Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://wccftech.com/elex-ii-qa-much-more-responsive-combat-deeper-romances-and-more/

ELEX II Q&A – Much More Responsive Combat, Deeper Romances and Other Improvements

Shortly after the flurry of E3 2021 announcements died down, Piranha Bytes and THQ Nordic came forward with the reveal of ELEX II, the sequel to the 2017 open world roleplaying game set in a post-apocalyptic world where magic and technology both have a strong place.

The game isn't too far off its release date (Steam even briefly listed it for 2021, though that was replaced with 'Coming Soon' and THQ Nordic PR said launching this year is a goal that isn't ensured yet), so we gladly took the chance to send a list of questions about ELEX II to the developers. Below you'll also find the first glimpse of ELEX II gameplay, though it is obviously just a work-in-progress build.

What are the main innovations that you've put into ELEX II?

Piranha Bytes: True flying is the new feature everyone will notice, as well as aerial combat. Something that’s not jumping straight into your eyes is the increased density of content throughout the world. Although the game world did not grow compared to ELEX, there is much more to do in ELEX II. And the third most important change was the overhaul of the combat system. The players have more direct control, it’s up to the players to decide how long they raise a sword or a club to intensify an attack – the longer you hold, the harder you hit. That makes it much more dynamic than before. We’ve also overhauled the AI of your enemies and also redone all animations.

Did you look into importing saves from the first game? If not, how will the actions made by players in ELEX matter in ELEX II?

Piranha Bytes: We have indeed looked into it, but after analyzing ELEX and the players’ behaviour, we found out that over 90 % of all players hat chosen the finale we have now made canon for ELEX II.

How much time has it been since the events of the previous game? Will any former companions come back?

Piranha Bytes: Six years have passed and Jax has chosen to live alone in the wasteland of Carakis, leaving the other factions behind. But when he returns, he will still meet a lot of familiar faces, including some of his old companions. And they are willing to follow him again. But there will also be some new ones to cooperate with.

Will it be possible to revive them/for them to revive you, and to improve their capabilities by acquiring new skills or items?

Piranha Bytes: No, but they have different ways of helping you during combat and will come with an interesting backstory and quests to experience.

Can you elaborate on the new moral system? How will "creation vs. destruction" be different from the "cold" system in ELEX and how does it play into the different factions in the game?

Piranha Bytes: Your answers will have strong consequences – and we like contrasts. Depending on how you answer, on how you play your character, the world will react towards you. And you can even alter the end of the game and the state in that you leave the world behind when the game is over.

Speaking of factions, is Jax still restricted to only joining one at a time?

Piranha Bytes: There are more factions to choose from and we will tell you more about the factions soon.

Will romances be deeper and more involved in this sequel?

Piranha Bytes: Yes! There are more characters with whom Jax can get into a romantic relationship and the storylines of these characters are also more complex, giving more room for romances.

Will choices matter more in ELEX II? How many different endings can players expect?

Piranha Bytes: The world reacts heavily to the player’s choices, even entire battles are happening or not happening because of what the player did. Some consequences will be happening directly, some much much later, spanning over different acts. The choice of the faction you join is an important part of that experience, too. As for the endings: there are many. Depending on what faction you joined, what companions you chose, how you acted within the moral system, and several other choices in the game will lead to a specific ending, telling you what your actions have meant for the fate of the world and its characters.

The official website mentions a 'massively improved control system'. Does that mean combat animations will be smoother, delivering a less clunky experience?

Piranha Bytes: We wanted to improve, and we reacted to the player feedback. So, we have put a lot of effort into the new combat system, to make it feel more dynamic and react directly to the players’ input. It is much more responsive now than in ELEX. We have gone through several iterations, have made a lot of tests to bring it to the next level. One of the strengths of the combat system is the flexibility – melee or magic, range or reinforcements. You can lure any enemy into a bunch of guards around the corner or fight them from above or use quick attacks & dodge. There are always many different ways to overcome an enemy. Our goal was to offer the players an entertaining experience and not to punish them for not reacting in exactly the right way.

Did you improve the balance? In ELEX, some of the enemies in the early portion of the game were just too strong, and some of the requirements to wield rarer items felt too high.

Piranha Bytes: Generally speaking, we have a lot of enemies who are a big threat for low-level players, so it’s important to be careful until you are strong enough – like it has been the case in Piranha Bytes games all the time. For some quests, however, we are making exemptions from this rule, most notably some companion quests. It’s up to the player when to start them – maybe in the first act, maybe even in the last act. And we neither want them to cut through these quests like Moses through the Red Sea nor we want players to be slaughtered by a rat.

Therefore, some quests will have a level range for their enemies to make them an interesting experience whenever the player decides to start them. But the feeling of a player, coming back to an enemy like a giant Mountain Troll that kicked his *** some character levels ago and now finally being able to beat it is a core experience of every Piranha Bytes game and of ELEX II as well.

Is it possible in ELEX II to fully specialize in a single combat style, for example, magic?

Piranha Bytes: Absolutely. You won’t start with any specialization, but if you are aiming to become a magic user, you should think of joining the Berserkers, for example. But as typical for Piranha Bytes games, you don’t pick your class at the very beginning of the game but you develop it as you like while you are playing.

Are there any changes/tweaks to the way Jax acquires skills? Can they be customized?

Piranha Bytes: No.

Is there a greater variety of NPCs, both in terms of visuals and abilities? Will there be more unique boss fights, too?

Piranha Bytes: Yes, the variety is greater. With the added aerial combat and the flying enemies alone, there will be plenty of new creatures and adversaries. Boss fights won’t be special staged or scripted events in closed encounters but organic parts of the open world and fit perfectly in their surroundings. Each boss encounter just happens as part of the open world experience, so you will be able to move out of the combat if you realize you can’t finish the enemy yet. You will definitely meet powerful enemies with special attacks, but ELEX II is not a Souls-like at all.

How many new weapons are in ELEX II? Were there any major changes to the existing ones players already used in the first title?

Piranha Bytes: There will be many weapons from bows to rocket launchers and axes to chainswords. There will be shields and twohanded weapons and you will even be able to use melee and ranged weapons in aerial combat.

What kind of technical improvements did you bring to your own engine?

Piranha Bytes: At the moment, we are not ready to talk about any technical details. We will use the remaining time until the release to exactly specify, what technical features each version will offer on what hardware. We are trying to put in as many features as possible while keeping good performance. But we are not certain yet, what the final results will be and we will address this topic closer to the release when we are certain.

Thank you for your time.

Murk

Arcane
LoL that melee gives me cancer,it is painful to see how wide and overcomited the swings are. It is painful to watch,it is clear that the devs haven't seen a sword in their life.

I don't really mind if the animation isn't realistic so long as it's not delayed and awkward to actually use.

The aerial melee combat doesn't look great though.

I'm hoping the footage is all kind of unfinished, the audio definitely is and some of the animations seem to be missing or incomplete (the new jetpack's).

From what I could tell the footage was on console too -- at one point it says 'press X to loot' when Jax is near a corpse, dunno why they'd show that instead of PC footage but eh. Germans.

Murk

Arcane
edit: I think I preferred the icebox robot voice actor in Elex 1 tbh, also, is 'Dex' Jax's son? Cuz lolololol.

Yeah it's his son. I'll think of him as "The 'dex". Hopefully he's an edgy autist.

Screenshot-2021-07-01-190537.png

So the canonical story is Jax knocks up Caja? Whack.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL that melee gives me cancer,it is painful to see how wide and overcomited the swings are. It is painful to watch,it is clear that the devs haven't seen a sword in their life.

I don't really mind if the animation isn't realistic so long as it's not delayed and awkward to actually use.

The aerial melee combat doesn't look great though.

I'm hoping the footage is all kind of unfinished, the audio definitely is and some of the animations seem to be missing or incomplete (the new jetpack's).

From what I could tell the footage was on console too -- at one point it says 'press X to loot' when Jax is near a corpse, dunno why they'd show that instead of PC footage but eh. Germans.
Yeah,they went full on anthem(lol spend 5 minutes wondering what was the name) with the aerial shit. The first one was great mainly because of the exploration,the jetpack gave you more verticality but its limitation limited the bloat. Now it is some kwan ironman garbage and feels generic and boring.

Honestly it is weird how they couldn't remake the risen melee combat. Hands down it have one of the best melee combats in a game for sure.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A few things I picked up from the previos:

- There will be "no stinking DLC"
- There will be 5 exclusive factions to join, all with different stuff, and a sixth ~mysteriooz~ one
- Stats now actually do shit and affect stuff like damage instead of just being skill/gear unlocks
- PB don't want to spoil why Jax got downgraded again
- Consequences for the new morality system are supposed to be more serious than cold in ELEX

I have some doubts about this new wombat.

jungl

Augur
gameplay is shit. They put zero effort in these games. There is no threat or sense of emergency you in a giant static open world with mindless mobs except its supposed to be a rpg but doesnt have half the interesting locales of something like morrowind has. Rpg part is shit and the action part is shit too n64 body harvest has better gameplay in this department.

Piranha bytes is is only good at making shovelware games.

ADL

Prophet
Everything about the gameplay looks significantly better. I know there's like zero chance of this happening but I'd love some sort of "enhanced edition" of the first game that retrofits the new combat system into it along with whatever engine-level technical improvements they've made between the two.

retinoid

Savant
So everything sounds fine aside from the Jet Pack flying across the map to me. My concerns mirror that of other people here - that it's going to ruin the sense of exploration and meaningful progression through the world for the sake of an "OMG YOU CAN FLY LIKE IRON MAN NOW" gimmick. Of course this is all dependent on how they implement the flying mechanic - if it's available form the early game then that's serious decline.

One part of me thinks they made this decision because they are reusing the old map but with different landmarks and altered geometry and they figured players wouldn't want to walk through the same old map yet again.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe it's for really late game when you have already cleared most of the map through exploration.

Codex Year of the Donut
is someone ever going to ask PB when they'll learn how to do save imports in one of the interviews?
I don't like my choices being constantly disregarded for a developer's favored path

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I laughed at aerial combat being some big touted thing in Anthem (when it was actually pretty lamely implemented), and I'm laughing at it in this.

City of Heroes had full aerial combat, easily and precisely controllable, in 2004. In an MMO.

That's superheroes/villains (the ones who'd picked flying as their travel power) being able to fire firebolts and whatnot at each other while flying through the air. In 2004. In an MMO.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Save imports has been a scam 95% of the time, both mechanically and narratively. The only few save imports that works is the one that promised little aka just nods towards the previous games and some little mechanical carry over.

Mechanically all games needs to have you start weak, so it’s like the witcher where you can carry over your awesome silver magic sword, which narratively should also be legendary in witcher 3, but become worthless 30 minutes into the game

Narratively, just laugh at bioware's attempt to create "branching multi games epic" that ended up in A/V cables choices

Ones that works i played is actually trails in the sky, where some npcs nods to the quests you did or did not in previous games, but did not change any of the plot or story, and only adds flavor and little continuity nod towards the overall experience

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom