and factions/relations choices, but it's the same. Really goes to prove that at heart, we're all storyfags.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I rarely buy games on release and prefer to wait until they are patched/stable, which also comes along with a lowered price in most cases. A direct continuation based on a save game would have added some motivation to pick up the game right now to continue where my Elex 1 playthrough ended Nov. 2021. Its not a particularly important feature but would have been a nice touch.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I rarely buy games on release and prefer to wait until they are patched/stable, which also comes along with a lowered price in most cases. A direct continuation based on a save game would have added some motivation to pick up the game right now to continue where my Elex 1 playthrough ended Nov. 2021. Its not a particularly important feature but would have been a nice touch.

Not only do they assume one ending, but the Hybrid dude is right back in the game from the start, like nothing happened. Oh yeah remember that time I tried to destroy the entire world? Lol I'm never drinking that much tequila again anyway let's get back to fixing this radio. Plus you have a pain in the ass son with the ugliest woman from the first game. So that's fun.

Peachcurl

Cipher

Not only do they assume one ending, but the Hybrid dude is right back in the game from the start, like nothing happened. Oh yeah remember that time I tried to destroy the entire world? Lol I'm never drinking that much tequila again anyway let's get back to fixing this radio. Plus you have a pain in the ass son with the ugliest woman from the first game. So that's fun.

At least they didn't give the biggest tits to the main characters sister again.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

At least they didn't give the biggest tits to the main characters sister again.
Next game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
so

troll-types

You might think to yourself - gee, these guys hit very hard and have much HP! I won't be able to take on them until I have the best arms and armour in the game!

And you would be correct to think that! At least in a game with a non-stupid combat system. Fortunately your buddy Darth Roxor is there to bail you out with his Patented Retardo Tactics.

All you need is: about 60 stranf and a corresponding melee weapon, some manoeuvre space, the backstab talent. Note: you don't really need this per se but with this set you can kill something like a cyclops pretty quickly. Tougher ones like ice giants will take a while longer.

We begin by sneaking up to a git. Then we engage the backstab power attack to poke him in the bum. If he decides to get angry and roar, you can follow up with another stab immediately, otherwise roll away or he'll swipe you ded. If it's night time and you caught him sleeping, you can even land three such backstabs at the start of the fight! Stupendous!

Still, two-three stabs in the butt are not going to bring the troll down, so now it's time to get those legs in motion. Trolls are just as vulnerable to the unbalancing attack after dodging as everything else in this game. So what you do is try to roll in such a way so as to stop at its flank - then you execute the special attack. If you've done it right, the troll will get pushed forward, away from you, exposing its fat bum. This is where you poke it in the said bum. Repeat the procedure until desired effect is achieved, which is I believe about 5 times, and don't forget to pick up them [troll_type] hearts for the statboost potions!

Codex Year of the Donut
If you're ranged you can take out trolls pretty much from the start. Just move out of way of the boulders it pulls from its ass.
Being ranged trivializes all the combat, the AI is too stupid to deal with it.

JDR13

Arcane
We begin by sneaking up to a git. Then we engage the backstab power attack to poke him in the bum. If he decides to get angry and roar, you can follow up with another stab immediately, otherwise roll away or he'll swipe you ded. If it's night time and you caught him sleeping, you can even land three such backstabs at the start of the fight! Stupendous!

What if we're not as good at poking trolls in the bum as you are?

vota DC

Augur
albs faction looks like military camp on the move, could probably wipe every other faction with their bots.

clerics are in some ruins and in general look like wouldnt be able to defend themselves from anyone. Yet during story time they throw attacks with sophisticated robots and you wonder whether they pulled them out of their assess somehow.

In general those late story missions with factions attacking other factions are quite disconnected. Seriously, where did those troops come from. Skyrim had more believable world building
Ahahah they send a robot army because Nasty insulted them.
Clerics are truly a minor faction here. They have just that castle.
Outlaws should be major faction: while they have few skills and they lost their capital they have a bigger base than clerics, they have guilds in berserker and morkon base and they have the beach base.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
men

- the fact that humanoid enemies don't use stamina for attacking is just... is just...
The combat calls for a community patch. By correcting those little things you've mentioned already, and a few others, the Fabled PB's Awsomememous Combat 1.0 would finally become a reality. At this rate, I am afraid we're going to see it with Risen VIII. VI if we feel optimistic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In case anyone was wondering, the big dam in Abessa is still physically present in the game. You just need around 30 cleansing potions to get to it :M

202204031739491.jpg

Also, if there's one thing about this game that can't be praised enough, it's that NPCs you need to accompany to places usually tend to SPRINT

JDR13

Arcane
Is it possible to switch to another major faction (Berserkers, Morkons, Albs) once you've joined one, or are Berserkers/Morkons to Outlaws and Albs to Clerics the only options?

Modron

Arcane
Is it possible to switch to another major faction (Berserkers, Morkons, Albs) once you've joined one, or are Berserkers/Morkons to Outlaws and Albs to Clerics the only options?
You cannot switch between the major factions no, there is another alternative of not even joining one at all.

JDR13

Arcane
You cannot switch between the major factions no, there is another alternative of not even joining one at all.

When you join the Outlaws or Clerics, you're still a member of your original faction and can learn skills from both factions, right?

JDR13

Arcane
Yep, that's why there's only a couple skills for Outlaws and Clerics.

Yeah, I figured that was probably why they had so few skills.

It's so disappointing what they did to the Clerics in this game. They had some really cool skills in Elex 1 even if they were overpowered.

Modron

Arcane
When you join the Outlaws or Clerics, you're still a member of your original faction and can learn skills from both factions, right?
Wut Angelo said it's mostly larp, with the actual in game differences being primarily what highest tier gear you get access to. Morkons/Outlaws got the best armor, Morks got the best melee weapons, et cetera.

Zerkers really don't have the best of anything besides 1 handed, best bow is a unique you can find, and their armor is really shitty.

https://www.neoseeker.com/elex-2/guides/Armour
https://www.neoseeker.com/elex-2/guides/Weapons

JDR13

Arcane
It doesn't seem like there's any incentive to go factionless. I guess the only reason to go that route is a greater challenge? Does anyone know if there's a special ending or something for not joining any faction?

notpl

Arbiter
Wut Angelo said it's mostly larp, with the actual in game differences being primarily what highest tier gear you get access to. Morkons/Outlaws got the best armor, Morks got the best melee weapons, et cetera.

Zerkers really don't have the best of anything besides 1 handed, best bow is a unique you can find, and their armor is really shitty.

https://www.neoseeker.com/elex-2/guides/Armour
https://www.neoseeker.com/elex-2/guides/Weapons
Rain of fire?

Modron

Arcane
It doesn't seem like there's any incentive to go factionless. I guess the only reason to go that route is a greater challenge? Does anyone know if there's a special ending or something for not joining any faction?
There is a participation award for doing so. You can get better amor later than any faction armor.

If you're the go everywhere take everything type you'll get enough captain axes to get the second best 1 handed melee weapon a couple times over, enough leadspreaders for the best shotgun, et cetera. You can steal enough damaged weapons to make the enhanced lazer rifle mk3 and enhanced plasma cannon mk2. Not to mention in most other categories uniques are the best in class. You really only miss out on slightly better 1 and 2 handed melee weapons by going factionless aside from the skills of course.
Rain of fire?
Still better to go outlaw after joining the zerkers and get 60 total more armor in addition to having the magic even if you don't plan on learning a single pointless stimulant skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom