Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think Kingdom Come showed the future of this style of RPG
God, I hope not. A static goody-two-shoes main character that makes all that cool stuff like NPC routines, and crime void, because narrative wise Henry would never murder anyone in their sleep. And in classic Vavra fashion, the story is set in stone, which made the open world pointless, at least to me.
Yeah that's not what I was talking about, like, at all.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Ok, finally finished, did everything, join Zerkers, 62 hours in total.

As I suspected, all the reservations some of our prestigious residents voiced are a bunk. The game is in no way, shape or form dramatically different/worse than Elex 1. In fact the biggest problem for me was the feeling I'm playing the exact same PB game I've been playing for the last 15 years.

I've never thought I'd say this...but I think I'm getting tired of the PB formula. You have a few companions you can recruit or run around with, you can join a faction, get their armor, rise in their ranks. There are learning points and teachers and and a tedious, boring grindfest of an endgame. Twenty goddamn years of PB cooking different soups based on the same fucking recipe.

Elex 2 is just more of Elex 1. The combat is a bit different, you have parries and ripostes now instead of combos, and you can shove your sword in mobs' asses from behind for astronomical damage which I utilized liberally. You can float and swing your sword now too. I guess it was a bit better than E1 combat? Dunno. After becoming a souls-likes fiend PB combat doesn't impress me anymore.

Graphix, sound, music....everything felt a bit worse than the first game. As if PB themselves are bored with their shit too and simply don't give as many fucks anymore as they used to. So yeah, everything is a tiny bit uglier but it's not like Elex 1 could've won any art design awards in the first place.

The best thing about the game was the new jetpack, more specifically the fact you can now jet forward. It might even be one of my favourite features in any RPG ever. I'd fuck it and marry it if I could.

The writing and story is the PB standard - very German, very functional, something any of us could write with a little editorial help. But we don't play PB games for the story and writing, do we.

Eh...so I'm not sure imma buy whatever PB is cooking next. And I've always considered myself a hardcore PB fan. But the standard PB fare just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think Kingdom Come showed the future of this style of RPG - real writing with real characters and real quests and real crime system and real NPC routines. I didn't like the KCD combat and there are no factions there but everything else is just miles above PB now. Pankratz and company got stuck in the past and they seem to be fresh out of fucks to give about it.

Embracer should let Pankratz go pursue his rock star career fulltime and hand over the Gothic IP to Warhorse. That's the only way to save it.
I don't agree with some parts, but then again, I respect such a collected way of expressing an opinion. Also, gz on finishing! Let's have a tea together over Elex V one day--finally a GoTY material combat in a game where Jax is his own father and the precursor to the Alien race became his fourth wife. Together with the Dex's non-material consciousness they unify all 5 alien fractions on all 3 planets, and finally, the universe can rest in piece peace for a while.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God, I hope not. A static goody-two-shoes main character that makes all that cool stuff like NPC routines, and crime void, because narrative wise Henry would never murder anyone in their sleep. And in classic Vavra fashion, the story is set in stone, which made the open world pointless, at least to me.
Yeah that's not what I was talking about, like, at all.
Then what did you mean?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Combat is "a bit" different, my ass. It's completely different and a whole lot worse. Parrying is unreliable due to stupid enemy animations. Basing the combat on stamina draining is cute as hell when you then fill up the bestiary with shit that is immune to stamina damage or have humanoids be able to keep bashing you even when their stamina reaches zero. That enemy humanoid enemies have different attack animations to Jax is completely retarded too. If you don't want to play the riposte roulette you are left mashing LMB until you win. Enemies with guns can just keep shooting you in the face at point blank while you're powerless to do anything against it. There's no special ammo or firing modes. Enemies generally don't play by the rules, you can pickpocket some guy's power sword and he'll immediately draw a lead pipe and clobber you to death with the same damage as with the sword. The combat is distilled garbo with nothing positive that could be said about it other than that aerial melee is surprisingly non-clunky for what you'd expect it to be.

"Elex 2 is just more of Elex 1" yeah how about no. They absolutely dropped the ball on exploration here and forgot to fill all the places they recycled with actual cool shit. Instead you just keep walking around empty spaces strewn with crates holding lettuce and teddy bears. In Elex 1 finding a random house in the wilderness felt exciting, here they couldn't even be bothered to MAKE THE DERELICT CONVERTERS INTERESTING, I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK EVEN?

Elex 2 is just an utter shit game. No amount of 'zumg kodex konsensus edgy wrong agayn' reality bending is ever going to change this.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The best thing about the game was the new jetpack, more specifically the fact you can now jet forward. It might even be one of my favourite features in any RPG ever. I'd fuck it and marry it if I could.
in elex1 they added jetpack because it was cheaper than fixing bugs around player being stuck in things
in elex2 they just did it properly

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Parrying is unreliable due to stupid enemy animations.
Actually I played spamming parry most of the time in early-mid game and it kinda felt good, I usually suck at parrying in games. Parry window is huge, its spammable and you can parry nearly all of the attacks types.
Or charge attack followed by a power attack but that one is tricky to pull of.
Backstab is usefull against giants.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Kingdom Come bored me. I appreciate it as an effort and looks like a lot of passion went into making it but i dropped it after around 12 hours or so.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Combat is "a bit" different, my ass. It's completely different and a whole lot worse. Parrying is unreliable due to stupid enemy animations. Basing the combat on stamina draining is cute as hell when you then fill up the bestiary with shit that is immune to stamina damage or have humanoids be able to keep bashing you even when their stamina reaches zero. That enemy humanoid enemies have different attack animations to Jax is completely retarded too. If you don't want to play the riposte roulette you are left mashing LMB until you win. Enemies with guns can just keep shooting you in the face at point blank while you're powerless to do anything against it. There's no special ammo or firing modes. Enemies generally don't play by the rules, you can pickpocket some guy's power sword and he'll immediately draw a lead pipe and clobber you to death with the same damage as with the sword. The combat is distilled garbo with nothing positive that could be said about it other than that aerial melee is surprisingly non-clunky for what you'd expect it to be.

"Elex 2 is just more of Elex 1" yeah how about no. They absolutely dropped the ball on exploration here and forgot to fill all the places they recycled with actual cool shit. Instead you just keep walking around empty spaces strewn with crates holding lettuce and teddy bears. In Elex 1 finding a random house in the wilderness felt exciting, here they couldn't even be bothered to MAKE THE DERELICT CONVERTERS INTERESTING, I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK EVEN?

Elex 2 is just an utter shit game. No amount of 'zumg kodex konsensus edgy wrong agayn' reality bending is ever going to change this.
I disagree and believe this is highly subjective and exaggerated. Exploration is just fine; not once have I seen things like "a skeleton in a crevice behind that strange hill with a message that leads to an item." The best unique weapons are hidden at places that are notoriously hard to clear/conquer yet often inviting--such as the highest skyscraper near Morkons; combat is a whole lot better and much more responsive than it used to be; and finally, I give you that there are some stupid designs / infringing features, such as that thing with enemees still bashing without stamina, but in general, I find it a lack of character to not be able to bear with some poor features for the sake of the whole. The former judgement feels like just another bitter for the sake of the status subjectiveness transformed into some nonsensical look-how-mighty-my-ideas-are wannabe objectivity.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The best unique weapons are hidden at places that are notoriously hard to clear/conquer yet often inviting
exactly, you learn early that every tall structure houses an item to be found. Much exploration, very rewarding

anyway i rate all those efforts to bait dariusz into writing review quite low

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The best unique weapons are hidden at places that are notoriously hard to clear/conquer yet often inviting
exactly, you learn early that every tall structure houses an item to be found. Much exploration, very rewarding

anyway i rate all those efforts to bait dariusz into writing review quite low
Strong words, if somewhat stereotypically unimaginative.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think Kingdom Come showed the future of this style of RPG - real writing with real characters

You're right, and I don't know how to say this but, this is like the hardest fucking thing in the industry.

Writers who work on nothing but books still struggle for this. And you expect the modern video game industry, in 2023, to pull this off?

Hope springs eternal I guess.

:salute::salute::salute::salute:

Ryzer

Arcane
Roxor, the way you detailed how Elex 2 was shit also reflects back to Elex 1 on how it could be well .... shit, hypothetically.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Played this for awhile and got bored once I had the best weapons and the challenge disappeared. That's how all PB games are but I feel like they pace it out better?

Usually armor is the gatekeeper for tougher enemies but in this it didn't even matter. It's the Gothic 3 problem where combat is more or less skill based (if dodge roll spam can be said to be a skill) and stats just determine how fast stuff dies. All the top end melee, lazor beams, and ice magic felt piss weak, while even a mid-tier shotgun rapes everything with ease. So the challenge is dependant entirely on your willingness to abuse the boomstick.

I would have probably kept slugging through the story for completionism sake but it crashed and lost progress too often for me to want to bother treading the same ground.

Roxor, the way you detailed how Elex 2 was shit also reflects back to Elex 1 on how it could be well .... shit, hypothetically.
That's part of the issue, though. ELEX was already far from being a flawless game. It was "mostly kinda good" DESPISE its collection of flaws and shortcomings.
Which makes even more... let's say jarring to see that ELEX 2 not only hardly fixed anything but somehow even managed to do worse in some areas.

Artyoan

Arbiter
After reading the last two pages I'm really hyped for when I get around to trying this game. Thanks guys.

soulburner

Cipher
Feels like everything is worse here than in Elex 1. Exploration is less rewarding, the story makes less sense, the graphics are uneven (the world looks ugly but the interiors are much more detailed), the combat system is pretty much a mindless click-to-kill mechanic (unless you find a one-shot-to-kill-all shotgun), the human models look funny, but have pretty good lip sync tech.

Somehow, even the Piranha Bytes' charm is gone.

The game was also abandoned by the developers - the DX11 mode still performs like crap and the DX12 mode has barely been updated since the beta, so we still have broken antialiasing, broken shadows (try walking around at the Morkons camp - your eyes will dry due to the ever changing shadows), ultra-bright foggy nights. The performance is still barely acceptable - the framerate increase is pretty impressive, but still not enough to stay at steady 60+ fps. Oh, and you download two copies of the game on Steam now. Seriously, there are two folders: one for the DX11 version and one for the DX12 with all the assets in both places. Double the size, double the fun.

I got Elex 2 through a giveaway, so at least I'm happy about not paying for it from my own pocket.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Feels like everything is worse here than in Elex 1. Exploration is less rewarding
Exploration is exactly the same as in E1. Mostly identical assets are strewn around mostly identical map and populated with mostly identical items arranged in mostly identical piles. You and Roxor must've played Elex 1 on some kind of drug to think it was dramatically different and/or better game.

the combat system is pretty much a mindless click-to-kill mechanic
Have you played on Easy? Because I assume only on Easy you can just stand, swing and tank through mobs' hits. On Hard that I played on the combat is decidedly not a mindless mouseclickfest, you have to dodge and parry and block and sometimes jet away to survive, even in the endgame.

soulburner

Cipher
The games' differences are not dramatic. The timed combat in E1 was interesting and fun when mastered, the sequel is much less engaging and you can kill everything by spamming the left mouse button. I play on normal, hard usually means enemies have too much health points, so I very rarely play on it. And I mostly shotgunned everything during my playthrough.
Exploration was more interesting in E1 because of the lore to be found - letters, audiologs describing what the world was like soon before the comet hit. E2 seems to "only" have a unique weapon in some remote areas.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
202203151241081.jpg

Daily reminder this kind of shit would have never happened in Elex 1.

BruceVC

Magister

I also disagree with this post, its definitely not a shit game and you exaggerating. Are you sure you didnt play Gothic 4 by mistake and thought it was Elex 2, thats probably what you did?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom